uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

No, they do not. There is no time limit.

All you need to do is have your overseas qualification assessed by the 'Overseas Qualification' Unit in Perth. You then receive a letter which will state if your degree /qualifications is comparable to an Australian degree/qualification, which you then give to Murdoch.

The university will then work out how much rpl you will be given and which units you can miss out.

It is a quick and simple process.

Well that info is appreciation and something I did not realise. I'd definitely do that. The problem remains. ...I've got no money to pay for units

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unless anyone has any suggestions for actually obtaining assistance to pay for University then we're probably done here. If I can recap: permanent residents get no help whatsoever so id have to pay cash up front. So, my only options would be to:

1 Pay everything up front

2. Go part time but still have to find cash from somewhere

3. Forget the idea

Have I missed anything?

I think unless anyone has any suggestions for actually obtaining assistance to pay for University then we're probably done here. If I can recap: permanent residents get no help whatsoever so id have to pay cash up front. So, my only options would be to:

3. Forget the idea

Have I missed anything?

.....yes........don't give up......:hug:

Nearly 3 years in, no money, no job, lost my partner of 20 years, both my dogs died, heart attack, depression, homeless living in a car, gall stones, dodgy kidney, there are days when I wonder how I'm still here. I have really no idea.

.......sometimes life throws everything at us....!

......one thing after another.....

.......quite a few on here experiencing similar......

.......a good friend helps......

........lots on here tbh...!

........ones that tell you how it is....

.......you don't always like it.......

........I know because when your low....it's hard to see a way out......

........but you have to believe there's better....

........and with good friends......your halfway there.....

........start and feel better about you......

.........and you'll portray confidence.......

........your outlook and demeanour will be more positive......

........then you'll start to move on......

........just one step at a time......

.........thinking of you.........and wishing you luck......tink X

Tink your post is lovely as usual - Don't know why I am still posting but OP I can assure you I have friends who have gone back and got benefits after 20 years away and others who got free university after 30 years away but as you said you do not want to go back - can't say any more - Good luck

Tink your post is lovely as usual - Don't know why I am still posting but OP I can assure you I have friends who have gone back and got benefits after 20 years away and others who got free university after 30 years away but as you said you do not want to go back - can't say any more - Good luck

Thank you though your post isnt actually helpful. Things have changed drastically in the UK with respect to the benefits system as I said I have been in touch with Glasgow City Social Work and it effectively means living on the streets. Thank you for you contribution.

3. Forget the idea

Have I missed anything?

How far off citizenship are you? I'm starting a degree in Feb 2014, I'm 46 and daunted! I didn't have citizenship when I applied, they were lovely but advised that as PR (then) I would be charged local fees but as soon as I became a citizen I could put the remaining semesters on HECS. I deferred a semester for various reasons but in that time I became a citizen, when do you qualify for citizenship? Once you apply and pass your interview/test, your need for HECS can accelerate the ceremony process and you can actually have it done within days for that reason? maybe apply for your uni place, get that secured then focus on your citizenship?

How far off citizenship are you? I'm starting a degree in Feb 2014, I'm 46 and daunted! I didn't have citizenship when I applied, they were lovely but advised that as PR (then) I would be charged local fees but as soon as I became a citizen I could put the remaining semesters on HECS. I deferred a semester for various reasons but in that time I became a citizen, when do you qualify for citizenship? Once you apply and pass your interview/test, your need for HECS can accelerate the ceremony process and you can actually have it done within days for that reason? maybe apply for your uni place, get that secured then focus on your citizenship?

Hi Jessie. Yeah I'm still about 15 months off (Not sure if they count from when the visa was granted or when I landed). Either way I'm a ways off it. Im 48 now so I'd be like 54 by the time I'd be fully qualified. Maybe folk are right and I should just forget it. Hmmm.

Hi Jessie. Yeah I'm still about 15 months off (Not sure if they count from when the visa was granted or when I landed). Either way I'm a ways off it. Im 48 now so I'd be like 54 by the time I'd be fully qualified. Maybe folk are right and I should just forget it. Hmmm.

....or try and find a way to achieve it...!

....54 is no age.....

.....where there's a will.........

You need to start looking for those positives. It's probably a sign of your depression but, you have somewhere to live , and benefits and citizenship and that training is just around the corner. I don't want to argue but you say where you live in Secret Harbour it's quicker to get a bus to Warnbro and a train to Mandurah. That just isn't true! I've lived in Secret Harbour and I work there now and know every street. It's 20 minutes in the wrong direction to Warnbro Station. Your either mis informed or making excuses. You have to try honestly you do.

When did things change drastically in Scotland? People I said were there - were there last year I think whoever you have spoken to at Glasgow Council do not know what they are talking about

Things have changed drastically in the last 12 months. If you are out of the country for more the two and a half years you will not get benefits for six months. I have no relatives left therefore no local connections. That means housing are no longer obliged to provide shelter. I have contacts on social cwork who have been very thorough as they would like to see me safe (mainly because I owe them $$$$ s). I no longer even hold a valid passport!

15 months isn't that long, and 54 is not a bad age!! I'll be 49 when I qualify as a nurse (fingers crossed!) the Uni are so supportive about what I have to offer when I qualify and it's done heaps for my confidence, I think in your situation things can only get better so start planning, 54 is a great age, still a good few years to offer to the world and just think about how much your previous experiences will enhance that!! It's tough as I can see that your really motivated to get started now but you will be surprised how quickly 15 months will pass, plenty of time to get the place secured, get prepping and get ahead of the game and then go for it!! Look on the positives, this is an opportunity for you it's just gonna be a year later than you hoped! I wish you all the best but I think if you're gonna get out there and be the person you want to be it starts now with a positive mental attitude, I think you can do it!! Xxxx

You need to start looking for those positives. It's probably a sign of your depression but, you have somewhere to live , and benefits and citizenship and that training is just around the corner. I don't want to argue but you say where you live in Secret Harbour it's quicker to get a bus to Warnbro and a train to Mandurah. That just isn't true! I've lived in Secret Harbour and I work there now and know every street. It's 20 minutes in the wrong direction to Warnbro Station. Your either mis informed or making excuses. You have to try honestly you do.

Well fair enough. It isn't a deal breaker is it. I'd find a way to Mandurah. But I need a job first.

......try and find all the positives in the posts you have received....!

......change your mindset......

......once you start looking for the helpful and good.....

......you'll leave behind the negatives......

.......so many here with your best interests at heart,,,,,

......keep that thought at the front of your mind.....

.....you will come through if you stay positive.......

......try and find all the positives in the posts you have received....!

......change your mindset......

......once you start looking for the helpful and good.....

......you'll leave behind the negatives......

.......so many here with your best interests at heart,,,,,

......keep that thought at the front of your mind.....

.....you will come through if you stay positive.......

I hear you Tink. But almost 50 years of struggle for what, nothing, tells me that it takes not just a PMA, but lots of luck, the right connections and well I don't know what else. But with the greatest of respect being optimistic about having nothing, I just can't see how that will help. Sorry. If someone out there steps up to the plate and gives me the big break I need I'll wholeheartedly accept that being positive worked. But that isn't going to happen though is it :-/

I hear you Tink. But almost 50 years of struggle for what, nothing, tells me that it takes not just a PMA, but lots of luck, the right connections and well I don't know what else. But with the greatest of respect being optimistic about having nothing, I just can't see how that will help. Sorry. If someone out there steps up to the plate and gives me the big break I need I'll wholeheartedly accept that being positive worked. But that isn't going to happen though is it :-/

......as I've already said......

.......you haven't a crystal ball......!

.......and you don't have nothing IMO....

.......you have friends trying so hard to find ways to help.....

........you have Internet to access that,....

.........but only by looking and appreciating those things.....

..........will you start to look forward instead of back.......

............yesterday is over......tomorrow yet to be...

..............today.....IMO......you have received such friendship and help......a positive experience.....

...............a step forward........

................keep going and look for the good.......tink X

If someone out there steps up to the plate and gives me the big break I need I'll wholeheartedly accept that being positive worked. But that isn't going to happen though is it :-/

It's not about someone else out there stepping up to the plate and giving you a big break. It is about you stepping up to the plate now and having a go, making a plan. I sincerely wish you all the best. There has been so much support and help on this thread for you and you do have a chance to follow your dream - but you have to do it now.

You can do it, it is possible.

It's not about someone else out there stepping up to the plate and giving you a big break. It is about you stepping up to the plate now and having a go, making a plan. I sincerely wish you all the best. There has been so much support and help on this thread for you and you do have a chance to follow your dream - but you have to do it now.

You can do it, it is possible.

You see that's the issue. I did step up. I tried to better myself but I can't afford it. I tried with a job last year but had a heart attack and a breakdown. Ive been trying to get a job ever since. I even went to TAFE but that didn't help. Plans are all very well but there has to be something at the end and there just isnt.

You see that's the issue. I did step up. I tried to better myself but I can't afford it. I tried with a job last year but had a heart attack and a breakdown. Ive been trying to get a job ever since. I even went to TAFE but that didn't help. Plans are all very well but there has to be something at the end and there just isnt.

.......and that is past......

.......we all follow paths at some time in our lives that fade out.....or are a dead end.....

.......we have to choose another,....

.......there are no guarantees........

........but we must try......

........it's not a failure ...it's an experience......choose how to look at it....

........and we only fail if we don't get back up......