visa extention help, i dont want to leave and running out of time!

Beth Edwards

I have been in Australia and my visa comes to an end beginning of march! stupidly I didn't do my farm work...and I have recently just moved to Sydney and am working as an au pair. I have completely fallen in love with the family, and Sydney and the last thing I could imagine doing in going back to the UK.

I have a few options on ways to extend but can au-pairs be sponsored? I have also met a guy who I'm crazy about and he does have an Aussie passport which is rather convenient haha...I just want to try the most legit ways of staying but on my very limited time frame!!!

Please help me!!!!

I have been in Australia and my visa comes to an end beginning of march! stupidly I didn't do my farm work...and I have recently just moved to Sydney and am working as an au pair. I have completely fallen in love with the family, and Sydney and the last thing I could imagine doing in going back to the UK.

I have a few options on ways to extend but can au-pairs be sponsored? I have also met a guy who I'm crazy about and he does have an Aussie passport which is rather convenient haha...I just want to try the most legit ways of staying but on my very limited time frame!!!

Please help me!!!!

The easy answer is to go and do the farm work now. You may just have time.

You don't qualify for any sort of partner visa as you have only just started dating someone. Unless you have a skill of some sort then you do not have any other options.

Edited by Sammy1

There's about 79-80 days between now and when the WHV runs out in the beginning of March so there's no way that 90 days rural work can be done.

I'd have thought that - assuming you're not skilled in anything required on the CSOL - that your only option was a student visa.

This will buy you time while you build up the months needed living with your boyfriend to qualify for a Partner visa.

Please help me!!!!

It's impossible to be sponsored as an au pair or a nanny or any other kind of domestic or unskilled worker.

Apart from getting a Student visa to study in Australia which will be VERY expensive, you have no options on which you will be able to stay with any work rights. You will probably even have trouble getting a Visitor visa to allow a stay of another 3 months as a non-working tourist - that's what your WHV was supposed to be for.

A Partner visa may an option at some time in the future but at this stage, the only way you would have any chance of getting one would be if you marry your Australian boyfriend and if the relationship is pretty new, you would have an uphill battle to prove that it is a genuine marriage and not one entered into just so you could stay in Australia. It's possible in NSW to register a relationship which can provide an exemption from the One-Year Relationship requirement for de facto partners but you would have been living together for at least a few months in a marriage-like de facto relationship in order to have any chance of getting a Partner visa on that basis.

So, I'm afraid it's a Student visa or home to the UK.