Why move from the UK

paul1977

Guest The Pom Queen
It is not a question of comparing places like Nobu.

It it is a question that plagues WA. By accepting mediocre food. That is what what we get.

There is zero excuse for a restaurant based on the ocean front to serve frozen fish.

I watched an episode of Gordon Ramsey the other week where he tries and turns a restaurant around. This was one thing that drove him insane. They were right on the waterfront but using frozen fish. I have to admit I agreed with him. They ended up finding a local fisherman to supply them and the restaurant took off.

I know restaurants in Cairns love to slate each other over the frozen v fresh. If you are a cafe or a bar I don't think it matters but if you are on the seafront or a posh restaurant then I agree they should use fresh ingredients.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched an episode of Gordon Ramsey the other week where he tries and turns a restaurant around. This was one thing that drove him insane. They were right on the waterfront but using frozen fish. I have to admit I agreed with him. They ended up finding a local fisherman to supply them and the restaurant took off.

I know restaurants in Cairns love to slate each other over the frozen v fresh. If you are a cafe or a bar I don't think it matters but if you are on the seafront or a posh restaurant then I agree they should use fresh ingredients.

I saw that...he is obnoxious but entertaining...the bit where he was getting the chef to role play..priceless!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes and so was I BobJ!Not sure why you're laughing so much?My point was,as long as the fish was frozen on the day its caught,then its as fresh as it could be!Im not that fussy,so if I paid $16 for a meal of frozen fish,frozen chips and salad,I wouldn't be "reacting"at all!Even is said eatery was falsely advertising "fresh"fish and I got frozen?No biggie to me,especially for $16!If however I paid $85?I expect differently!

Just for you::ssign11:

I don't know if it's me but frozen food doesn't taste as good as fresh, but at the end of the day if people are happy to eat there and it's cheap then that's their choice

Ok this is my last post on this forum. Not for any grand gesture and not for anyone reason, but I personally don't need to constantly feel I have no valuable input which is what is happening every day I post anything really. I come on feeling happy, I leave feeling like a bomb is about to go off and I'm a deluded simpleton, and those in the know obviously know better.

This particular post was in relation to those saying budget food ( ie Wetherspoons etc.) is better value and better quality than anything you could find in Australia. I only know of my part of the world this one here and the one I used to live in. The tray of food I showed was $16.95. Offered by a lovely fish and chip cafe/bar in a lovely location. That tray ( in case there was any confusion, is a prawn cocktail, red snapper and chips, a side salad and a cake and coffee for $16.95. Last week the offer included a glass of white wine for $20). No where on their menu do they say they are marketing themselves as a high class restaurant and no where on their menu does it say their food isn't frozen. Sorry for being a dimwit and not caring if a nice budget meal is not haute cuisine.

I was mearly trying to point out that those of us who want to live here can do and can do on a budget including eating out. I apparently like to drink dolphin piss as wine, I like to eat shite frozen crap. Oh well so be it. I'm trying to point out that to the new arrivals you can still have a life and eat out etc.

But obviously if you want to eat $83 seafood towers, don't come here eh! Apparently London is the place to go, go figure.

Ok this is my last post on this forum. Not for any grand gesture and not for anyone reason, but I personally don't need to constantly feel I have no valuable input which is what is happening every day I post anything really. I come on feeling happy, I leave feeling like a bomb is about to go off and I'm a deluded simpleton, and those in the know obviously know better.

This particular post was in relation to those saying budget food ( ie Wetherspoons etc.) is better value and better quality than anything you could find in Australia. I only know of my part of the world this one here and the one I used to live in. The tray of food I showed was $16.95. Offered by a lovely fish and chip cafe/bar in a lovely location. That tray ( in case there was any confusion, is a prawn cocktail, red snapper and chips, a side salad and a cake and coffee for $16.95. Last week the offer included a glass of white wine for $20). No where on their menu do they say they are marketing themselves as a high class restaurant and no where on their menu does it say their food isn't frozen. Sorry for being a dimwit and not caring if a nice budget meal is not haute cuisine.

I was mearly trying to point out that those of us who want to live here can do and can do on a budget including eating out. I apparently like to drink dolphin piss as wine, I like to eat shite frozen crap. Oh well so be it. I'm trying to point out that to the new arrivals you can still have a life and eat out etc.

But obviously if you want to eat $83 seafood towers, don't come here eh! Apparently London is the place to go, go figure.

Well said Cath, yesterday myself, Sister,Brother in Law and his parents and my Mum went out for lunch, most of them had Steak S/W and chips $9.95 my Mum had fish and chips for $13.95 and was happy with her house red wine for $5, BIL parents are in their late 60's and pensioners and were so happy that they found somewhere they hadn't been to for many years that they could have a nice meal at a great price, no water or dolphins though as I live in a **** hole as everyone who doesn't live here tells me, you get a bargain with a lovely view, don't go please xxxxxx

Edited by Irishgirl1

Cath....most of us who live here agree with you. Take a breather and come back refreshed. It is wearing I grant you but we can only speak from our own experience..I did when you were coming out and now you know my words were 'true'. Take care lovely xx

Well said Cath, yesterday myself, Sister,Brother in Law and his parents and my Mum went out for lunch, most of them had Steak S/W and chips $9.95 my Mum had fish and chips for $13.95 and was happy with her house red wine for $5, BIL parents are in their late 60's and pensioners and were so happy that they found somewhere they hadn't been to for many years that they could have a nice meal at a great price, no water or dolphins though as I live in a **** hole as everyone who doesn't live here tells me, you get a bargain with a lovely view, don't go please xxxxxx

Funny....same poster thinks your area is a shitehole....strange how a lot of people (myself included) would love to move there....

Well I was on your side, and further to another post I made, the unnecessary reaction of some posters is exactly what I meant, and why I post rarely, some posters seem to delight in putting others down. There are some serious food snobs around.

I love that you post positive and happy posts, please continue to post, we need the balance, otherwise there will be none of us happy and contented posters who love living here left.

QSS I'd eat a frozen "crap"meal with you and drink a glass (or two lol)of dolphin piss with you anyday!I'm not food snob,and I would deffo eat where you did,all that for $20?Bargain! Please don't feel inferior for eating a good bloody value meal!That makes good sense to me.

Please don't leave the forum hon,I love your posts!:cry:

QSS I'd eat a frozen "crap"meal with you and drink a glass (or two lol)of dolphin piss with you anyday!I'm not food snob,and I would deffo eat where you did,all that for $20?Bargain! Please don't feel inferior for eating a good bloody value meal!That makes good sense to me.

Please don't leave the forum hon,I love your posts!:cry:

Me too..do I sense a theme here....'what makes people happy' and it isn't crap food and rubbish views.....

arghh...just logged on after a few days away and seen this.

Dont know what I missed....but think I know, if that makes sense.

Stay or go, its up to you....it can certainly be a strange place these days this forum, but that's not us, that's others with an agenda.

but....all I can say is, I know you personally, your an upbeat girl, your life that you speak off on here, is the life that you lead.

A v nice life, nothing too fancy, just taking pleasure in the v pleasant area we live in.

Enjoying the company of family n friends, making the most of the beautiful things we have around us.

I love our little meets....not that sitting chatting outside in the sunshine for five hours is that little!!

i hope you don't go for good, we need people like you to tell the truth on here, but at least I know I shall still get to see you:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

I really must be missing something here, can someone please pm me and let me know what the hell is going on!! On this thread all I've seen is differing opinions which is the nature of life. People love things people hate things it doesn't make either party right or wrong.

As this thread is now OT I will close but if anyone has an inclining to what's been happening whilst I've been away please let me know.