Going back after only 8 weeks!!

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Guest bohlesover

Gizmo, sorry this is nothing to do with the thread, can u help? i just cannot find how to post a thread? think i have dementia.

cheers karen

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bohlesover

B2B have you actually made a date to go back? do you feel better for having made your mind up? I hope so then you can treat the rest of your stay as a holiday. Have you already purchased a home in Oz? if so will you sell first or just go and let the agents deal with it? Very best to you. Karen

Gizmo, sorry this is nothing to do with the thread, can u help? i just cannot find how to post a thread? think i have dementia.

cheers karen

\Karen i had the same dimentia today too. For the life of me didnt see how to start a thread (although done one in the past) and so inadvertantly posted 2 threads the same!!

But to the OP . Good luck with going back to Bolton. I felt exactly the same after 8, 10, 20 weeks and even longer (been here Melbourne since Sept 06). Really bad days but although i still get them i have perked up as i work evenings and that gets me chatting to people and takes your mind off things. I still cant truly say i have settled and in that view we are thinking of relocating to Brisbane. Just a thought but you could try Melbourne it could work for both of us. Melbourne is more European anyway just a thought before you go spending all that money and putting the cats in quarantine. And i would rather try somewhere else first before heading back home as i know why we wanted to come in the first place. To escape grey drizzly days. REALLY bad traffic jams. Small expensive houses (here theyre big expensive houses). Miserable faces in the shops. Cheeky teenagers. The list goes on and i wont get into politics. I am not saying things are rosy here but for me the pros outweigh the cons and all Oz needs are my friends and family but they will visit and i will make new friends along the way.

Hey now i have really cheered up

All the best for whatever you do

Georgina

When we visited good friends of ours last year when over in Perth on a Rekkie, we couldn't believe the difference...

They were all on for it and had visited Oz before, when it came to the day to go the nerves etc kicked in and the family ( Mother mainly) walked out and would have nothing to do with her son or grandsons, she felt hurt and maybe didn't think they would actually go through with it.

When they arrived in Perth they decided to leave there furniture in storage as they were not going to stay after all, they got rented and my friends wife cried her self to sleep most nights, they let their feeling calm down and agreed to give it 6 months just because of the expense and treat it like a extended holiday for the children's sake at least.

NOW...4 years later they are happy and settled, the mother eventually (2 years later) came for a visit and after seeing how they had settled and how much happier her grandchildren were made them promise never to come back to the UK as everything they had left for had only got worse.

They tell me it took them 18 months to settle and in the first year they hated moving and had even booked one way flights back and paid a deposit on them.

They told me " It will be 2 years before you know if you are going to stay, any sooner and you must be one of the lucky ones"

2 years seems to get mentioned a lot, we have also got friends who came back from Brisbane after 12 weeks and are now...6 months later going back to OZ....no wonder they call us ping-pong poms!!

Good Luck whatever you decide.:unsure:

Guest Pingpongpom

..Hi B2B:smile:..i really feel for you and your family..my OH felt like this for months and it really is hard!..he eventually did get through it but there was many a time the flights were nearly booked..you wont be the first nor the last to come back..i think after all the hard work that goes into it..the emotional rollercoaster and the huge move over to Aus..people just really hope it is going to work out for you in time..i personally think you have guts to make the move in the first place..even if only for 8 weeks..and even more guts to come back..it isn't easy..i love Aus and would wish everyone to, but it's not for all and i wish you all the best for your move home and hope you can settle smoothly..

Tess:cute:

Guest Les & Woz
Well finaly decided that this place is not for me, after much reflection cannot cope with these feelings and just want to get back on that plane. My partner has settled in and got a very good job with the Government, said that if it's not for me then just put it down to experiance.

I really dont think i can settle and didnt expect the emotions of not seeing parents and friends would affect me so much . We have spent thousands moving cats across who now have to go into quarentine for 6 months, bought all things new etc.

We came to OZ on 4 seperate occasions before we made the final decision, i feel so selfish as it was me who pushed for this move, sold our house, cars and for what daily crying and thousands of thoughts going on in my mind.

I dont think this is homesickness and given that i have never ever been this upset it is quite difficult to get your head around.

Need to start selling things now and get the cats and our flights booked for the next few weeks.

Many thanks for everones kind words to previous messages which i have posted.

Cheers.

Hi there

Really sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Why don't you just fly home for a visit before you make such a big decision to sell up all over again. It would be cheaper and it may help you settle? Really hope you get sorted out whatever you decide.

Lots of luck.

Les:yes:

As a newbie to this site and not yet in Australia (we are aiming to be out there for Sept this year) I have read through the whole of this link and there is such heartfelt support and advice offered to B2B, it restores your faith in your fellow man. Some of the comments are so touching and thought provoking that I've had tears in my eyes when I have read them. It's nice to know that there is this level of support and kindness out there.

I have the same apprehension as most people when it comes to moving so far away from our family and friends, we have the huge guilt of taking our wee son away from everyone that loves him, to a place where we know no-one, but I think it's a new life challenge that I know if we don't do, we'll regret it when we are older. If I stay out in Oz for good or return back to the UK at some point, I won't consider that we have failed, it will have just been an experience.

B2B You do what you feel is best for you and your family and lots of best wishes for the future where ever that may take you x

Guest taffy 62

Hi B2B

Sorry to hear your going back, please keep in touch and let us know how you feel when you get there.

What happened to your job was it because you felt you do'nt want to be here that your heart was'nt in it and thats why it did'nt work out?

Was you constantly thinking about back home rather than pushing forward in your new life.

I feel the same emotions as you but I have settled in Oz and it will always be my home now, but I have just moved interstate after 17 years and am feeling the same things to go back to victoria.

Hubby has said he will up and move back, wich will be hard as we will both have to find new jobs and for a lot less salary. and I was the same as you I pushed for the move to come here.

I agree with others I think its the feeling of familiar that we miss and a sence of community belonging, but it does take time to establish and it is hard to start all over again.

I wish you all the best in you decision and hope you will find happiness again in your life.

I think this website needs a smilie hug, I'm sending you one anyway.

Take care.

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Thanks all for the very very very kind words expressed. I've always said that i would sooner regret doing something than not at all. Friends back in the UK have said that we went with our hearts and it wasnt to be, which is more than a lot of folk have the guts to do.

Booking the cats to fly next week, then bloody quarentine for 6 months!! We will probably go a few weeks after that, made contact with work and got my old job back so the joys of sunny Bury soon await.

We will move back in with parents and just save up to get back on the property ladder. Yep i'll reflect and think "what if" but i've taken one thing from this and thats how strong our relationship is, now you cant put a price on that.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Good on you for having the courage to do it in the 1st place!

Good Luck on the return run! Keep in touch with us all here xx

you probably feel a weight has been lifted now you've made a decison. Good luck - at least you've had the courage to do what lots of people only talk about - a big decision to come to Aus - and even bigger one to go back. Be Happy ~ luv Ali

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bolton2Brisbane

How doo,

I just thought that i would give an update on my original post.....

Well been back in the UK exactly 1 week, now living with me mam & dad in my old room!! We managed to sell everything in OZ but at a loss, i dont like to reflect on this but given that i'm giving an honest account i'll give you all a run down on where all the money went.

Bought a new Camry when we arrived paid $30k, after 4 weeks got $21,500 visited over 8 dealerships and this was the best price which we got, they knew that we wanted to move back to UK so we were putty in their hands.

Lost $2k with the bond on the house

Cats are where the most expenditure lay, what with shipping them across and staying 30 day in quarentine, for us to ship them back and have to pay for 6 months quarentine this has cost us $21k.

One word of advice if anybody has pets who they are thinking of taking to OZ, then please look at the "pets passport scheme" if we had got the cats done whilst still in the UK they wouldnt have needed to go into Quarentine for 6 months and we could have collected them from the airport. Instead we are now travelling 110 roundtrip each weekend to visit them.

Our flights cost us $5k there and back, that dosent take into account the clothes whch we had to bin because we were over the 20kg limit!!

Cancelation cost of FOXTEL, Bigpond etc as with OZ everything is 24months contract this was around $500 dollars.

We bought everything new when we arrived ie: beds, TV, outdoor furniture, towels everything which you need, again we lost about $3k.

Then there is the cost of both Visa, i wouldt class this as a waste as this has enabled us to become permanent holders, but is still a factor as is the cost of coming to OZ on 3 other seperate occasions and all the associated costs.

SO HOW DO I FEEL NOW.......

Got off the plane at Manchester and got the train back to Bolton, all the scallies from Salford got on the train going to Blackpool, took one look at Mark and told quite firmly "it's your own f**king fault" with this just looked out of the window and could cry.

We were met by my parents at the train station and in all honesty i wasnt even excited to see them, given that i thought this was the overiding reason why i wanted to come back.

Went shopping to Asda yesterday and again looked all around me and thought "what have i done". We went out for a drink to Blackpool last night and my my my what a state the people were in. I dont want anybody to think that i'm being all prim & proper as i more than the next likes a drink, but everybody just looked like they wanted a fight.

We needed to buy a car due to visiting the cats plus not wanting to rely on parents car, this cost us £6200 for a new punto, so again more expense.

On the upside i have been given my job back in Bury so at least some money will be coming in to pay for our very expensive holiday in Brisbane!!

Do i regret coming back YOU BET, is it a possibility that we will return?. Whilst our visa will allow us both, the cost which we have incurred will result in us staying here for a good 12/18 months. Mark is very hesitent and said that i will feel the same as i did before and that i cant keep changing my mind as it is unfair.

We sold up in the UK and moved to OZ, sold up in OZ and moved back to the UK, only for me wanting to sell up in the UK and move back to OZ....

So what would i have done differently.....

Well apart from giving it longer-would have come back on holiday first (as a lot of you suggested)

Shipped the cats across when i was settled

Not bought a car so soon and rented one

Rented a fully furnished property in the first instance.

For anybody who is having a bad time in OZ and boy can i empatise with you, pease take note of this post and reflect. Nothing has changed for me since being back, are the friends who i missed so much knocking the door down to visit? am i seeing all those people who i thought i was missing?

The top and bottom of it is no, it's still the same nothing nor anybody has changed. The news is depressing as ever, people dont smile or take the time to say "hello" petrol is now £1.10p a litre etc.

Nobody could have changed my mind whilst in OZ as this was made up and i wanted to come back HOME. Maybe this is what i needed to consider what it was that i had left behind in OZ.

I dont think i'm going to soul search about the should i or shouldnt i have done, whats done IS done. Nobody has died, yep our bank balance is a hell of a lot lighter but we are both 30 and will work our way back up.

Please dont let this post put anybody off deciding what to do, go with your heart and give this SHORT LIFE a blast, i've always said that i would sooner regret doing something than not at all.

Who knows where we will be in the next 18 months (not Bolton i hope) :smile:

Thanks once again to all the people who took the time to respond to my original post, it did help honest.

Cheers.

Really great post, im sure it will help alot of people. Although you maybe regretting the move back-from your original post it sounded like it was the only thing you could have done. As you say-your both young and have the visas so atleast you always have the option of coming back. Thanks for taking the time to update.

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

I did respond to your original post and first of all can I say I think you are brave for being so honest! Not many people would admit to coming back after only 8 weeks and realising the mistake they had made + all the financial details. I must admit I did think you were bonkers for wanting to come back after such a short time but everyone's different and you felt that's what had to be done.

You are lucky to be so young, you can go back again in a couple of years when you will be a bit older and wiser and hopefully this time it will be different. Maybe you needed to do what you have done to find out where you want to be - just make your mind up - lol.

We are hoping to go to Melbourne in March 09 if we can sell the house! If not we will have to validate and wait. I am 47 this year so I am determined I will stay. I know I am gonna be hopelessly homesick but have to return to UK in Sep 11 for son's graduation so will know I am returning by which time things will probably be worse here and we will be convinced we made the right decision. Just hope my son will come back with us as he says he will and doesn't change his mind or I will be heart broken.

Look on the funny side - your must have the most travelled cats of all time especially if you do go back again! We are taking our baby (Ralph) he's half yorkie and half chihuhua.

Lots of luck

Les xx:v_SPIN:

(Please dont let this post put anybody off deciding what to do, go with your heart and give this SHORT LIFE a blast, i've always said that i would sooner regret doing something than not at all.)

Thank you for one of the best and most honest posts I have read. I don't think you will put people off but maybe make them sit down and truly think things through.

I have printed off this and your first post to remind us that we must be ready for the Major ups and downs that are sure to come and stick to our plan of staying 2 years before deciding....easier said than done I know, but I think your honesty will help us keep pushing for the better life we are looking for.

Good luck and well done on having the bottle to do it in the first place.

Well finaly decided that this place is not for me, after much reflection cannot cope with these feelings and just want to get back on that plane. My partner has settled in and got a very good job with the Government, said that if it's not for me then just put it down to experiance.

I really dont think i can settle and didnt expect the emotions of not seeing parents and friends would affect me so much . We have spent thousands moving cats across who now have to go into quarentine for 6 months, bought all things new etc.

We came to OZ on 4 seperate occasions before we made the final decision, i feel so selfish as it was me who pushed for this move, sold our house, cars and for what daily crying and thousands of thoughts going on in my mind.

I dont think this is homesickness and given that i have never ever been this upset it is quite difficult to get your head around.

Very diffficult decision to go back to uk! We have been here for 3 months now and homesickness comes in waves! One minute i love it and the next i dont! OH struggles sometimes with job and pay etc. I love my job but its very different! I hope you have made the right decision? You just have to go with your instincts. I would give it more than 8 weeks, personally. It took us a long time to decide to come here, so i would not go back to uk after only 8 weeks, thats me personally. Life here is different and you either adapt or it drives you insane!!! You just have to keep in mind why you came here :unsure: Good luck to you but i hope you deciide to stay

How doo,

I just thought that i would give an update on my original post.....

Well been back in the UK exactly 1 week, now living with me mam & dad in my old room!! We managed to sell everything in OZ but at a loss, i dont like to reflect on this but given that i'm giving an honest account i'll give you all a run down on where all the money went.

Bought a new Camry when we arrived paid $30k, after 4 weeks got $21,500 visited over 8 dealerships and this was the best price which we got, they knew that we wanted to move back to UK so we were putty in their hands.

Lost $2k with the bond on the house

Cats are where the most expenditure lay, what with shipping them across and staying 30 day in quarentine, for us to ship them back and have to pay for 6 months quarentine this has cost us $21k.

One word of advice if anybody has pets who they are thinking of taking to OZ, then please look at the "pets passport scheme" if we had got the cats done whilst still in the UK they wouldnt have needed to go into Quarentine for 6 months and we could have collected them from the airport. Instead we are now travelling 110 roundtrip each weekend to visit them.

Our flights cost us $5k there and back, that dosent take into account the clothes whch we had to bin because we were over the 20kg limit!!

Cancelation cost of FOXTEL, Bigpond etc as with OZ everything is 24months contract this was around $500 dollars.

We bought everything new when we arrived ie: beds, TV, outdoor furniture, towels everything which you need, again we lost about $3k.

Then there is the cost of both Visa, i wouldt class this as a waste as this has enabled us to become permanent holders, but is still a factor as is the cost of coming to OZ on 3 other seperate occasions and all the associated costs.

Got off the plane at Manchester and got the train back to Bolton, all the scallies from Salford got on the train going to Blackpool, took one look at Mark and told quite firmly "it's your own f**king fault" with this just looked out of the window and could cry.

We were met by my parents at the train station and in all honesty i wasnt even excited to see them, given that i thought this was the overiding reason why i wanted to come back.

Went shopping to Asda yesterday and again looked all around me and thought "what have i done". We went out for a drink to Blackpool last night and my my my what a state the people were in. I dont want anybody to think that i'm being all prim & proper as i more than the next likes a drink, but everybody just looked like they wanted a fight.

We needed to buy a car due to visiting the cats plus not wanting to rely on parents car, this cost us £6200 for a new punto, so again more expense.

On the upside i have been given my job back in Bury so at least some money will be coming in to pay for our very expensive holiday in Brisbane!!

Do i regret coming back YOU BET, is it a possibility that we will return?. Whilst our visa will allow us both, the cost which we have incurred will result in us staying here for a good 12/18 months. Mark is very hesitent and said that i will feel the same as i did before and that i cant keep changing my mind as it is unfair.

We sold up in the UK and moved to OZ, sold up in OZ and moved back to the UK, only for me wanting to sell up in the UK and move back to OZ....

Well apart from giving it longer-would have come back on holiday first (as a lot of you suggested)

For anybody who is having a bad time in OZ and boy can i empatise with you, pease take note of this post and reflect. Nothing has changed for me since being back, are the friends who i missed so much knocking the door down to visit? am i seeing all those people who i thought i was missing?

The top and bottom of it is no, it's still the same nothing nor anybody has changed. The news is depressing as ever, people dont smile or take the time to say "hello" petrol is now £1.10p a litre etc.

Nobody could have changed my mind whilst in OZ as this was made up and i wanted to come back HOME. Maybe this is what i needed to consider what it was that i had left behind in OZ.

I dont think i'm going to soul search about the should i or shouldnt i have done, whats done IS done. Nobody has died, yep our bank balance is a hell of a lot lighter but we are both 30 and will work our way back up.

Please dont let this post put anybody off deciding what to do, go with your heart and give this SHORT LIFE a blast, i've always said that i would sooner regret doing something than not at all.

Thanks once again to all the people who took the time to respond to my original post, it did help honest.

Cheers.

Good on yer to be so honest! I went back to uk after a month here, a family matter, and couldnt wat to come back to oz. It s a good learning curve, i think? You are still young enough to come and try again eh? Good luck to you!:cool:

How doo,

Cheers.

An upfront and truly honest post....thanks

I have been the driving force behind this move to Oz and sometimes feel that my OH is just nodding in agreement with everything I say although he has not said NO to anything. The point I am making is that from the start, I have made allowances for a contigency fund for his flight back home as I have a feeling that he will be the one who misses everything to do with family, friends etc the most. Watch this space to see if it is me who falls at the final hurdle and wants to come flying back.

Good luck with whatever you decide whether it be here in the UK or back in Oz.

Gill

Guest andretta01

I am so sorry to hear your upset. I felt like this two years ago, made my husband sell his business the house evern found the dog a new home {because i thought it would kinder than putting her in quarentine** spent loads on shiping, renting, flights ect made the long journey to Brisbane, i hated it missed home like mad and like you this was my fault we made the trip. I so tried to settle sobbing all the while i was there ,we went home after 5 weeks. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! we are not the same people we do not see any of the friends we came back for in fact we don't see anyone i hate the uk it is getting worse. PLEASE don't live to regret comeing back as we do.

We are going back to oz in July and i will make sure it works life is what you make it and hear in the uk your kids won't have the oppertunities over hear . GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL,

I KNOW YOU WILL DO THE RIGHT THING WHATEVER WAY YOU DECIDE TO GO

Kind regards Ang 0(*0*)0

Guest andretta01

I am so sorry to hear your upset. I felt like this two years ago, made my husband sell his business the house even found the dog a new home {because i thought it would kinder than putting her in quarentine** spent loads on shiping, renting, flights ect made the long journey to Brisbane. I hated it missed home like mad and like you this was my fault we made the trip. I so tried to settle sobbing all the while i was there ,we went home after 5 weeks. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! we are not the same people we do not see any of the friends we came back for in fact we don't see anyone i hate the uk it is getting worse. PLEASE don't live to regret comeing back as we do.

We are going back to oz in July and i will make sure it works life is what you make it and whilst we live hear in the uk the children do not stand a chance and they will not have the oppertunities over hear as they do over in oz . GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL,

I KNOW YOU WILL DO THE RIGHT THING.

Kind regards Ang 0(*0*)0

Hi Bolton2brisbane,

To be honest, in the last 2 years i have come so very close to doing exactly as you did many many times,im not quite sure what has stopped me from jumping ship perhaps i was scared to make another mistake.Life is one long lesson & if we didnt make any mistakes we woudnt learn anything. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that your life now takes a turn for the better & you begin to smile & feel happy again

all the best

stuju

Bolton2Brisbane THANK YOU so much for your very honest post. In my eyes you are a very brave person for trying what you felt was right for you and admitting that things haven't worked out for you.

You have done one thing for me in all of your posting - if ever it gets to the point where my OH or I feel that it is time to head back to the UK, we will definitely be holidaying first just to make sure. I'm not saying this to say it's what you should have done - no, you did what was right for you but I think many will read your thread and be helped by it.

Take care and keep popping on here to let us know how you are,

Felicity:cute:

Archived