Backpacks

Guest51810

To be honest Stace, I would forget the backpack and just get a case with wheels. I have a range of bags and cases including a 140 ltr explorer bag, but even when I am going somewhere very remote, I tend to use a normal case. Simply easier to get around with as you just wheel it.

I always have a chuckle when I see folk trying to manage wheelie cases on the London Tube - like herding cats!

Guest guest90395
Yes...I'd definitely go with that suggestion too. Have a small backpack for carry-on and day trips....but a travel pack with wheels makes life so much easier. :wubclub:

Having backpacked the east coast I would have to disagree. When travelling you need to be able to pick your bag up and throw/ram it into small spaces, suitcases are too rigid. For example, each place you arrive into the hostel bus comes and picks you up, all the luggage gets thrown in the back or on top of the 4wd. In hostels you may have a locker to store your stuff in, or you shove at the end of your bed. Soft and flexible is by far the best imho.

Edited by guest90395

Get one with has two sections to it (a large rucksack then a smaller one that zips off). I got an osprey one and it's the best thing I've ever bought. The second bag you can use as a day bag. Think the total size is 70 litres and they aren't silly expensive like some of the others.

Enjoy the trip!

I thought I was going to get stabbed in London for walking around with my wheelie lol got in everyone's way

Yup, and those who weren't going to stab you were probably snickering! Now get thee to a gym and practice lifting and squatting weights and all will be well!

Have a great trip!

If you get a backpack make sure it has a good waist strap. You will be amazed at how a proper fitting waist strap helps with the weight. I have a 90ltr backpack and can fit close to 30kg in it, it feels half that weight when the waist strap is worn properly.

Waist and chest straps! I never realized how good the chest strap was until my latest pack. Waist strap essential for any backpack now I reckon - even my little day pack has a great one and the pressure it's taken off my shoulders is amazing! I'm not at the 30kg level but my DH used to walk with 50kg when we walked as a family. Still has his own knees too!

Yup, and those who weren't going to stab you were probably snickering! Now get thee to a gym and practice lifting and squatting weights and all will be well!

Have a great trip!

It was only a little one though so I didn't wheel it most of the time. I think they wanted to stab me even without my bags because I was walking so slow lol. I've been trying squatting without the weights the other day, that was bad enough lol

I had an old black wolf 80L with a zip off daypack.

The harness had a zip over cover for safety on the airport carousels. No loose straps. The daypack was about 15 litres and perfect for carry on. Both had waist and chest straps. It opened out flat so everything could easily be found.

It went to summer camp with me twice as well as hikes around the states and Australia. The ohs little brother still uses it nearly 15 years later.

Things have moved on now, this one has all the same benefits and wheels as well. It may be a bit heavier than in the past though.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks. I'll have a proper look today online. I need to be careful with the weight because I'm not strong at all. I think my suitcase yesterday weighed 15 or 20kg and when I was trying to get on the train with it with my holdall too I toppled over backwards off the train lol

Yeah avoid wheels on a backpack, more useless weight to carry. You'll be fine with 20kg on your back (trick, put it on sitting down!) - I'm 65 and I can still do it. Still recommend that you try in person because sometimes the frames are too long for we petites!