Jump to content

Which visa for defacto would you recommend?

Recommended Posts

Hi there,


I am in Australia on a 457 for the past 4 years. I live with my partner and we want to lodge a defacto visa. He is Australian


Which one would you recommend?


820 and 801




For Fastest route to citizenship?

Most freedom?





Thank you in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have a choice between those two visas.


You apply (and pay for) for both at the same time and DIBP decide which one you get. If you provide evidence that you have been in a de facto relationship for three years or more, or two years or more if you and your partner have a dependent child of your relationship, you will probably be granted a permanent 801 from the outset.


If you have been a de facto couple for a shorter period, you will get a temporary/provisional 820 to begin with. 2 years after you apply for the 820/801, you will be required to provide evidence that your relationship is still intact and the 801 permanent visa will then be processed.


If you have already been in Australia for 4 years on a 457, and if there has been no period when you were without a valid visa, you will be eligible to apply for citizenship after you have held the 801 for 12 months if you meet the residence requirements relating to time spent outside Australia in the 4 years immediately before applying.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now