register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

teachingcouple

189 Visa - Family members English language ability

Hello

I am in the process of getting everything together to apply for a 189 visa as a teacher.

However I have just been reading the immi website and it says:

[h=4]Family members English language ability[/h]

• For each of your dependent applicants who are aged 18 years or older at the time of application must provide evidence of Functional English. If the applicant does not have evidence of having Functional English, you will need to provide a statement indicating your intention to pay the second instalment of the visa application charge.

(http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/189.aspx)

My wife is Swedish, holds a Swedish passport and speaks fluent English. However, she does not meet any of the requirements on the "functional english page" - http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx

My question is this: Will she be required to complete an English test (e.g. IELTS) for us to apply and do we have to get this done before we submit the expression of interest?

Thanks in advance

189 VISA: AITSL Submitted 27/03/14. Received 31/07/2014. 3rd attempt IELTS 22/01/2015 L=9.0 R=8.5 W=8.5 S=9.0. EOI Submitted: 23/01/2015. EOI Received 12/02/2015. Applied for Visa 13/02/2015. GRANT 16/06/2015!!

My question is this: Will she be required to complete an English test

From what you have posted, yes.

Secondary applicants do not have to pass an English test if you pay the so-called 'second instalment' of the VAC for each secondary applicant over 18 years of age. Last time I checked the amount was $4890, GST exempt.

do we have to get this done before we submit the expression of interest?

No.

Edited by wrussell
sp

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com