vetassess joinery test

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

Guest andy1865
basically you get a drawing of a door on an a4 piece of paper with the actuall size measurements so all your doing really is copy drawing to scale, just with a few extra drawings like the side sections with the mortice holes and shoulders showing , and the tennons drawn on

basically a working scale drawing that a workshop might use as a master template if they where making 100,s of the same door, this bits a doddle m8 so dont worry about that

Great, thanks for the info, think i'm just worrying too much about it, want to get out of here so much i just don't want to cock up at this hurdle, 44 now and not really much time left to get to Aus so putting too much pressure on my self i think, as you did yours in january are you still here? we need the house prices to go back up so to have money to get there now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was the same as you i had to get all the test and applications in before i turn 45 and i just made it. Got my visa in June, all we have to do is sell the house and we are off. If you have not applied for your visa yet make sure you go for a state sponsored it gets processed a lot faster.

Guest andy1865

Well done, yes i have a consultant on it and we are also going state sponsor, i was looking at perth but a friend of mine who is a joiner has settled in adelaide now and he is a manager of a kitchen fitting company so the job is there waiting for me, just need to do my bit now, it's costing us a fortune so will be gutted if i fail now, good luck on your venture and let me know how you get on, cheers... Andy

Guest guest20273

check out the clip on this page andy - Trade Skills Assessment

you can see in the joinery parts that they are clearly making saw horses and drawing on large sheets of paper , i hope this is the standard joinery test and they dont give you something else now that you,ve had a bit of a heads up on stuff

you say your friends in adelaide, has he told you about any nice places to live or places to avoid at all? we are headed to adelaide now as a second choice after queensland took joiners off thier skills list

Guest guest20273

just logged in to the vetasses site this morning and

FINAL ASSESMENT STATUS = SUCCESSFUL , WOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Guest andy1865
check out the clip on this page andy - Trade Skills Assessment

you can see in the joinery parts that they are clearly making saw horses and drawing on large sheets of paper , i hope this is the standard joinery test and they dont give you something else now that you,ve had a bit of a heads up on stuff

you say your friends in adelaide, has he told you about any nice places to live or places to avoid at all? we are headed to adelaide now as a second choice after queensland took joiners off thier skills list

Hi, sorry about delay, when he went over to Aus he travelled around for 3 weeks then when they got to adelaide they liked it so much they stopped and love it, they live on seaford rise which i have looked at and thats where we will be going, cheap to rent and buy, next to the beach and a quiet place to live but plenty going on, he got a job within a week of being there and now manager of a team of kitchen fitters, i was a bit gutted when he told me he only gets around $50000 a year but he says he lives a good life on that and has just bought his new house a few weeks ago, there are loads of jobs over there but he told me don't even bother looking till you get there as it is really hard when you are in this country, have a look on google at seaford and see what ya think, get ya barby ready for when we get there, :jiggy:

Guest andy1865
just logged in to the vetasses site this morning and

FINAL ASSESMENT STATUS = SUCCESSFUL , WOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Bloody hell m8 bet its like passing ya driving test all over again :jiggy: well done m8, now on to ya next stage, where ya thinking, my m8 in adelaide and loves it, plenty work and nice place to live, wish mine was over and done with :arghh: need to sleep at night. have a beer and celebrate, well done. Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest colinharra

hi just past my paper test now booking on the oct practical test been a joiner over 20 years myself and covered most things but still uneasy about doing the test would be interseted to hear how it went or from anybody eale for that matter. thanks colin harrison

Guest jucee555

Well done to those who passed, that is really good news, I am still sorting out the paperwork for my hubby but your post(s) were really useful. Good luck to those who have tests coming up.

Take Care,

Sam :)

• 1 month later...
Guest andy1865
cheers m8, man what a feeling to finally have that over with,such a huge relief, i came away from the test feeling fairly sure i was gonna fail, since i got a couple of questions wrong and used half a forest to make that god damn sawhorse !!

me and the mrs where kinda looking in the port noarlunga area which is just up from seaford but to be honest we,ll be checking out everywhere down from about 5 miles south of adelaide right down to malsin,s beach

great news to hear the job front is good, that was another big worry getting something over there

and the money side of it isnt no big deal as long as i can live reasonabbly well and not have the pressure and stress of working for my self over here

i,ve got a couple of kids, one 7 and one 1 and a half , so moving over there is all about family time for me!

barby will be on, xxxx chilling in the fridge and a couple of bottles of sherry for the shelia,s !!

big it up for you now bud, youre gonna walk it i just know it

Hi just wondered how it was all going as not heard from you in a while, my test next week and really bricking it now, can you tell me if they give you a drawing of the saw horse or do you make it to your own speck, i have looked at some that are easy and some that want the 20degree angle and with cut outs so now not sure what to expect, i just know i'm gonna fail and lost it at the mo but i supposse if its meant to be then so be it. let me know how you are getting on with yours and how far you are with it. Andy:wacko:

Guest andy1865

Hi, any one doing the joinery in glasgow next week 14th, i am papping it now and not sleeping till its over, good luck to everyone.

Guest colinharra

hi done my test on monday at preston felt it was prtty straight forward, you had to make a saw stool from a plan with the angles and sizes given, then construct a hipped roof on a sheet ot 8 x 4 ply and answer questions on scaffold and timber components, dont want to count my chickens but think i did ok and was finished about half 1. the aussie lad who was doing the assessing was pretty laid back and helped quell any nerves people had. i think at the end of the day they will know if you are compenent.

p.s aparently some poor lad cut through his finger last week and ended up in hospital think he may have failed

Guest guest20273
Hi just wondered how it was all going as not heard from you in a while, my test next week and really bricking it now, can you tell me if they give you a drawing of the saw horse or do you make it to your own speck, i have looked at some that are easy and some that want the 20degree angle and with cut outs so now not sure what to expect, i just know i'm gonna fail and lost it at the mo but i supposse if its meant to be then so be it. let me know how you are getting on with yours and how far you are with it. Andy:wacko:

hello m8, just logged on to wish you good luck for next wednesday

yeah they give you a sheet of paper with a small drawing of the saw horse on, with the needed measurements and angles shown on it ( make sure you take your sliding bevel aswell)

check this site How to make a sawhorse page 1

this style and method is exactly what i had to make (just different sizes and angles)

i,m just waiting to hear back from state sponsorship now , its just a waiting game , but its a whole load better once the vetasses is in the bag

good luck again mate and have faith you,ll be fine

hi there Andy

have booked the same day

spent the last week practicing constructing the saw horse and will be brushing up on the hand joints

have to many tools to take will have to get it down to what i think i need on the day

and yes i am bricking it

reading the post helps to calm you down a little bit

have been to the college last week as I was working in glasgow think i will get there early for parking

hopefully will see you there

and a good luck

Keith

Guest colinharra

to be honest lads i only took half my tools but still only used hand saw, inch chisle, sliding bevel, square, hammer, cordless drill, pozi drive bit, 5 mm drill bit and depending which method you use to work out roofs i used the ready reckoner and that was it. i guess its more importent you get the roof right than the saw stool as they give you the angles for the stool. good luck anyway i was a bit nervous going in but that soon passed

Guest andy1865
good luck for tommorow fella,s , i,d be interested to know what you had to do and how you think you got on

looks like i blew it bud, when i went in to the machine room i had to tell him i hadn't used a few of the machines and he said he will have to give me a low mark so its not looking good, the saw horse i flew through till i found i had done all the wrong angles but re did it and it was fine, just about finished the haunched mortice and hit a not and split it at the last hurdle, then at 4 45 just finished the rod and found one of the measurments was 10 mm out :wacko: i was playing catch up all day and so stressed out felt ill so really gutted but hope everyone else is got through, thats it for me now i just can't afford it any more but at least i tried, been a carpenter and doing the joiner was just too much for me but so hope anyone reading this makes sure they go for there trade. all the best fella and hope all goes well for you and your family, :biggrin:

Guest guest20273

mate i came away from my vetasses day thinking i,d definatly blown it aswell, i got all my saw horse angles wrong and had to ask for more wood , twice!

i got questions wrong in the machine shop and finished the day , last person at 5.30 pm

i dont think they are looking for the perfect, doesnt get things wrong and has all the answers person , just that you look like you had an idea about what you where doing--and can handles all the hand tools etc

as in someone who was just saying they are a joiner to get a visa would not have a god damn clue what to do on a vetasses joiner day

i know they take nerves into account and it is one of the most nervous days you can put yourself through , dont think i was as scared on my wedding day than vetasses if i,m honest

go to the website address and enter your login details and you can find out online quicker, mine took 5 days to update, i,ll bet you,ve passed

https://www2.tradeassess.com.au/Applicant/index.cfm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andy1865
hi there Andy

have booked the same day

spent the last week practicing constructing the saw horse and will be brushing up on the hand joints

have to many tools to take will have to get it down to what i think i need on the day

and yes i am bricking it

reading the post helps to calm you down a little bit

have been to the college last week as I was working in glasgow think i will get there early for parking

hopefully will see you there

and a good luck

Keith

Hi Keith how you doing fella, I Passed :jiggy: dunno how but well pleased, i was sure i had failed and didn't bother looking for my results then my consultant rang and told me, how did you get on m8, no worries i bet, let me know how you got on and keep in touch bud, all the best fot your familly and hope to see you out there. Andy

Archived