uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of it is the method of repayment. Perm visa holders are not always here on a perm basis (despite the name). Once they leave the country the legalities around HECS is that the Australian government cannot pursue the debt if you move overseas (unlike similar loan schemes used in the US). So the fear would be that people would come here on a PR with no desire to work, study a degree and then leave the country. If you plan to live here you become a citizen and then can get free education...and really he delay is only 3 years if you stay in country the whole time...not enough time for the government to worry about changing the laws. In the scheme of unfairness...NZers who have lived here for 10 years don't have access to HECS either and they have contributed far more to the economy that someone only here for a couple.

Looking at at other countries, Australia allows its citizens to get access to the loans even if you have lived outside the country for a couple of years...something the UK does not allow (and charge international rates on top of that)..so there are positives and negatives with each countries way of handling loans for education.

I guess that seems reasonable.

I only ever handled the account side of the business, my partner and contractors did the rest of it. I think if I were studying I'd need to do it full time. If I did it part time I'd be mid 50s before I qualified.

I did take my cv to the likes of Woolies and such but they weren't interested. Besides, I have no skills, the first question everyone asks is - what do you do? I can't answer that because, well, I don't know :-/

Like i said, small business' - not places that ask you to apply online. They ask you what you do you tell them why your an asset. You use your past experience! Sell yourself!

if you were in the industry working part time and studying to be qualified part time what is wrong with that?!? I am in the tourism industry, I studied full time to become qualified whilst working part time in the exact industry I was wanting to get into - I just worked in a entry level position

Mid 50s is not too old. I have been placed medical registrars into practices and two of my new intakes did not start studying medicine until they were in their 50s, and medicine is a long course compared with psychology.

I'm OK with the age thing if there's something to be had at the end of it. I guess my point is that if I study full time I can throw myself into it. I do hear what people are saying about part time study but I cant see myself doing that because it would greatly extend the timescales and i haven't been able to get even part time work in nearly three years so it doesn't help. I've got no transport either which is awkward (anyone got a spare car? ??).

I just can't see a way to make this work.

What job have you done all your life?

Oh well, lots really. Ran the website (business side) of what was then Scotlands largest sportswear retailer, sys admin for a workers coop, account handler for my media company, taxi driver, hypnotherapist, delivery driver, and the last three years in Scotland I was a tutor/administrator on a project working with folk with alcohol and narcotics addictions (taught I.T., group work, team building, life skills and so on). Yeah, quite a few things I guess.

I'm OK with the age thing if there's something to be had at the end of it. I guess my point is that if I study full time I can throw myself into it. I do hear what people are saying about part time study but I cant see myself doing that because it would greatly extend the timescales and i haven't been able to get even part time work in nearly three years so it doesn't help. I've got no transport either which is awkward (anyone got a spare car? ??).

I just can't see a way to make this work.

Murdoch has a campus in Rockingham which is a hop and a skip away from you. There are regular buses to the campus. Otherwise you can go to the main campus which has free buses every 20 minutes from the train station. Easy to get there. I know Murdoch well.

I have a friend that started her teaching degree at age 50 and finished at age 55. She is now teaching. She had little money, but she did it.

It would not greatly extend the time scale at all for you, the positive is that you would have started and met like minded people studying. There are hundreds of mature students studying part time. I have given you a really viable plan, have a go, it will help you. Take that first step. Save for that one unit now and you will be on the way.

Edited by Sammy1

Murdoch has a campus in Rockingham which is a hop and a skip away from you. There are regular buses to the bus station. Otherwise you can go to the main campus which has free buses every 20 minutes from the train station. Easy to get there. I know Murdoch well.

I have a friend that started her teaching degree at age 50 and finished at age 55. She is now teaching. She had little money, but she did it.

It would not greatly extend the time scale at all for you, the positive is that you would have started and met like minded people studying. There are hundreds of mature students. I have given you a really viable plan, have a go, it will help you.

Well yes, I want to study. That's what I want to do. Right now I can't afford the bus fare let alone pay for units. Each unit is a minimum of $750 some are over $1k. Even if I could get a part time job there's no way I could afford even a single unit a year let alone the number required to complete a course. I'd need another lifetime to complete it! Apologies if I'm coming across as negative that isnt my intention. I'm just being practical. With no money at all behind me its just impossible.

Well yes, I want to study. That's what I want to do. Right now I can't afford the bus fare let alone pay for units. Each unit is a minimum of $750 some are over $1k. Even if I could get a part time job there's no way I could afford even a single unit a year let alone the number required to complete a course. I'd need another lifetime to complete it! Apologies if I'm coming across as negative that isnt my intention. I'm just being practical. With no money at all behind me its just impossible.

Study online then for your first unit, Murdoch has a a huge external community and is well positioned to offer excellent lectures online and tutorials with experienced tutors online.

However, if you choose to study at the campus, then for one unit you would only require the bus fare once a week to Rockingham.

I have given you extremely practical solutions in each of my posts on your thread. Please have another read of them, my advise is extremely do-able.

Like I said, start off part time, Murdoch recommend this after a break in study and then in 15 months time become a citizen and start full time. I feel I am repeating myself and wasting my breath somewhat, but start saving now for one unit and apply to start in Semester 2, 2015.

You would also qualify for the book subsidy at Murdoch which would pay for your text books.

Edited by Sammy1

I've looked at the Murdoch course and the BA psychology isn't available as an online option, its internal only. I know I could get to the campus or even their Mandurah campus if I had to that would be ok. The problem is money. I have no money for fees! Each unit is a minimum of $750, some are over a grand. Where would I get that kind of money from? Not working part time. At one unitva year I would actually need another lifetime to complete the course. I have no ability to save. I'm living off about $75 a fortnight right now :-/

I've looked at the Murdoch course and the BA psychology isn't available as an online option, its internal only. I know I could get to the campus or even their Mandurah campus if I had to that would be ok. The problem is money. I have no money for fees! Each unit is a minimum of $750, some are over a grand. Where would I get that kind of money from? Not working part time. At one unitva year I would actually need another lifetime to complete the course. I have no ability to save. I'm living off about $75 a fortnight right now :-/

Then sadly you are just going to have to wait.

You would not need to do one unit each year for ever, after 15 months you could study full time as an Australian citizen and thus access student loan assistance. Open up an account and start saving what little you can each fortnight and put it into that account. When you can finally start full time, you could take on extra units to make up for the previous part time study - many do.

That way you would have the chance of saving the money needed in 8 months time to start one unit. I speak from the viewpoint of experience.

Like I said, the university recommends one unit to begin with anyway.

Good luck.

Edited by Sammy1

How can I save when all I'm left with is $75 a fortnight!

You save as much as you can whenever you can. When a part time or full time job comes up you save a little more. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. You will get there if you make the decision to start now. I really won't say much more as I have written a lot of posts on this thread that can actually help you.

You save as much as you can whenever you can. When a part time or full time job comes up you save a little more. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. You will get there if you make the decision to start now. I really won't say much more as I have written a lot of posts on this thread that can actually help you.

If I had a full time job we wouldn't be having this conversation! I've got zero ability to save, no chance of a job (I want to go to Uni so I can get a job!). There's no realistic way of doing this. I give up. MLS

Edited by DisillusionedScot

C,Mon guys...give him a break.

I think the saying walk a mile in my shoes comes to mind.

It isn't easy to get a job here..even the likes of Woolies, Coles etc. Ive sent applications to those places and never heard a thing back.

As for saving money when your on $75......really??

all the guy needs is a break...someone to give him a job.

I realise a lot of the posts are well meaning, but, and I don't consider myself a negative person, they just aren't practical.

Fifi! Hi! :-)

Hiya Alan

Sorry things are sh1t at the mo...

Jeez though nobody can say you dont keep trying.

Do you need anything? I'm tied up this weekend, but can do you a online shop, if you let me know your new address.

Just an inside, have you applied to Masters in Baldivis, my friend, who hasn't worked at all for the past 8 years has just been invited to a group interview there.

C,Mon guys...give him a break.

I think the saying walk a mile in my shoes comes to mind.

It isn't easy to get a job here..even the likes of Woolies, Coles etc. Ive sent applications to those places and never heard a thing back.

As for saving money when your on $75......really??

all the guy needs is a break...someone to give him a job.

I realise a lot of the posts are well meaning, but, and I don't consider myself a negative person, they just aren't practical.

My posts have been very helpful and are very very practical. Yes, he can save money, little by little. It is possible and there are ways and means to do it.

Edited by Sammy1

No not tried Masters directly. I am registered with them thou, part of the Woolies group. I'm ok for food, just paid my rent so hopefully housemate will do a shop (she owns the house).

I'm still hanging in here after all this time. Did think my time was up two weekends ago, got rushed to Rockingham hosp with severe abdominal pain. Gsll stones apparently. Seemed to clear on its own. Two days later got gastro! Oh what fun its bern :-) hope things are good with you? :-)

My posts have been very helpful and are very very practical. Yes, he can save money, little by little. It is possible and there are ways and means to do it.

Sorry Sammy, but I need every penny just to keep my head above water. If little by little you meant a dollar or two every now and again then maybe, but realistically that's not going to make a dent in it is it. Thanks for your suggestions, but I need to live in the real world where for me a dollar has sometimes meant the difference between eating or not.

Sorry Sammy, but I need every penny just to keep my head above water. If little by little you meant a dollar or two every now and again then maybe, but realistically that's not going to make a dent in it is it. Thanks for your suggestions, but I need to live in the real world where for me a dollar has sometimes meant the difference between eating or not.

I will bow out now as I feel that you are not open to any practical suggestions. I have lived with basically nothing and have done what I am suggesting to you. Good luck.

I will bow out now as I feel that you are not open to any practical suggestions. I have lived with basically nothing and have done what I am suggesting to you. Good luck.

As I saud I live in the real world. How much would you think I can save off $75? If I could get a job to save money I wouldn't be having this conversation.

In Oz or the UK?

im not disrespecting your posts at all, but I too have had periods of unemployment in Oz, and tbh if it wasnt for the who you know, rather than what you, I probably would still be unemployed. Someone was kind enough to give me a break, if I can help someone else get a break I will. Although my situation was never as dire as DS as I had my families support.

I hope he doest mind me mentioning this, but our member @VERYSTORMY has done some practical stuff to help DS...but he himself now finds himself unemployed and just can't get a job in his field at all, having a degree. In fact he is struggling to get any job.

At the end of the day its a paying job that people need.

Seems like there isn't much practical government help out there..