uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lady Rainicorn your a star:wubclub:

And so are you @fifi69 - to be honest you opened your heart and home to Alan first and inspired me to do what I could.

Alan and I are now in contact and together we'll make a decision on whether he's got what it takes - it's not easy and it's not for everyone!

I've moved a computer and all its leads from one room to another!:cute:,gizza job!I can doo dat:twitcy:

I'm sure you could Pablo but then I read in the Evening Standard the other day that brickies can earn £200k a year in London!

I'm sure you could Pablo but then I read in the Evening Standard the other day that brickies can earn £200k a year in London!

Few mates are back down there LR,they're getting £300 a day,i go on what they are telling me,not the papers tbh,i cba with London any more tbh,worked there loads of times,Mayfair,Camden,Harrow,my days living in digs are over,like me home comforts too much,first time i came across a "table charge" was in London,when i went out for a meal with a girl from Kentucky i started seeing down there,a table charge,wtf!

Fulhams ok tho,used to stay in Parsons green,cant stick driving down there though,and despise the tube,nah,sooner stay here on less money,im not that arsed about £ tbh,as long as i've got enough im content,not into chasing £ now

Was a nice offer you made to Alan btw,thats the kind of thing that restores my faith in PIO,because tbh,im not over the moon with the place any more

LR, Is what you do based on IBM's Full Lifecycle Testing - Master Test Plans, Detail Test Plans, and using tools like Mercury Test Director and Win Runner ?

Kind of, although I suspect you've been out of the field for a while as Mercury was taken over by HP many, many years ago and has been Quality Center since then and the latest version is marketed as ALM, although QC lives on in some organisations.

I'm still known to knock out the odd MTP or DTP though - I wouldn't credit it to IBM though, it is the IEEE 829 standard and this is still taught on the ISTQB but is only one of a number of 'life cycles' used these days with Rapid Software Testing and Agile increasingly popular. ISTQB now have a specific agile module.

Thats right'I do remember HP took them over and renamed to QC now you come to mention it.

I think IBM started this all with their Full Lifecycle Testing. It first came to my notice when we used it for preparing for and testing for Y2K bug back in about 1996.

My organisation tried to get into automated reuseable test scripts with Win runner etc and eventually Test director.

I think QC is widely used these days.

Few mates are back down there LR,they're getting £300 a day,i go on what they are telling me,not the papers tbh,i cba with London any more tbh,worked there loads of times,Mayfair,Camden,Harrow,my days living in digs are over,like me home comforts too much,first time i came across a "table charge" was in London,when i went out for a meal with a girl from Kentucky i started seeing down there,a table charge,wtf!

Fulhams ok tho,used to stay in Parsons green,cant stick driving down there though,and despise the tube,nah,sooner stay here on less money,im not that arsed about £ tbh,as long as i've got enough im content,not into chasing £ now

Was a nice offer you made to Alan btw,thats the kind of thing that restores my faith in PIO,because tbh,im not over the moon with the place any more

£300 a day ain't bad though - I only read the paper because I was on a plane flying back from London, it interested me because it talked about the bias education in the UK has towards 'academics' and the 'brawn drain' with so many people in the trades heading to places like Australia to earn more money :)

I could easily earn £100 more a day in London but like you I wouldn't swap my life here for there in a million years - I've done my time in the SE, 13 years we were down there, I can't stand commuting.

Thats right'I do remember HP took them over and renamed to QC now you come to mention it.

I think IBM started this all with their Full Lifecycle Testing. It first came to my notice when we used it for preparing for and testing for Y2K bug back in about 1996.

My organisation tried to get into automated reuseable test scripts with Win runner etc and eventually Test director.

I think QC is widely used these days.

The last two places I've work used ALM but it is really only QC re-marketed - I upgraded to ALM in the last place I work in Perth. Mind you most people still call it QC even when it isn't (including me!) :)

The problem with Y2K testing was so much of it was 3270 screens so not ideally suited to automated testing, it was alright for mass data entry type stuff.

I never got heavily into automation myself, moved into management quite quickly as IT was not my first career and I'd already been a Head of Department. Over-hyped and under-utilised in most organisations in my experience.

It was the IBM test automation toolset (Rational) that I implemented for my team in Perth to use rather than HP - some good guys at IBM in Perth, I know a few of them well. And IBM certainly know how to schmooze, had a fabulous wine tasting evening in Subiaco and Corporate Hospitality at Cirque du Soleil :)

£300 a day ain't bad though - I only read the paper because I was on a plane flying back from London, it interested me because it talked about the bias education in the UK has towards 'academics' and the 'brawn drain' with so many people in the trades heading to places like Australia to earn more money :)

I could easily earn £100 more a day in London but like you I wouldn't swap my life here for there in a million years - I've done my time in the SE, 13 years we were down there, I can't stand commuting.

You'll be on good conkers wherever you are i expect tho,and good luck to yer btw,yeah £300 a day is decent,i dont earn that here,had the odd day where i've made a lot more than £300,but thats "not" the norm,despite what the papers say!

I could go down there,but like you cba with the travelling,interesting place for a visit tho,used to drink in the Punch Bowl in Mayfair,Mrs Shand Kydds butler came over to us one day,and said "mrs Shand Kydd has asked me to ask you to stop singing in the morning":laugh:,you can guess the reply,establishment figures and me?:no:so i'm afraid the singing just got louder

Kind of, although I suspect you've been out of the field for a while as Mercury was taken over by HP many, many years ago and has been Quality Center since then and the latest version is marketed as ALM, although QC lives on in some organisations.

I'm still known to knock out the odd MTP or DTP though - I wouldn't credit it to IBM though, it is the IEEE 829 standard and this is still taught on the ISTQB but is only one of a number of 'life cycles' used these days with Rapid Software Testing and Agile increasingly popular. ISTQB now have a specific agile module.

I have no idea what the heck you are on about with all these acronyms. I can just about do LOL but you are a fantastic lady @Lady Rainicorn and can I have a job too? I could be Director in Charge of Curry and Cooking? I could relocate to Edinburgh............

It is.. I hate IT lol I'd love that kind of money but I just couldn't force myself to do it unfortunately

There are lots of jobs in IT that don't require you to get into the technical detail - I work on Business Analysis (chatting to people to suss what they want) and change management (dealing with the impacts of changes to the workplace caused by IT systems implementation). I have had a pretty technical background but many people I have met working in IT don't - You need great communication skills. including report writing skills. But it is not a geeks only career - and women can do very well. It is also a career that allows people to progress and develop without the need to become 'hands off' (so you don't have to manage people necessarily). Even if you do have to manage projects and teams, invariably these are well motivated, bright people who tend to need very little supervision (IMO). It is also a great job for introverts to shine at - analytical skills and ability to work on your own initiative is highly prized. There is a huge shortage of women in IT roles and I think it is a great shame......

There are lots of jobs in IT that don't require you to get into the technical detail - I work on Business Analysis (chatting to people to suss what they want) and change management (dealing with the impacts of changes to the workplace caused by IT systems implementation). I have had a pretty technical background but many people I have met working in IT don't - You need great communication skills. including report writing skills. But it is not a geeks only career - and women can do very well. It is also a career that allows people to progress and develop without the need to become 'hands off' (so you don't have to manage people necessarily). Even if you do have to manage projects and teams, invariably these are well motivated, bright people who tend to need very little supervision (IMO). It is also a great job for introverts to shine at - analytical skills and ability to work on your own initiative is highly prized. There is a huge shortage of women in IT roles and I think it is a great shame......

While that sounds great in theory there is a massive oversupply of IT people looking for work.

It is a buyers market for the employer.

I know from my own experience that agencies often get 200 applications from Project Managers when a position is advertised and BAs and Change Managers would also be finding it hard to get work.

While an inexperienced person could possibly do the work, the reality is the agency and/or employer can just cherry pick the very best candidates for interview.

If you don't have much experience you are unlikely to get a look in.

While that sounds great in theory there is a massive oversupply of IT people looking for work.

It is a buyers market for the employer.

I know from my own experience that agencies often get 200 applications from Project Managers when a position is advertised and BAs and Change Managers would also be finding it hard to get work.

While an inexperienced person could possibly do the work, the reality is the agency and/or employer can just cherry pick the very best candidates for interview.

If you don't have much experience you are unlikely to get a look in.

Oh jeez dont tell him that, will just find and excuse not to do it now