Advice on WHV/Banking/Medicare etc

Alix Fisher

Hi, I am new to this forum and need lots of advice!!

I am applying for my WHV (subclass 417) and at the moment I am a student radiographer up until June 2015 - I am hoping to come in September for a year / two years.. it asks me on the application what my occupation is? - What do I put? That I am a student radiographer until June then I am unemployed until I come to Oz???

I am looking for farm work, I want to apply for this BEFORE I come to oz as I don't want the messing around when I am there - my plans are to fly from UK to Sydney and spend a week or two relaxing and such .. I am wanting farm work also in order to earn money and eventually to be able to apply for my 2nd year visa .. Where should I start? How soon should I apply for work? ETC.

Does anyone have any websites that I can do a welcome week in Sydney - Similar to OzIntro but I want to compare a few..

I am wanting to open up a bank account before I come so I can start transferring money into it from the UK - how easy is it to do? What are the different banks, will I be able to pick up a bank card asap when I arrive in Oz? (I don't want any that offer me a minimum of so many dollars to be able to open it..

How do I apply for Medicare? As I am from the UK- does this entitle me for free health care.. Would this mean I don't need to get travel insurance that covers me for health care? Do I need to get it still to protect my belongings etc as I will be bringing my iPad/Go Pro...

Sorry for the long long post but I really need some advice on it all - many many thanks in advance and safe travels :) Alix

Hello. Welcome to poms in oz.

I'm not sure you would be able to apply for farm work first but I could be wrong. I think they usually want you to start very fast.

The other company I know that do welcome weeks is "ultimate travel". I was going to go with them but I'm not going to now. Just going to do everything myself.

I don't know about banks - maybe you could talk to John from moneycorp on here.

Sorry I couldn't help you more, I'm still new to most of the info too! Best of luck

Hi Stacey!! - What do you mean by I wouldn't be able to apply for farm work first? I have friends who have done this first then gone travelling? Has this changed on the WHV or something?? Confused haha... I want to start beginning of the season so this wouldn't be a prob with me!! You are brave going it alone.. When are you thinking of going?? :) Will look at ultimate travel thanks x

When you say applying first do you mean sending your CV while in the UK? Or do you mean doing farm work quickly when you get there? Sorry it's probably the way I read it lol I'm a bit tired.

Loads of people go alone so I wont be the first. I was going to do the package but I think I'm going to perth first plus I'm on a small budget so best to do it as cheaply as possible. I'm going in September. Yeah ultimate seem quite good, lots of reviews etc x

You could give it a go, I'm not sure or they'll reply till your getting there. Mines are quite basic too lol most on my list is the usual places.

Just because I know people there but I might completely change my mind. I'm quite open minded. I think landing in Sydney would be cool but I'm going to go there November/December. I'll have to decide what I'm doing soonish tho! X

I think I must have typed unemployed or maybe I just used my last occupation. It was just right after I had finished that job. I don't think it'll matter too much what you write tbh. As long as your not a dodgy character then I'm sure you'll get it approved lol. Your welcome, lots of people on here will help. There's quite a few backpackers too. Whereabouts are you from? :)

I'm hoping to apply for my visa this weekend, just got to speak to a few people then i'll be on my way - how soon did you get approved? So excited but nervous at the same time!! How come you feel stressed?? I'm off to Thailand next July for a month I'm so glad I don't need a visa for there!! Lol x