Armed Siege in Sydney

Guest The Pom Queen

How many shots did the cops fire for gods sake. Would not be surprised if they themselves hit a few hostages I mean talk about trigger happy. One or two srategic shots is all it takes to take him down not emptying a clip

Do you have any idea about fighting in a building? room clearance? the situation inside the building? You have no idea what your talking about is my guess.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FFS leave the police alone, a bloody maniac is responsible for the deaths either way, not the police who risk their lives to save others.

Grow up. Never said the asshole wasn't responsible , just suggesting that in all the confusion some shots could of gone astray.chill out

I know it's a bad situation and everything but all this pouring out of grief, people crying and carrying on, unable to function was what I heard one woman say, does anyone else think it's way over the top? Me and the wife switched off the TV as the coverage was all a bit much. How many times do they need to show the same footage of people escaping? I know the TV companies are all scared to show anything else and they are competing against each other but god knows how a lot of people would cope today if they had to live through the second world war or something.

The angst shown by most is all a bit much. I think it puts it into perspective when you see the horrors that the Pakistani parents are having to put up with at the moment. Stories have to be forrific there to even make the news. The whole world seems to have got their knickers in a twist about one lone nutcase in Sydney.

Do you have any idea about fighting in a building? room clearance? the situation inside the building? You have no idea what your talking about is my guess.

Well I have had a few fights in buildings. usually throwing assholes out of pubs in my younger days.and also have a gun licence with an impeccable record. Does this count. Probably not i am not an expert maybe like you so enlighten me why I heard and seen so many shots fired thats all. I am not having a go at the excellent work they did just curious.i can imagine in all the confusion shots can go astray and that's all I was saying so get off your high horse.

I know it's a bad situation and everything but all this pouring out of grief, people crying and carrying on, unable to function was what I heard one woman say, does anyone else think it's way over the top? Me and the wife switched off the TV as the coverage was all a bit much. How many times do they need to show the same footage of people escaping? I know the TV companies are all scared to show anything else and they are competing against each other but god knows how a lot of people would cope today if they had to live through the second world war or something.

The angst shown by most is all a bit much. I think it puts it into perspective when you see the horrors that the Pakistani parents are having to put up with at the moment. Stories have to be forrific there to even make the news. The whole world seems to have got their knickers in a twist about one lone nutcase in Sydney.

Good post I tend to agree.i can't like for some reason

Guest littlesarah

Personally, I think there are a number of factors at play: genuine horror and distress at the way such violence occurred in this country, a reminder of our own mortality, and perhaps a lack of something to believe in. For those who have faith of some sort, matters of life and death have a bigger context, and are part of a journey of some sort. For those without faith, questions of what happens in death, the purpose of life, etc perhaps don't have any clear answers.

All this is just my musings, it's hard for me to imagine how I would feel if I didn't see life through the lens of my faith...

Some self righteous people are always quick to try to lay blame- it makes me barf quite frankly The man was a criminal, are they supposed to do nothing?

Hang on a minute. If your reply was to me you are seriously mixing me up with some lonely heart self righteous greeny.look I would of tortured that bastard no ifs or buts. This is an insult to me calling me some sympathiser.i could say things what I would like to do to his ilk as well but I got banned for saying it ( can't win) all I was saying is it sounded and looked like a lot of shots where fired. Give me a break. Was you in that cafe? Because it sounds like you know every detail. Basically you know as much as me sod all.By the way good job to the cops it could of ended worse.

.i can imagine in all the confusion shots can go astray and that's all I was saying so get off your high horse.

Of course they can go astray. There are no guarantees in a situation like that...the outcome could have been much worse given what the police had to work with. I would have thought that would be blindingly obvious.

Of course they can go astray. There are no guarantees in a situation like that...the outcome could have been much worse given what the police had to work with. I would have thought that would be blindingly obvious.

Well yeah obviously that's what I said. But are not these trained marksmen. Look from what I have heard like you. The brave manager tried to restless the gun from him. Shots where fired by the madman( too kind of word)in the struggle and the police had to react in seconds. Good on them my question was why so many shots ok it probably was flash bangs I have only seen the footage once. I don't like to dwell on other people's misfortune. But i totally agree with what they did in the situation that was presented to them that's all folks. Now stop giving me speeding tickets.:wink:as its Christmas and good will to all men/ women and all that.

Well I have had a few fights in buildings. usually throwing assholes out of pubs in my younger days.and also have a gun licence with an impeccable record. Does this count. Probably not i am not an expert maybe like you so enlighten me why I heard and seen so many shots fired thats all. I am not having a go at the excellent work they did just curious.i can imagine in all the confusion shots can go astray and that's all I was saying so get off your high horse.

Well I'm not on my high horse I'm simply saying you don't know what your talking about without having seen the situation inside the building at the time they went in it would be total utter guess work.

I'm also no expert and don't claim to be but I have had some training in building clearance although not hostage rescue. Just because shots are being fired doesn't mean they are intended to hit the hostage taker though. The fire could have been to suppress the gun man behind an object such as a door way to allow another person to move in closer for the kill while he is unable to step out and unload his shotgun in to the hostages. Of course this is all guess work and I do not claim it to be fact but there will be an explanation for why so many rounds were discharged.

The thing that worries me that since the police were already making terrorism arrests. These other terrorists will be thinking wow look how much terror and coverage this caused. It would be so easy to keep doing something similar

Maybe it's a reason not to be worried. There are dozens of ways that our lives could be disrupted or catastrophes provoked. Yet it doesn't happen. This was, after all, someone on the wrong side of the law seeing their life about to implode and looking for someone to blame except themselves. Much in common with other isolated killing sprees. Everywhere has them from time to time. Australia had one in Tas, I think. The UK had a famous case in Hungerford. There's not much you can do about them and they are exceedingly rare.

Far more to be worried about in Pakistan, where killings are far more common and relentlessly brutal. 130+ children dead and for what? No demands, no real political motive. Just to cause mayhem.

Maybe it's a reason not to be worried. There are dozens of ways that our lives could be disrupted or catastrophes provoked. Yet it doesn't happen. This was, after all, someone on the wrong side of the law seeing their life about to implode and looking for someone to blame except themselves. Much in common with other isolated killing sprees. Everywhere has them from time to time. Australia had one in Tas, I think. The UK had a famous case in Hungerford. There's not much you can do about them and they are exceedingly rare.

Far more to be worried about in Pakistan, where killings are far more common and relentlessly brutal. 130+ children dead and for what? No demands, no real political motive. Just to cause mayhem.

I still can't believe about these children. It's so sad. How can people be so evil :(

I still can't believe about these children. It's so sad. How can people be so evil :(

Exactly. Lone gunman living out their paranoid psychosis is one thing. But having to confront a group of like-minded maniacs is quite another. And for Pakistan, this isn't even the first time. It's a regular event. Kind of puts thing into perspective.

Well I'm not on my high horse I'm simply saying you don't know what your talking about without having seen the situation inside the building at the time they went in it would be total utter guess work.

I'm also no expert and don't claim to be but I have had some training in building clearance although not hostage rescue. Just because shots are being fired doesn't mean they are intended to hit the hostage taker though. The fire could have been to suppress the gun man behind an object such as a door way to allow another person to move in closer for the kill while he is unable to step out and unload his shotgun in to the hostages. Of course this is all guess work and I do not claim it to be fact but there will be an explanation for why so many rounds were discharged.

What? No one has seen the situation inside apart from the hostages and the hostage taker. Thankfully he is dead and I have a profound respect for what the police had to do in the seconds they had to achieve their goal,and that was to save lives but all I asked was the manner in which they saved lives. Look their will be questions. Hindsight is a wonderfully thing ie snipers should of took him out. I don't agree he could of had a bomb .and too shoot through glass the bullet could of deflected anywhere unless his face was a foot from the glass .but I digress I totally agree with your last paragraph.

How many shots did the cops fire for gods sake. Would not be surprised if they themselves hit a few hostages I mean talk about trigger happy. One or two srategic shots is all it takes to take him down not emptying a clip

Your original comment. You have no idea of what was going on inside and are making comments like this, you have no idea as nobody else does so can't be throwing comments around like that they were trigger happy.

Exactly. Lone gunman living out their paranoid psychosis is one thing. But having to confront a group of like-minded maniacs is quite another. And for Pakistan, this isn't even the first time. It's a regular event. Kind of puts thing into perspective.

This is what makes it more the sad. This could happen anywhere. I really feel for all our kids future.atleast in my generation it was the IRA but most the time they gave a warning these nutters killing people and blowing themselves up because of some twisted way of interpreting the Koran. What chance do we stand.apart from total interment. But that's no good because the good Muslims are fighting the bad how the hell can we tell the difference until its too late. I don't know what the answer is but I was in westfields today in the food court working on the fire escape door and it was so packed but quiet everyone was looking over their shoulder and looked on edge sad really being Christmas and all.

Archived