uni fees - assistance for perm resident holder

DisillusionedScot

It seems your employer counsellor would be the best person to discuss this with, ask if there are organisations that offer contributions to aid study, they might have access to courses that you can do which are paid for to further develop your skills and whilst that might not be the desired pathway it will keep you active and start giving you things which will enhance your CV. If you've re-connected with MH services in Peel do ask them about supporting you in finding employment/accessing courses - there are organisations that can assist people with MH difficulties secure employment - it's worth asking and you've lost nothing by doing so.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still another year and a bit away from citizenship. Just got this email from Murdoch Uni:

Thank you for contacting Murdoch University.

There is no fee assistance or payment plans for permanent residents. All fees must be payed upfront.

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

The Student Centre Team.

There goes that dream

Sadly age won't. I'm nearly 50 and not even begun a career. I feel like I'm being punished for doing everything right. If I had a means of supporting myself and somewhere to stay I'd go back to Glasgow tomorrow. I'm rotting away here. No one wants an unskilled old guy like me and three years of trying proves that. This really sucks. :-(

50 is'nt old!!!!!Lots of people change/find jobs in the UK,older than that!I think Oz is abit different age /job wise from what I've read lately though.Not sure why that is.Older (not old just older)people can be more reliable and mature.Is there no one in the UK who can help you family wise?Siblings?Cousins?Mates?If not then I would contact a hostel in Glasgow and ask if you can stay there when you arrive.You'd have to consider how you would support yourself though.I think once you've been out of the UK for 2 yrs you not entitled to benefits (Please double check this though,I could be wrong)

Hi Melza, you're right. I'd be barred from benefits for at least 6 months. I wouldn't even be able to get into a homeless shelter because I've been away for more than two and a half years I'm now considered to have no local connection. I'd be on the streets literally. I have no family back home and the one or two people I do know can't/won't take me in. Sadly the truth is that 50 is old. Going back to Uni was I think my last hope. I feel like I'm sitting in my room just waiting to die. A long, slow process of decay. I think I've given life my best shot.

I came here with a big box of dreams thats slowly shrunk to a dice sized cube of want and need. Now even that is shrinking. It's pretty much game over really. Damn.

Ah. Well. I had a small media company, I drove a taxi and I had my hypnotherapy business. For the last three years I worked in a project for folk with drug, alcohol and mental health issues as a tutor/administrator. I've done everything from sitting with the Board of Directories of what used to be Scotlands largest sportswear retailer, to driving a van delivering toilet paper. Now though I don't have my health, or any hope. My box of dreams gets smaller every day :-/

Yeah, I appreciate the words, but at approaching 50 it really is time for me to give up. I've failed. I thought going back to Uni would throw me a lifeline, but no. I'm stuck, can't go anywhere or do anything. Who would want to employ an old guy with no skills? No one in Aus that's for sure and three years of trying seems to prove that.

I've just turned 50 and it isn't time to give up yet.

You should have another 15 years working life to go.

Even if you went back to Scotland you need to get work so work out what you can do.

You have a lot of experience doing different things.

Do you have a well written CV ?

Like I said, look at driving jobs ? also the big retailers look out for staff. Approach all the Coles and Woolworths in your area ?

Anything to get working again and build some self esteem.

Honestly, I've tried every avenue I can think of and after three years it seems fairly clear to me that I'm just not what employers are looking for. Ive been to TAFE but that didn't help, I want to go to Uni but I can't because there's no help with fees. I attend my employment consultant every week, I do everything I'm told. No one wants an old guy with no skills and I can't blame them.

I hear you but I can't try any more. Three years of trying and it hasn't worked. I remember last year I asked on here if anyone would give me a job. No one would. All folk did was criticise. I've lowered my standards, I've forgotten my dreams and I've left what's left of my pride at the door but still no one wants to know. I'm resigned to just sitting here kinda just waiting to die really.