Arriving in 'winter' in Sydney

Captain Roberto

More people seem to want to migrate around this time of year.

Migration arrivals are consistent throughout the year and there are more from New Zealand, India and China than the UK...also significant interstate migration in and out of Sydney in every month.

It might. But we have 3 kids and a limited budget unfortunately. Otherwise we definitely would.

I have been to Sydney 4 times before, but in my old job I had everything paid for and stayed in a nice hotel on Rushcutters bay (vibe).

That was a few years ago. Now we have limited funds. So I have been trying to get as much information as possible. I cant really balls all this up, too many responsibilities. (my father in law likes to remind me of this!)

Hence asking all kinds of stuff off people on here (who hopefully know a lot more about than I do).

Edited by Captain Roberto

It can be difficult to get short term accomodation over Xmas/New Year/School holidays, and maybe if there are any special events on during the year.

I was thinking of furnished appartments as I stayed in one with my parents back in 1987 whilst we were between moves. I am pretty sure the one I copied over from www.domain.com.au below is the same address, just up from Hyde Park in Oxford St, Darlinghurst, so very convenient for the City (walking distance across Hyde Park), and with buses outside the door and railway station a couple of minutes walk.

The other thing you could look at is a family room in a hostel like the YHA or 'Bounce.' I'll let you Google them.

148/18-32 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst2 beds, 1 bath, 1 parking

• 40184681pipm30173231?mod=141204-014849
  • 40184683pipm30173231?mod=141204-014849

$750[h=5]PARK APARTMENTS - HIGH LEVEL - FULLY FURNISHED - CITY FRINGE LOCATION[/h]Fully furnished spacious 2 bedroom apartment on high level affording sweeping views across East Sydney to the harbour. Air condition...

Add to ShortlistMore detailsAdvertisersearchlogo_6000.GIFAdvertiser videoContact JOHN BENCE

Bence Property Group

[h=4]Matches my preferences (5 stars)[/h][h=5]Preferences matched[/h]

• Features: furnished

Thanks. I don't mind asking the odd 'stupid' question. It's better than finding out the hard way. @Skani

Oh no...I didn't think it was a stupid question. I'd budget for current rental prices at least - with maybe an extra allowance, if possible, in case rentals keep rising in Sydney as they have been (but cross your fingers and hope that they don't ! )

Be prepared for the cold at that time of year. It can be quite a shock to the system, particularly the cold indoors if there is no heating. It might be easier to find a temporary place out of holiday season, but normal rentals probably the same.

Not a stupid question - in Brisbane demand for rentals seems to fluctuate, with peak demand around Dec/Jan where landlords can afford to be very picky. I found moving rental September to be reasonably stress free - there were quite a lot to choose from and we have pets so not most landlord's first choice..I would imagine winter would be a good time, also a good time to bag a place with a pool (if you would like this) as these seem less attractive in winter....

I think it depends where you're looking, we landed 1 Jan, really stuggled to find a place for anything remotely affordable in the Northern Beaches. I think in the Northern Beaches summer is hardest time to find a place to rent, so I don't think a silly question at all. I am not sure the rent will be advertised any cheaper, maybe just less people going for it - people offer over the advertised rent when property in demand. To give you an idea of rent, we rent a three bed, one toilet, oldish place, sunroom, small garden for $850 pw in Frenchs Forest. Houses do tend to be cold in winter, no insulation or heating, so you can be out in t shirt and shorts during the day, but freezing at night time! Things have gone crazy in Sydney in the last 12-18 month, house prices sky rocketed, and therefore rent going up too. Good luck with the move.

Thanks @km75 - actually as you mentioned that you live in French's forest, I was wondering if you know much about a nearby area.

We need to find a place with a decent public high school (non selective). Killarney Heights High school has been recommended and looks like it isn't too far from you.

Do you know much about that area? Forestville, Killarney Heights, castlecrag, northbridge.

Is it good for a commute to the CBD? Much to do? Expensive? How long would it take to get to manly or curl curl type beaches from there?

No worries If you don't know.

Ta!

Edited by Captain Roberto

The three high schools in our area are Frenchs Forest, Davidson and Killarney Heights - all three are great, but I would probably avoid FF for now as they are building a new 9 story hospital right next door to the high school which has to have some impact. Killarney Heights has a great reputation, and is certainly considered by some to be the pick of the area.

I love Frenchs Forest and the area, Forestville is lovely too. It's not a bad commute at all, the earlier you go the quicker you get in, but my husband works in Alexandria and drives in -way in takes 30 mins, way home an hour. Bus routes and times can be found on http://www.131500.com.au. Everywhere in Sydney is expensive, and recently this area has hiked up a lot - if you're looking to buy in those areas, honestly, you're going to need a minimum of $1.1m, and that's being optimistic.

There's not loads to do in the area, but you're close to everywhere, so 20 minutes gets you most places!

We have been here since January, and previously lived in Freshwater - love the Northern Beaches, don't be put off by people berating the commute too much!

We are planning to come in June, when it's probably at it's Coldest in Sydney.

I had heard that it would be easier to get a rental place then. Would it likely to give us any kind of cheaper deal too?

I am only asking as I am trying to work out a budget for rent.

We arrived in winter and our short- term holiday accommodation was certainly cheaper!