Shabby poorly built and...

Guest Guest26110

Ive been a district nurse in inner sydney for ages and got to nose round all classes of real estate and I can honestly say a lot of it is utter crap. Especially if you consider people are paying well over 1 million at auction for a very basic house.

The land has the value...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you expect to do a whole house for that? It cost me a lot more than that in GBP to do a 2 bed house in the UK

You may have over paid, to replace all my windows and front door with uPVC in a two bedder in the UK came in at around 2.5K GBP.

I've had a look and sure enough there are a few double glazing suppliers in Canberra and one I found can even supply uPVC ! However the bit that scared me and I would imagine all Australians who considered going the uPVC route was the price, $3000 for one French door. I would expect to do a whole 3 bedroom house for that much.

Here it is if anyone's interested; http://www.armadacanberra.com/double-glazed-prices.html

At those knock down prices I could get my house done for $30k (or just pay the fuel costs for the next 30 years...).

That's what my hubby said - all our money is in the land

Might as well live in a garden shed then. Oops my bad isn't that what those old Queenslanders are? You know the ones that if they catch fire take a whole 12 to 15 minutes before they're a pile of ash on the ground.

If you can't afford Australia there is an easy solution. Oh and remember locals earn far more than the rest of the country on average, dual income and one or two degrees per household.

I do not see anything in my post that suggests I can't afford Australia. What I cannot tolerate is being continually ripped off.

One of our biggest disappointments in Australia is the houses. We just don't like them. We think they are flimsy and the layout poorly designed. Especially here in Perth they all seem to be the same inside. Big open plan kitchen and family area and then bedrooms - all with little or no character.

The open plan idea - I know it can be great for families but not everyone wants this. When we entertain or someone comes into our house they enter into this area and have to pass through it. It means the kitchen area has to be kept spotless at all times. We like a kitchen with a door on it so you can hide your sins away! I hate anyone being able to see me when I am cooking.

Toilets - there is a separate toilet within the main ensuite but other than that the other toilet is not in the family bathroom either, but in the laundry room - whose stupid idea was that? Again it means when you have guests you have to tidy the laundry room and hands have to be washed in the laundry sink.

Bedrooms - main bedroom is on the front - right next to the front door so need to keep the door shut all the time. Again a stupid idea. How many times have we heard of cars careering through someone's bedroom while they are asleep and I hate the idea of people passing not far from where I am sleeping. Remaining bedroom down a corridor off main family area, although one of them opens almost immediately from the family area - and no door between this and bedroom corridor - how on earth are kids supposed to sleep? Also this is right next to laundry room and the toilet is also the other side of the bedroom wall so no-one dares flush in the middle of the night or early monring for fear of waking anyone up! Other bedrooms not far down the corridor, so no one dares put the kettle on in the kitchen if they get up early as it can be heard through the whole house! You can hear everything, even the fridge door opening. I hate the one storey layout - bedrooms should be upstairs.

And don't get me started on insulation. We keep watching 'My Flat Pack Home' with Amanda Lamb. Wish we would import one but I guess the monopolised Australian building industry won't allow it. Luckily we are only renting at the moment, but it is a serious consideration in the overall question of whether we want to stay here long term. The landlords put the house on the market last year - it didn't sell - at a price of just under $600,000. I wouldn't pay half that for it!

So there I was watching Escape to the country last night.

A beautiful house in the Cotswolds, costing over 600.000 UK pds and guess what!!!!!

The downstairs toilet was in the in the laundry room!!!!

A beautiful house in the Cotswolds, costing over 600.000 UK pds and guess what!!!!!

Utility room in UK parlance. A toilet in the utility room is not an issue. What is an issue is if the toilet itself is amongst the washing machine, dryer etc. To be honest I've never seen a situation like that even in Australia. Surely the correct terminology should be, "cloakroom off of the utility room"

Utility room in UK parlance. A toilet in the utility room is not an issue. What is an issue is if the toilet itself is amongst the washing machine, dryer etc. To be honest I've never seen a situation like that even in Australia. Surely the correct terminology should be, "cloakroom off of the utility room"

Of course I know it's a utility room! I was replying in response to the post. Yes the washing machine plus the toilet !!! was in the utility/laundry room it was not off the utility/laundry room, it was in it.

Was making the obvious point that it isn't unique to Australia, even it unusual.

Common to put washer in a bathroom where space is tight. I have come across this often in holiday rentals in Europe and Australia. More a case of washer in the loo than toilet in the laundry room. Those places did not have space for a laundry room or even a washer in the kitchen. Particularly common in Spain.

on the other hand, when we built our house in the Adelaide Hills which has always been rented out, we added extra insulation and double glazing. The tenants have been very happy with the utility bills. One even decided to add DG to the house they were building.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be reflected in the price when we sell as most people just don't appreciate the difference it can make.

I do not see anything in my post that suggests I can't afford Australia. What I cannot tolerate is being continually ripped off.

On your way then!

Might as well live in a garden shed then. Oops my bad isn't that what those old Queenslanders are? You know the ones that if they catch fire take a whole 12 to 15 minutes before they're a pile of ash on the ground.

I think you know Australia isn't for you. Best to cut your losses eh?

Insurance covers that...And you still have a very valuable piece of land.

Cheers, Bobj.

But you aren't being ripped off. What you can't tolerate is the perceived inequality between what things cost in the UK to here. Double glazing is more of a niche product here, sold to a small group of consumers, there is low competition -- therefore prices are high... Now train tickets in the UK, or resort prices during school holidays - that is a different matter. :wink:

Now that is disgusting

But you aren't being ripped off. What you can't tolerate is the perceived inequality between what things cost in the UK to here. Double glazing is more of a niche product here, sold to a small group of consumers, there is low competition -- therefore prices are high... Now train tickets in the UK, or resort prices during school holidays - that is a different matter. :wink:

So many poms make the move to Australia physically but stay in the U.K mentally. It's inevitable that they will struggle

If you can't find a house that suits then the solution is to build. We had that issue. We wanted something that was unique - a house the size of a 4 bedroom but with only two and a large gallery / art room, main bedroom at rear with a great on suite. So we decided to build. Process has been easy and we get what we want.

Guest Guest26110

We stayed in a rental in Gosford a few years ago, it had a utility, toilet and shower room in one. A bit odd but still not as odd as no handbasin in the toilet!