Anyone living In geraldton? Good place for a young family?

Bouncy

Hi there! We've just started to consider geraldton as a possible place we could live! I'm a nurse and I'm told the hospital there has jobs!

So my queries are, does it get decent internet connection ? Enough for Skype?

is it possible to get overseas deliveries like m&s and next? I know people get them in perth but just wanted to check! And would ikea charge an arm and a leg to deliver there?

Is the cost of living on a par with perth suburbs?

Any my more info greatly appreciated! Sorry if my questions seem a little silly, I really have no clue!! :-)

thanks, bouncy x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest51968

hi

Internet varies... we have something called Node 1 - direct wireless small dish on the roof - get 20mb speed, our old phone was 1mb !! NBN is in certain parts of town which is blisteringly quick. depends what your after and what your prepared to pay :-)

We get deliveries from UK - Sports Direct takes around 9 days from order to rocking up on door step. Aus Post is pretty good. Fashion isnt important in Gero - t-shirt and shorts and factor 30 and your sorted !! my wife survives LOL

Ikea charge A FORTUNE to deliver from Perth !! Cheaper to hire yourself a trailer and get yourself

Cost of living is very individual... so can't really comment - both my boys surf and bodyboard so their entertainment is cheap !!

We have lived her just over 3 years now, moved from Kent

Mark

• 6 months later...

Lived here in Geraldton for nearly two years now. NBN (National Broadband Network) has recently made it's way up here, although connection isn't perfect everywhere, we still manage to skype and facetime every week though.

I would say cost of living is ever so slightly higher than in Perth, things like fuel, food, and electronics are a bit more expensive, but the pay at jobs compensates for this. It is definitely a great place to live and work, if you are looking for a slower paced life. They dont call it the Wait Awhile (WA) state for nothing. Oh and the drivers up here will most likely infuriate you, if you're anything like me. They just don't seem to understand how to use roundabouts, either. I could moan about the drivers all day, but I won't :)

I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

• 4 years later...

Hi There, we are considering a move to Gero in the future too.  We love peace and quiet so nightlife does not concern us.  We have a young family of 3 girls of  Primary school age.  We used to live in Yanchep north of Perth and are currently back in the UK.  Here is the big question, we have a plot of land in Karloo, do you think its a good enough area to build on?  Abraham street a short walk from Karloo park.  I'm now hearing it's not great there, and I would be concerned if there was a concentrated drug problem nearby or frequent robberies and social crime.  What is the consensus, sell up and find a better suburb or go for it and enjoy??  I'd love your own opinions please? Currently living in Didcot(Oxon) in the UK and its not amazing but neither am I scared to walk down the street.  

22 hours ago, Simmy said:

Hi There, we are considering a move to Gero in the future too.  We love peace and quiet so nightlife does not concern us.  We have a young family of 3 girls of  Primary school age.  We used to live in Yanchep north of Perth and are currently back in the UK.  Here is the big question, we have a plot of land in Karloo, do you think its a good enough area to build on?  Abraham street a short walk from Karloo park.  I'm now hearing it's not great there, and I would be concerned if there was a concentrated drug problem nearby or frequent robberies and social crime.  What is the consensus, sell up and find a better suburb or go for it and enjoy??  I'd love your own opinions please? Currently living in Didcot(Oxon) in the UK and its not amazing but neither am I scared to walk down the street.  

Hey mate,

I'm in Perth and can't really speak to Geraldton with any real authority.

What I will say is that I have yet to meet anybody with a positive thing to say about the place.  I have met a few who gave it a go but ultimately felt it was too dodgy and left.

Collie, Hi thanks for that! Do you mean they thought it was rough or unsafe?   I’d love to know a bit more if they were more specific.  I definitely don’t want to live somewhere if there are widespread social problems.  

cheers

simone