Indian Police Certificate from RPO

Satbir Sohal

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the forum, hopefully I am able to get some valuable information from the group.

So I am on a student visa and now applying for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). As part of the documents I need an Indian Police clearance certificate (PCC).

I am visiting India, I would like to know if I can apply for the PCC in my local RPO (Processing time one day) and WILL THAT CERTIFICATE BE ACCEPTED BY DIAC?

ORDo I have to apply for the PCC in Australia through VFS (Processing time 1 week to 8 weeks) and ONLY THIS WILL BE ACCEPTED BY DIAC?

Please share your experiences if you have had the same or similar case. As the processing times are different and I don't think I can spare 8 weeks.

Thank you guys.

From DIBP's site (http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Locations/Pages/India.aspx):

Non-resident citizens: Apply to the nearest Indian High Commission, Consulate or Embassy in your country of residence.

As you reside in Australia, you are a non-resident Citizen of India which means you should be applying for a PCC at the Indian High Commission/Consulate in Australia.

As far as applying at your local RPO is concerned,are you "legally" allowed to apply at your local RPO given that you do not reside in India let alone the jurisdiction of the RPO?