uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bow out now as I feel that you are not open to any practical suggestions. I have lived with basically nothing and have done what I am suggesting to you. Good luck.

I personally would still like to know how someone on $75 is meant to save anything.

Sorry to hear that things are pretty bad for you DS. I didn't realise you were back in Perth

I can't help with the Uni Fees, maybe that is something you can look at later

just a few ideas for jobs if you think you can manage them

There are lots of Car Sales yards in Rockingham and Mandurah, maybe give them all a ring and offer to come down just to get some experience with anything they need help with eg car detailing

have a look at all the Social workers services around your area from Rockingham to Mandurah and offer to volunteer to help out anyone who needs Counselling.

You will meet people and if you work hard and get a bit of experience without getting paid it could lead to them offering you something part time or someone you deal with might know someone looking something you could do

Good Luck, if I hear off anything at all around the area that isn't too physical I will let you know

Edited by Irishgirl1

Sorry to hear that things are pretty bad for you DS. I didn't realise you were back in Perth

I can't help with the Uni Fees, maybe that is something you can look at later

just a few ideas for jobs if you think you can manage them

There are lots of Car Sales yards in Rockingham and Mandurah, maybe give them all a ring and offer to come down just to get some experience with anything they need help with eg car detailing

have a look at all the Social workers services around your area from Rockingham to Mandurah and offer to volunteer to help out anyone who needs Counselling.

You will meet people and if you work hard and get a bit of experience without getting paid it could lead to them offering you something part time or someone you deal with might know someone looking something you could do

Good Luck, if I hear off anything at all around the area that isn't too physical I will let you know

Hi Irish. I tried volunteering but no one seemed interested. I couldn't get back to doing what I used to because the agencies all take their volunteers from a govt scheme which I've tried to get on to but can't.

Mandurah seems like an option but I'd need my travelling expences at least as its a bit away.

I kinda feel its all a bit hopeless really. I thought going to Uni would be step in the right direction but I was surprised that I'd get no help with fees. TAFE courses aren't at a high enough level to be recognized and Rockingham TAFE doesn't do psychology anyway.

I've tried places like Repco but to no avail. I think I'm too old for employers perhaps. I've tried to get skills but just not happening without money. Even the jsa people have no money to pay for courses (so they tell me).

I can't go back to Glasgow so I'm stuck here. It feels like I'm rotting away. Like decay I guess. Not been out of my room or bed today at all. Luckily one of my kidneys isn't working so well these days so I haven't had to go to the toilet!

My first ever job was in a motorcycle shop. Probably way too old and not cool enough for that sort of thing though. Not that I have any bike skills anyway.

I do get down when I think about not leaving this room, but got nowhere to go (no money to go anywhere even if there was). The local pub is 4 minutes walk from the house but I've never been in it. How sad is that!

This week my bills are such that I will have precisely nothing to live off for the next two weeks after I get my Centrelink money on Monday.

This isn't living is it? :.-(

I don't know the area you live in DS but is there any business's within walking distance to where you live?I'm thinking as you don't have any extra cash for public transport you could walk around your area with your cv?For the time being,I'd give up on the uni idea.Like you said,you have no spare cash,you need a job more right now.Have you tried posting a job wanted ad on Gumtree?Its free.DS,you have a roof over your head and food.Thats alot more than some people have to please try and focus on that for the time being.x

I've been looking back some of your old posts, hoping that inspiration will strike! I noticed you offered some really lovely help to a poster called @Maginca. Anyway, my question was: did you ever look into the Recognition of Prior Learning thing?

Hi. I can't remember the posting, but I wouldn't get any rpl as I've been gete more than two years. :-(

I don't know the area you live in DS but is there any business's within walking distance to where you live?I'm thinking as you don't have any extra cash for public transport you could walk around your area with your cv?For the time being,I'd give up on the uni idea.Like you said,you have no spare cash,you need a job more right now.Have you tried posting a job wanted ad on Gumtree?Its free.DS,you have a roof over your head and food.Thats alot more than some people have to please try and focus on that for the time being.x

I really can't see a way out of this without going back to Uni. Without transport Mandurah is a bus and a train ride away. Maybe not so practical. Rockingham would be easier I think. There's nothing much in Secret Harbour. Again Rockingham is kinda holiday/seaside like not so many businesses there. I notice a lot have closed recently as well.

Hi. I can't remember the posting, but I wouldn't get any rpl as I've been gete more than two years. :-(

Sorry, have to interject.You would get rpl due to the fact you have two degrees and therefore have previously studied. It makes no difference as to when the degrees were studied, Murdoch would give you recognition for some units and this would shorten your course as you would not be expected to do any foundation units.

You are a very short bus ride away from the Rockingham Murdoch campus. You are also able to go to the main campus at Murdoch as the university lays on free bus transport every 20 minutes from the train station. If you wanted to go to Mandurah, then again it is a short bus ride. Transport is available and it is regular.

Edited by Sammy1

I didnt know about VERYSTORMY I'm really sad to hear that. Stormy (and you fifi) helped me when Max and me were about to starve. Will never forget that xcx

can I ask is Verystormy OK? I've read back on the thread but can't seem to find anything, he comes across as a lovely bloke and I'm hoping all is ok xxxx

Sorry, have to interject.You would get rpl due to the fact you have two degrees and therefore have previously studied. It makes no difference as to when the degrees were studied, Murdoch would give you recognition for some units and this would shorten your course as you would not be expected to do any foundation units.

You are a very short bus ride away from the Rockingham Murdoch campus. You are also able to go to the main campus at Murdoch as the university lays on free bus transport every 20 minutes from the train station. If you wanted to go to Mandurah, then again it is a short bus ride. Transport is available and it is regular.

Hi Sammy. I think there is a time limit. Do non Aus degrees not have to be ratified by Canberra for equivalency? Fairly sure they do in which case a 2 year time limit applies.

Unfortunately it won't be given to you on a silver platter by a kind benefactor.

You will need to develop a plan of steps and actions you will take that will lead to a job.

There are lots of ideas in this thread to get you on your way.

I hear you. But looking back through the thread the only suggestions are do it part time and save which isn't going to happen because I don't have a job or wait 15 months and become a citizen. As for a plan of action well, when you have no money things are very difficult. I simply don't see a way out of this.

Hi Sammy. I think there is a time limit. Do non Aus degrees not have to be ratified by Canberra for equivalency? Fairly sure they do in which case a 2 year time limit applies.

No, they do not. There is no time limit.

All you need to do is have your overseas qualification assessed by the 'Overseas Qualification' Unit in Perth. You then receive a letter which will state if your degree /qualifications is comparable to an Australian degree/qualification, which you then give to Murdoch.

The university will then work out how much rpl you will be given and which units you can miss out.

It is a quick and simple process.

Edited by Sammy1

Thanks for the info about their foundation units and the free bus service. That would indeed make it much easier to get to Murdoch. Sadly I still won't have any money to pay for it though. I did ask about scholarships and such like but it seems even if I got anything it wouldn't cover the costs.

I think I shall try to forget about Uni as its just not practical. Shame really its what I wanted to do. Getting used to disappointment now :-(

I think you should go back to Scotland - you are not barred from benefits for six months only unemployment benefit. You will get supplementary benefit which is means tested and is roughly the same as unemployment benefit. You can then organise yourself to go to Uni for free - sounds like a no brainer to me!

Edited by dxboz

I think you should go back to Scotland - you are not barred from benefits for six months only unemployment benefit. You will get supplementary benefit which is means tested and is roughly the same as unemployment benefit. You can then organise yourself to go to Uni for free - sounds like a no brainer to me!

Supplenentary benefit was discontinued c1989. Please don't reply without knowing your facts

I really can't see a way out of this without going back to Uni. Without transport Mandurah is a bus and a train ride away. Maybe not so practical. Rockingham would be easier I think. There's nothing much in Secret Harbour. Again Rockingham is kinda holiday/seaside like not so many businesses there. I notice a lot have closed recently as well.

I confess to being a bit confused about this one. Mandurah most certainly is not a train ride away from Secret Harbour. It's one bus journey away about 20 -30 mins maximum. :err:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

I confess to being a bit confused about this one. Mandurah most certainly is not a train ride away from Secret Harbour. It's one bus journey away about 25-30 mins maximum. :err:

From where I am it's quicker to get the bus to Warnbro and then the train. But its no big deal if the bus was nore convenient I'd take it. Maybe getting a bit off topic here.

Might have used the wrong terminology but supplementary benefit does still exist under a different name.

Dxboz I appreciate what you're saying but the UK has made it quite clear that returning UK migrants will not be allowed access to benefits for a six month perion on return. That applies to housing benefit as well. Also, because I've been out of the country for more than two and a half years I'm deemed to have lost my local connection to any area to live in (I have no relatives/family) as such I'd be homeless. Ive looked into going back quite extensively and talk to Glasgow City social work dept who adivsed, 'stay where you are'. Thanks.