The Current Rate of Unemployment and how hard it is to find a job in Australia?

Tom30

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what kind of level the rate of unemployment is in Australia and from experience how hard it is to find jobs in Admin/Bar Work/ Fruit picking ect, of course it goes on you're own experience in these fields. Is it the case of 100's of people applying for the same postion much like it is in the UK in parts of the country.

Tom

I think it's supposed to be hard. I guess it depends on your experience etc. I've noticed that on backpacking groups there are quite a few backpackers helping each other out. Like if they are about to leave a job then they will put it up on the page so another backpacker can get it. I think some hostels help out too - have job boards etc

I can only speak to my personal experience, but in my opinion it's easy. But there are a few things: 1) it's unlikely that you'll get a serious job on a WHV. It's not impossible, just unlikely. 2) Just like anywhere else, it helps if you have some experience. I can imagine it being quite hard if someone comes to Australia on the WHV and has little to no work experience.

I have encountered a few employers not wanting to hire due to the 6-month limitation of the visa, and even those that do, they are going to ask you how long you plan on staying with them. So they are careful about who they hire. One manager wouldn't hire me because of the 6-month limitation, even though I had way more experience than the other candidates. And that wasn't even for a career job. Oh well. Honestly, yeah the unemployment rate is getting higher, but I had no problems finding a job. I do think it's no longer like in the 2000s where it was sooo easy to find a job. So I think those who did the WHV years ago versus now definitely had it easier. In my opinion, the purpose of a WHV loses its value when it's hard to find a job. So the time to do a WHV in Australia is now or soon.

Just don't get frustrated. If you're persistent, you can be working in your first or 2nd week here. And if you can't find a job in one city, then move on to the next. Another thing to keep in mind is that it may not be the job you want, but at least it's something. I've been here for 5 weeks and am doing fine in this area, even if I did hit a few speedbumps.

Good luck! I too had the same concerns beforehand, luckily it all worked out.

Edited by JonathonS

Im on a 457 visa. Arrived on the Gold Coast of QLD beginning of September and started applying for jobs from day one (Admin, PA, Marketing jobs). 10 weeks on and ive had one interview which seemed to go well but went nowhere. Ive probably applied for upwards of 200 jobs, tailoring my CV and covering letter for each one which takes literally hours - im spending working days just applying for jobs. Luckily my partner had a job to go to when we arrived and is earning enough to support me for the time being so we arent up sh*t creek just yet!

Its not just the job market that seems competitive here either, the rental market is insane. We have been declined for every single property weve applied for - agents very rarely give reasons as to why but the one who did respond told me that they had had over 30 applications for that particular property and that is the average at the mo. So with 2 pets we are really struggling. Aside from that, I love it here lol.

Im on a 457 visa. Arrived on the Gold Coast of QLD beginning of September and started applying for jobs from day one (Admin, PA, Marketing jobs). 10 weeks on and ive had one interview which seemed to go well but went nowhere. Ive probably applied for upwards of 200 jobs, tailoring my CV and covering letter for each one which takes literally hours - im spending working days just applying for jobs. Luckily my partner had a job to go to when we arrived and is earning enough to support me for the time being so we arent up sh*t creek just yet!

Its not just the job market that seems competitive here either, the rental market is insane. We have been declined for every single property weve applied for - agents very rarely give reasons as to why but the one who did respond told me that they had had over 30 applications for that particular property and that is the average at the mo. So with 2 pets we are really struggling. Aside from that, I love it here lol.

This is a very important post and should be read by people coming to this forum looking to move here. That recession that the UK and the USA had which Australia dodged - it's here.......

It's pretty difficult Tom, I'm here nearly four months and I'm working casual hours in a chippy to get by, it's hard to survive sometimes! But I totally echo what Jonathon said. Join every single forum and Facebook Pom page you can. This was the only way I got my job, SEEK and Gumtree weren't proving very helpful!

There always seem to be people on WHV working in the pubs and cafes here in Surry Hills (Sydney.) You need your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) of course, and I guess doing a barista course is handy too. It's all casual work of course. I guess if you have good admin/keyboarding skills, you may pick up short term contracts? I always find it hard to get work, but then I am 60 now. Perhaps I could try harder.

I didn't realise you could in on a 457 visa and not actually have a job lined up.

I thought the whole point of a 457 was to fill a specific job which an Aussie can't be found for.

My understanding of 457s must be wrong.

I'm not sure myself, but I think you may initially be sponsored by an employer, but there's no guarantee of work for the period of the visa? At least I know one Pommie guy who came out on a 457 - still here - who started with one employer, lost his job, and went through a period of unemployment (with no benefits) until he got another.

I know another guy who came out on a WHV, and was able, because of his particular skills, to change to a 457 visa, which I guess means he worked for a company, and they sponsored him? (He's now on a permaent resident's visa.)

As it moves closer to Xmas, work may dry up in some fields as companies 'wind down' for the year, and the summer holidays last from Xmas to Australia Day (26 January.) It was probably a mistake for me to come out in November, come to think of it, and I never got a job until the end of January.

Is it really difficult for backpackers to get jobs in things like hospitality, retail etc? I looked at doing a barista course in Scotland. I think it was around £200. I'd pay that if it would actually help

Coffee central so Barista (good) always in demand

This is a very important post and should be read by people coming to this forum looking to move here. That recession that the UK and the USA had which Australia dodged - it's here.......

Yeah the recession is pretty much here now, which is why I said doing a WHV in Australia was better years ago. This is not the only WHV I'm doing though, so as long as I don't lose my savings then I'll take the good with the bad.

It's pretty difficult Tom, I'm here nearly four months and I'm working casual hours in a chippy to get by, it's hard to survive sometimes! But I totally echo what Jonathon said. Join every single forum and Facebook Pom page you can. This was the only way I got my job, SEEK and Gumtree weren't proving very helpful!

Really? That sounds bad. I filled out 4 job applications my first day here, and got call backs on all 4. You can definitely find a job, it just might not be the one you want. And with how well they pay here, I'm even saving money after all my living expenses.

How old are you now? I'm 24. Don't get discouraged, plenty of people still find the jobs. But I don't think it's like 5-10 years ago where people could find full-time jobs without much work experience. The only thing that sucks is the 6-month limitation, which as I mentioned in my first post, a lot of employers are cautious about that.

Edited by JonathonS

How old are you now? I'm 24. Don't get discouraged, plenty of people still find the jobs. But I don't think it's like 5-10 years ago where people could find full-time jobs without much work experience. The only thing that sucks is the 6-month limitation, which as I mentioned in my first post, a lot of employers are cautious about that.

I'll be 25 by the time I go but I want to try and get into university and I've been told that most uni's won't allow me to defer till 2016. So I just want to be as sure as I can be that I'll find work and not wasting my time. I don't want to go over and then run out of money quickly and come back with my tail between my legs lol :laugh: not looking for a great job, just something to make a little bit of money. I've noticed a lot of backpackers do volunteering for accommodation and food

I wish I'd went when I was young like 19 or 20. Might have been easier to find work

I don't see it getting easier either. Australia has extended the reach of WHV to take in further countries. A declining job market and ever increasing WHV and 457's will see to that. In fact was reading the other day there is now one WHV for every school leaver. Untenable in my opinion long term.

I feel bad about fighting school leavers and students for jobs, I know how hard it is to find work here too. Sometimes wonder if I would be better just coming on a holiday instead but I've paid my visa money now and If I went on a holiday I would probably end up loving it and not wanting to leave. :unsure:

I feel bad about fighting school leavers and students for jobs, I know how hard it is to find work here too. Sometimes wonder if I would be better just coming on a holiday instead but I've paid my visa money now and If I went on a holiday I would probably end up loving it and not wanting to leave. :unsure:

Not for you to be concerned.(our government certainly doesn't) Come out and see how it stacks up. You'll at the very least have a number of places to pitch your tent on .....or couch surf ..Yes there are the voluntary work for food and keep jobs mostly on farms I thought. What's it called? Wolfing or something similar. Met a few Germans in years past than done it. I'd go for paid employment though.