Backpacks

Guest51810

Hiya

After my recent luggage disaster Im thinking I would be better just buying a large backpack that I can also use for Australia. Can anybody recommend a website or a shop? I don't want to spend an absolute fortune on one if it can be helped. Don't have the first clue about backpacks, not even sure I'll be able to carry a heavy one! Any suggestions would be great. Cheers

Hey Stacey!

When I went travelling I actually brought mine from Argos! Was cheap (around £30) and lasted really well throughout my trip. There are plenty of places you can buy them from (i.e. Millets) but would be best just to search online so you can read reviews etc.

One recommendation I would make would be to buy one you can unzip all the way round. I brought one which you could only load at the top and was forever having to take everything out when i needed to get something out of the bottom!!

£30 sounds like my kind of price lol. Some of them are just so expensive like £200! I don't want to pay that. I just wreck things. I've had a look at millets, go outdoor etc but haven't really saw much. I'm not even sure what sort of size I'm supposed to be looking at. Is 60 litres the sort of usual amount people go for? I really need to learn to pack lightly. I've came up from the Lake District with all my stuff and it's ridiculous, If I'm coming back down next week then I'm getting rid of half of it. I'll check out argos then!

Definitely keep an eye out for these zip ones then, Cheers!

I just want something in between lol big enough for all my crap but that i can carry. So I think that I need to work out a weight balance. Think I'll probably stick with the 60 litres. I haven't even used half my stuff, I was the exact same on herm. So I need to be brutal with my choices now :laugh: I'm going into glasgow on Monday so I might even drag my friend into a few outdoor shops and ask for some advice

I would get a side opening one - rather than one that everything goes in the top. The one I had think it was could expand. And could zip up all the straps for flights.

Where did you get it from? I'll have a proper look tonight. If I can't decide then I'll just get a cheap one for England if I'm going next week. Like this one - http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9099689.htm. Then it's a bit of a practice for the real thing lol

60 litres is ample for a woman. I'm not sure if mine is 45 or 60 but packed it weighs 20kg give or take and that can be a challenge for a small female. I'm 65 and I manage ok but I lift weights regularly.

Id advise that going cheap is a false economy - keep it as light as you can for the size (no extra wheels etc) and get one that has a strap cover - airports are nasty things for snagging loose straps. Get one with an adjustable back and try it in store with 20kg in it so you can see how it feels. Get one with a good quality waist belt and a chest strap and internal frames are better than external frames. I do have one now with a zip most of the way round and it beats packing from the top only. I'm trialling packing cells this trip - Eagle Creek do some nice lightweight ones (will get back to you on those but my son swears by them).

I would be checking out the better bushwalking stores - Open Air, Cotswold, Kathmandhu, Ellis Brigham etc. they usually have enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff to advise. Mine is similar to this one http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/entrada-pack-v2-midnight-blue-1.html. I'm not sure that I would get the one with added day pack again, I rarely use it and it sticks out if you're in crowds etc. I have a very nice smaller Loewe Airzone for every day (has waist belt, the little day pack doesn't)

Dont economise! Your backpack will be your best friend - I had my last one for 30 yrs, this one for 8 thus far and it's well used and good as new. Can you tell I'm passionate about backpacking? Don't own a suitcase and never have!

I would definitely go into a shop and get some advice and one fitted for you. Blacks or Millets (same company) are fine (I used to work for them) though when I got my backpack it was just from the sample sale while I was working there, so although cheap in hindsight I wish I had got a better fit for my size

I've got a Eurohike Amazon which is 45L + 15L day pack. It opens all the way around so is much easier to use than a normal rucksack. It also has a cover that folds out of the bottom, and zips over the shoulder and waist straps, so can then be carried lke a suitcase and the straps don't get caught in airport conveyor belts, etc.

It's a few years old now so I don't think it's available any longer, but anything similar would be a good start. Remember you're not travelling around all the time, and you 'll be doing laundry, buying new toiletries etc, so you don't have to pack like you're going into the middle of nowhere ;)

Ooh also, see if you can get one that opens on the side like a holdall rather than just a top opening one, as it's a nightmare trying to get to things at the bottom and you have to take everything else out!

*also, you know you've got kids when you see the word 'backpack' and immediately start singing the backpack song from Dora the Explorer..

Edited by maidensarah

My ex had an Eagle Creek one which was great. It opened sideways, which is much easier, and also the straps could be tucked away and zipped up safely inside the back - very important if it's going to be checked luggage, because loose straps can get caught in stuff and get broken.

I would definitely borrow someone's backpack and try carrying it full, though. There is NO WAY I could manage my ex's backpack, even when I was young and relatively fit. If you really must have a big backpack, then you'll absolutely need one that has a hip belt and chest strap to distribute the weight - you don't want a bad back to ruin your holiday!

Maybe the reason you've had luggage disasters in the past is because you went cheap with the suitcase, too? For my money, a suitcase on wheels is much, much easier to manage than a large backpack. Keep the backpack for your carry-on.

My ex had an Eagle Creek one which was great. It opened sideways, which is much easier, and also the straps could be tucked away and zipped up safely inside the back - very important if it's going to be checked luggage, because loose straps can get caught in stuff and get broken.

I would definitely borrow someone's backpack and try carrying it full, though. There is NO WAY I could manage my ex's backpack, even when I was young and relatively fit. If you really must have a big backpack, then you'll absolutely need one that has a hip belt and chest strap to distribute the weight - you don't want a bad back to ruin your holiday!

Maybe the reason you've had luggage disasters in the past is because you went cheap with the suitcase, too? For my money, a suitcase on wheels is much, much easier to manage than a large backpack. Keep the backpack for your carry-on.

My gran gave me the suitcase so I'm not sure how much she spent on it but I don't think it would have been super cheap. It was a bit wrecked when I took it away with me but the handle snapped off this morning. It was a nightmare. I'd much prefer to manage a suitcase but everybody says not to bring one

My gran gave me the suitcase so I'm not sure how much she spent on it but I don't think it would have been super cheap. It was a bit wrecked when I took it away with me but the handle snapped off this morning. It was a nightmare. I'd much prefer to manage a suitcase but everybody says not to bring one

You won't be walking miles with the bag on your back, but it's a lot easier when moving from hostel to bus station, back to hostel. Longest I prob carried mine would be 15-20 min max and I went all round Australia. Many hostels have stairs. - no lift so easier to get up and down stairs with bag on your back than wheeling a suitcase. You get the knack of swinging it up on your back.

Yes...I'd definitely go with that suggestion too. Have a small backpack for carry-on and day trips....but a travel pack with wheels makes life so much easier. :wubclub: