457 for 14mths of work?

jakc

I have an employer that has 14 months of work that they need me for.

This is tied to a 14 month contract of full time work (likely renewed later on).

They are a large company and have given out 457s to others, but usually for standard full time positions within the company.

I am trying to work out the best visa for the employer to nominate me for?

For a 457, do they need to guarantee 4 years or work, or would this be the right visa for 14 months of work?

I have an employer that has 14 months of work that they need me for.

This is tied to a 14 month contract of full time work (likely renewed later on).

They are a large company and have given out 457s to others, but usually for standard full time positions within the company.

I am trying to work out the best visa for the employer to nominate me for?

For a 457, do they need to guarantee 4 years or work, or would this be the right visa for 14 months of work?

The 457 can be for a period of 14 months rather than the traditional four years.

You may if your employer allows apply for a 186/187 permanent visa on arrival(Approx. 3-6 months to get), not sure how immi would take it if the employer has only stipulated 14 months on the 457 though.

Or, you could apply independent of your employer once here on the 457, based on your skills if you reach the points required.

The 457 has its drawbacks, but is a quick way of entering Australia.

This is actually what the 457 is designed for. It can be applied for any length of time up to 4 years.

Yes, you can apply for an independent visa anytime you want - the majority of people who emigrate have never held any other visa.

The he main issue with the 457 is it is a temp visa. It has no direct path to permanent residence

Just saying...what are your expectations, particularly long term. If you are looking to come to OZ for 14 months temporarily to fulfil a job contract and have a great experience with intentions to return home at the end of the contract, this sounds like a great opportunity! if your expectations are to stay for longer and possibly migrate (and many do successfully via the 457 route, whilst for others it hasn't been quite so successful) then I would recommend caution, particularly with such a short contract when a 457 can be for 4 years, I would seek professional advice with a registered migration agent. best of luck xxxx

All good advice so far, but if you didn't already know, the obligation for a 457 sponsor at the end of the work period is only to provide economy airfares for you and your dependants, back to your point of origin. There is no obligation to pay for personal effects or possessions to be shipped back. You might want to look through any contract that you are offered to see if they are prepared to ship belongings back, if you/they decide to return - that's not unreasonable at the negotiation stage.

You might also want to confirm who has the right to end the employment and what happens then - you say your employer might renew/extend, but what if they don't? You really don't need the stress of not knowing at 13 months if you are going home next month. Equally, you might not actually like it there and want to come home after 14 months (for a variety of reasons) - you might want to see if you can get them to agree a review, after say 11 months, to see where the future lies - then you have 3 months to 'get sorted'.

14 months is an 'odd' period for accommodation rentals which are usually for multiples of 6 months - if your employer is not providing somewhere for you to live, you want to make sure that you are not committed to paying rent on a place after you have left.

Good luck - hope it works out - 14 months is enough time to know if you like it there: you never know where it might lead.

A 457 can be for any length of time from 1 week to 4 years but can I suggest that you see if you can get the employer to allow your 457 to be for longer than 14 months. There will be no obligation on them to keep you on after the contract finishes, but a few extra months will give you time to see if you can find another 457 sponsor (or for them to nominate you for another 457). You have 90 days in which to find another sponsor if the original 457 is still valid but if the contract and 457 are both for 14 months, as soon as the contract ends, so will the 457 and you will have to leave Australia unless you have already been able to apply for a new visa.