Berwick Primary or Brentwood park primary. Please help

vilani

Hi All,

We just moved to Berwick (we are building a house in Berwick waters) and searched for a primary school for my son to start prep next year. Due to our location I only had three options Berwick Primary, Brentwood Park Primary and Berwick chase. Berwick primary responded saying it's full and I added my self to waiting list. out of other two. I didn't like the attitude of the principle of Chase and open class room thing. Brentwood park principle was very good and knew students by name. Also the students seemed well focused even when we were walking around them. So I submitted the enrolment form then and there as we are running out of time. However the schools looks a bit old and I do not see much on it on the forums

However today I got a call from Berwick primary saying we have a slot available. Could anyone tell me whether ignoring it and going with Brentwood be a good idea? both schools have good statistics on mySchool website but I still haven't seen Berwick Primary. I am all stressed out with all these including building the house etc. But I really need the best for my son. I need to take a decision very soon

Thanks in advance

Vilani

Hi All,

We just moved to Berwick (we are building a house in Berwick waters) and searched for a primary school for my son to start prep next year. Due to our location I only had three options Berwick Primary, Brentwood Park Primary and Berwick chase. Berwick primary responded saying it's full and I added my self to waiting list. out of other two. I didn't like the attitude of the principle of Chase and open class room thing. Brentwood park principle was very good and knew students by name. Also the students seemed well focused even when we were walking around them. So I submitted the enrolment form then and there as we are running out of time. However the schools looks a bit old and I do not see much on it on the forums

However today I got a call from Berwick primary saying we have a slot available. Could anyone tell me whether ignoring it and going with Brentwood be a good idea? both schools have good statistics on mySchool website but I still haven't seen Berwick Primary. I am all stressed out with all these including building the house etc. But I really need the best for my son. I need to take a decision very soon

Thanks in advance

Vilani

Make an appointment to have a look around Berwick and a chat to the principle, you will know where you feel most comfortable and where you think your child would be a good fit with the school. Berwick having a wait list shows they have a lot of parents wanting to enrol their child. Brentwood has a chinese program so this may be of interest to you, but Brent wood also have an affiliation with the local church, I know from posts on other thread some parents dont like the church thing so this may or may not factor into your desision.

Make an appointment to have a look around Berwick and a chat to the principle, you will know where you feel most comfortable and where you think your child would be a good fit with the school. Berwick having a wait list shows they have a lot of parents wanting to enrol their child. Brentwood has a chinese program so this may be of interest to you, but Brent wood also have an affiliation with the local church, I know from posts on other thread some parents dont like the church thing so this may or may not factor into your desision.

Thanks Tina,

Yes, I also don't like the church being involved and I didn't know that. I booked a tour at Berwick Primary :). If it turns out better (As you mentioned, it should be), I will withdraw the enrolment from Brentwood.

Shyalika

Thanks Tina,

Yes, I also don't like the church being involved and I didn't know that. I booked a tour at Berwick Primary :). If it turns out better (As you mentioned, it should be), I will withdraw the enrolment from Brentwood.

Shyalika

I think "different" rather than better. Both are good schools but offer different things, only you will know what is best for your family. Berwick is a lovely place, lived up in Cypress Hills for a few years.

http://www.brentwoodparkps.vic.edu.au/our_school/community-partnerships-berwick-church-of-christ/

Also many schools in Aus especially state schools work on the "open Plan" idea, some love it some dont. Many rooms have sliding walls so the room can be split in to two areas if required. Lot more of the "team" idea thus the large desks so children can be split into groups to work on projects.

Edited by Tina2

Hello, my little boy went to Brentwood Park Primary from prep to grade 3 ( we then moved interstate last year) and he absolutely loved it there! All the teachers are excellent and very friendly ( as are the Principal and assistant principal). In the 4 years he was there I never saw or heard anything that made me think it was affiliated with any church! Religion certainly isn't obvious there ( and you can opt out of religious education too!). The Principal once remarked at an assembly that the school was medium sized but with the budget of a large school! They certainly weren't lacking in resources!

I also knew people whose kids went to Berwick Primary and they weren't that impressed with the school! Good luck with your decision!

karen

I think "different" rather than better. Both are good schools but offer different things, only you will know what is best for your family. Berwick is a lovely place, lived up in Cypress Hills for a few years.

http://www.brentwoodparkps.vic.edu.au/our_school/community-partnerships-berwick-church-of-christ/

Also many schools in Aus especially state schools work on the "open Plan" idea, some love it some dont. Many rooms have sliding walls so the room can be split in to two areas if required. Lot more of the "team" idea thus the large desks so children can be split into groups to work on projects.

Thanks Tina,

You are right. I should definitely have a look before deciding on anything. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It means a lot to me.

Thanks Karen,

Thanks for the valuable advise. I am now in a better position to decide on one (of course after visiting Berwick Primary). One of my primary concerns was, there was no review on Brentwood anywhere that I could see. Now I know both are good schools and it's just a matter of finding the best suitable for us.

Vilani

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, sorry this is a very old post, but i was searching reviews and found this. We are exactly in the same position. Our school zone is Berwick Chase, but we got the name in Berwick Primary too and waiting for brentwood park. We are not sure which one to select and sadly due to Covid we cannot visit the school. I have only visited Brentwood park primary.

Vilani, if u don't mind can i ask, which school you have selected ?

Guest The Pom Queen

Berwick primary use to be the best but now I think Brentwood comes in top. Don’t forget you can look at the private schools they aren’t zoned. You have some excellent ones in the area, some with fees from $3,000 pa . 

Brentwood Park is an excellent school. My 3 children attended there until last year when we moved area. My eldest had been there from grade 1 to leaving at the end of grade 6. Very high expectations and very good results. It has doubled in enrolment size over the past few years though and I do feel has lost its personal touch, the principal used to know everyone but obviously with a school of just under 1000 kids that’s just not possible. The school is very well resourced. I have heard that it is slow to pick up and provide help for those children who need it though. But overall I was extremely happy, I think you can’t go too far wrong with any of the schools in Berwick though.