Mountain Creek State High School

heugas

Hi,

We are moving to the sunshine coast in July 2015. We have a 14 yo and 5 yr old twins. Our main concern is to find our 14yo daughter a good school. Ideally we would like her to do the IB International Baccelaurate.

I cant find much info of MCSHS on the internet, can anyone recomend the school or any other school in the area? We dont mind if private.

Thanks in advance.

Mountain Creek is the only one on the sunshine coast that offers IB as far as I am aware http://www.resaust.com.au/index.php?p=5_5

http://www.resaust.com.au/index.php?p=1_9_Relocation-to-Australia---Destination-Services-for-Individuals-and-Families

If you decide to look at other schools that dont have IB then have a look at http://www.immanuel.qld.edu.au or

http://www.scgs.qld.edu.au

• 2 months later...

Hi, Wow what a small world. I have put an almost identical post on the "LifeinQueensland" forum, We are moving to Mountain Creek in the middle of this year, we have a 14 year old daughter and (nearly) 4 year old twins!!!

We are thinking about Mountain Creek High, and are trying to get some independent opinions on the school. Our daughter is very bright, and is doing really well at her current school. (we have been living in Adelaide for the past 5 years, originally from Doncaster, S Yorkshire) She wants to be a vet and it's really important to us that she goes to a good school so that she gets the grades she needs to get on the Uni course. We have been on the website that shows how schools rank and Matthew Flinders and Sunshine Coast Grammer Schools both rank very high, but they cost around $14,000 per year. I rang Mountain Creek High and they have told me about the Zenith program they have for smart kids which sounds great, but I'd also really like to know what the school is like from a social view point, ie: bullying, behaviour etc.

Any info, would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Nina

Have a look at Immanuel Lutheran College , they are in Buderim which a beautiful place just down the road from Mountain Creek. Your daughter can spend a day at the school with out being enrolled to see if she likes it. A really great school, that looks at emotional care with just as great an importance as academic results.

http://www.immanuel.qld.edu.au/

http://www.immanuel.qld.edu.au/Portals/0/pdf/Fee_Schedule_2015.pdf

Hi Nina, I only just saw your post. It is a small world, we must meet up when we move there ;-)

I havent yet managed to get any information on Mountain creek High, just whats on the internet which is not much. We will be arriving in July, just after the winter break. I would love to have as much information as possible before hand so when we arrive there, its just a matter of visiting the 2 or 3 school options and enrol her in without missing much schooling.

Have you looked at school for the twins? We have looked at Brightwater Primary School. We called them last week, they are only enroling kids living within the catchement area though.

Do let me know if you find out any more info and I will do the same.

Cristina

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Nina, I only just saw your post. It is a small world, we must meet up when we move there ;-)

I havent yet managed to get any information on Mountain creek High, just whats on the internet which is not much. We will be arriving in July, just after the winter break. I would love to have as much information as possible before hand so when we arrive there, its just a matter of visiting the 2 or 3 school options and enrol her in without missing much schooling.

Have you looked at school for the twins? We have looked at Brightwater Primary School. We called them last week, they are only enroling kids living within the catchement area though.

Do let me know if you find out any more info and I will do the same.

Cristina

Hi, Just saw your post so thought I must reply. My daughter goes to Mountain Creek and although early days she is very happy. She managed to get on Zenith which is good as seems to be working her hard although she does find it less challenging than her English education, which she is delighted about !! It is a huge school but they have separated the kids into different attendence for junior and senior which helps.

Our younger two go to Mooloolaba state School. It gets a bad press but they love it and we are very pleased with it. The head is excellent and it has a great culture. Kids can do very well there. I have heard Mountain Creek is a great primary school but very big and often over subscribed so hard to get in out of catchment. If I can be of any help please let me know. We have been here since 2012, not including a short ping pong back !!! Very happy and settled now. Good luck with the move

• 2 years later...

Hi @heugas, @ninamorley, @Tina2 and finally @judyq

This post came up in a search I did and realised you will have been on the Sunshine Coast a while now and would like to ask if you would share your experiences of the schools so far.

Judy, I wondered if you could tell me the difference between the Zenith and the IB program, I think this would be good for my 12 yo daughter as she is very clever. On the other hand my 7 year old is struggling academic wise so wondered if Mountain Creek had a good support for him.

I also heard that Chancellor state school is very good - Have you guys heard this too?

If you lived in Bridgewater would you be in the Mountain Creek HS Catchment area. Crikey there is s much to think about, we go in July, I dont really like the monster estates but it seems you have to live in one to be in a decent catchment - I may be wrong on that.

Hope you have all settled in and are enjoying your new lives.x x x