Which airline?

Guest51810

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit early but wondering what airline I should be looking at? I'm on a budget but I also want to go with the best one I can afford since the flight will most likely be a nightmare for me. Was thinking maybe emirates (I think they fly direct from Glasgow) or maybe Singapore airlines? I think those are the two I've heard mentioned on here most

Hi SS,

If you join the airline membership schemes such as Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, etc. then you will get some fantastic deals via email. Most of these cant be beaten by price comparison websites. You don't have to pay a fee for joining the membership scheme and you won't need to book with them first to become a member.

I have flown to Australia many times and I found that most airlines are fairly similar.

However my first economy class flight to Sydney was with Etihad and at that time I'd never even heard of them so I was sceptical about them but it was the cheapest I could find and although the wait in Abu Dhabi was for 12 hours, Etihad provided a hotel and transport to and from it for free. The room was like a presidential suite and certainly the most flash hotel room i'd ever stayed in!

Another bonus is that the economy class cabin on both legs of the journey was practically empty and I, along with the others in the cabin (about 30 people in total) had the middle row of 5 seats all to ourselves so I lay flat and slept almost all of the way there.

I can't say that you'll be that lucky as Etihad is a more popular airline now and subsequent flights I've been on have been much busier but have been fairly pleasant (read bearable).

I've just booked with Emirates as although it wasn't the cheapest, it was close and the duration was less than 24 hours to Brisbane which isn't bad at all.

I can't recommend Singapore airlines as they have double booked my seat on two occasions and one was particularly awful as I was trying to get home from Aus for a family emergency....and they also lost my bags.

But I suppose there are many good and bad stories with every airline so my advice would be to do lots of research, go on sites like Kayak, Skyscanner, etc. balance the cost with the shortest duration flight and the minimum amount of stopovers unless they throw in a hotel at your stopover for free.

Thanks captain! I'll look at signing up to different membership schemes. I've signed up to flight centre and they send me deals sometimes. They've had returns for £500 before but not sure of the airlines. As long as it gets me there in one piece that's all that matters I suppose lol. I can't afford to book my flight the now anyway but I just want to know the price I'll have to pay (roughly) hopefully be able to book them by Easter

I flew Emirates last time I went back to Aust SS. The entertainment on board is really really good.Food good ect.The only bit I didn't like was Dubai airport.I was flying alone and as we departed the flight at Dubai airport,an emirates staff member told us our connecting flight departure lounge had changed and not to take any notice of the board.She directed us to another lounge which was like 20 mins to get to (Shuttle train,escalators and so on).Got there to then be told,no it hadn't changed and we all had to head back to the original lounge.Practically had to run to get the flight,so that bit was abit stressy.Apart from that though,it was a great flight.

I didn't like the Flightcentre, their reviews are really bad online. Whenever I saw special offers I would phone them (you cant buy most flights online) and they would quote much higher prices. I relied on Skyscanner and just booked the flights that way as I pretty much knew the price I saw was the available price.

Would anyone risk a 50 minute turnaround time at Dubai airport? It sounds great as it really does reduce the the flight time, but just a small delay getting there and your gonna miss the flight. What happens with in these situations? I'm not sure if I could take the risk, you would literally be running off one plane and on to the next!

I don't think I'd take that risk. I had a similar situation with southhampton airport when I was going to the Channel Islands. I had like 30 mins to get to the next plane but I didn't risk it even though the airports really small lol. I'm sure I remember reading Dubai airport was really big. Hopefully someone else will tell you wether you can do it or not

Would anyone risk a 50 minute turnaround time at Dubai airport? It sounds great as it really does reduce the the flight time, but just a small delay getting there and your gonna miss the flight. What happens with in these situations? I'm not sure if I could take the risk, you would literally be running off one plane and on to the next!

I'd risk it if it was a bona fide connection with the same airline. The airlines (usually) wait for delayed inbound flights otherwise you'll go on a later flight and normally be conpensated.

If it's a separate booking then 50 mins is a bit tight, if you miss it then it's probable you won't get your money back and still have to pay again for an onward flight.

We did just under an hour and a half layover at Dubia one way and I was worried it was tight, but we got through with loads of time to spare (well over 40 mins to spare). We flew Emirates both legs though and as a pp said, they do coordinate somewhat for you with delays ect. I probably wouldn't risk it with separate airlines, or with kids (as adults you can run like mad if needed and crash in a bar if you miss the next flight lol). If you are happy to rush through and not browse in the shops ect then its fine, Dubia is big and busy but they are organised and efficient with trains between terminals ect.

Ps, If it is with Emirates, they have their own terminal so usually you wont have to transfer between them. We did for some reason, but it could only happen to me :laugh: we hopped on the train and it took a few minutes if that to get from one terminal to the other.

Edited by M1cha3la

I've flown with Emirates , Etihad , BA , Malaysian Airlines , Singapore Airlines , Virgin Atlantic , United Airlines and most of them more than once over the last few years from Australia to the UK ..... If convenience is your priority , then I would suggest Emirates from Glasgow , however , for overall service then Singapore Airlines wins hands down .. Incidentally Emirates operate the Boeing 777 from Glasgow which is a 10 across seating configuration ! ... Almost every other airline operates the same aircraft in a 9 across setup, so they are a little " tighter " , and it shows after a few hours crammed in ..

Dave C

I think it's a bit tight, the norm is 1 1/2 hours. Is it a change of a/craft and airline? Because you have to factor in that your luggage has to be off loaded and reloaded not just you the passenger.

It takes a while from landing to off load the passengers, and on our last few trips through Dubai the plane hasn't gone to a walk off pier, but parked further away and we have then been bussed to the terminal, which took longer.

If it's with the same airline, and counts as a continuing flight, then you should be fine, otherwise from years in the airline industry I think you might be pushing it.

Hi Jlew, I got an update from lastminute saying I would hear soon... We had 3 childrens singles so we are hoping for £250ish back. Which makes our bargain Etihad flights around £2100 for 5 single LHR to BRIS journeys :-). Mega happy!

Edited by jac2011

Hi Jlew, I got an update from lastminute saying I would hear soon... We had 3 childrens singles so we are hoping for £250ish back. Which makes our bargain Etihad flights around £2100 for 5 single LHR to BRIS journeys :-). Mega happy!

Fantastic! Reckon we've managed to secure a pretty reasonable deal :)