Shabby poorly built and...

Guest Guest26110

...but other than that the other toilet is not in the family bathroom either, but in the laundry room

I have lived in Australia for 60 years and have NEVER seen a toilet in the laundry room. Unless that's a Perth speciality? (I've never been to Perth).

I've lived in many houses but not one conforms to the layout you describe. Again, it may be a Perth thing...but Perth is not Australia.

We keep watching 'My Flat Pack Home' with Amanda Lamb. Wish we would import one but I guess the monopolised Australian building industry won't allow it.

I don't know this program but one company here was collaborating with the German Baufritz house manufacturer.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Australia for 60 years and have NEVER seen a toilet in the laundry room. Unless that's a Perth speciality? (I've never been to Perth).

I've lived in many houses but not one conforms to the layout you describe. Again, it may be a Perth thing...but Perth is not Australia.

I don't know this program but one company here was collaborating with the German Baufritz house manufacturer.

That would be hilarious to have a toilet in the laundry room. If you dropped a massive dump, your clothes wouldnt exactly smell fresh would they !!!

That would be hilarious to have a toilet in the laundry room. If you dropped a massive dump, your clothes wouldnt exactly smell fresh would they !!!

Quite. And what if the spin cycle engaged while you were sat on it? Don't these people ever think these things through......??

I am assuming that the toilet is actually accessed via the laundry room and is in its own little room with a door. and not a toilet pan between the washer and dryer!

Then with out knowing the exact layout of the house, whilst not ideal, but surely this would be better than the toilet accessed via the lounge/kitchen area's or even an outside dunny!

I am assuming that the toilet is actually accessed via the laundry room and is in its own little room with a door. and not a toilet pan between the washer and dryer!

Then with out knowing the exact layout of the house, whilst not ideal, but surely this would be better than the toilet accessed via the lounge/kitchen area's or even an outside dunny!

I've seen it and it's as you've described it and it works a treat when wet children need the loo and you don't want them dripping all through the house from the pool.

I've seen it and it's as you've described it and it works a treat when wet children need the loo and you don't want them dripping all through the house from the pool.

Yeah it would be good to have a house with a pool. Notwithstanding the dunny issue, kids dry off in about a minute in hot weather so not usually a problem. Wrap a towel around them and everything is cool.

Really? Can you name one address in Qld with double glazing?

My ex-rental in Tarragindi!! It was someone's home rather than purchased as a buy to let, and boy did it show - We had double glazed french windows in our bedroom which was a godsend in summer when we could turn on the air-con and block out the noise from the neighbours. Everything top quality - you didn't even get shocks from the electric, new screens on the windows, tastefully painted. Sadly they returned to Oz and wanted it back :(

Almost everywhere I have rented (A mix - from bogan to executive properties) has been adjacent to deaf people who like to watch telly on their deck until the wee hours and shout at their mates sitting inches from them.... I am currently in a lovely property with great views from the deck, the sound of birdsong (even screeching from the cockatoos doesn't bother me). It is so lovely just sitting there on a warm night with a beer and relaxing - Until some other b@gger has a BBQ, rolls out the telly and starts a sing song....

Yes I am trying to work out if he is a whinging pom, whinging on about whinging poms, or if he is an Aussie, whinging about whinging poms! but that would make him a whinging Aussie! surely no such thing! is there?

They say that when a Qantas jet lands at Heathrow (or any other non Australian airport) the whining carries on long after the engines have been switched off.

Really? Can you name one address in Qld with double glazing?

No idea about Qld but double and triple glazing is advertised regularly on the radio here and they are very busy. Next!

OK, here's the next question. Nice, easy one. Have you got double glazing in your house?

No. We sold it and living with mother-in-law while looking for a property suitable for horses. She's an invalid pensioner but the house has high level insulation in the roof walls etc, I know I upgraded it. More to come down the track

Pommy barsteward, nearly half a century

That explains a lot, construction has come a long long way in the UK since 1964. Things that are considered the norm there are unheard of here which is surprising considering what a small world it has become with the internet etc. I think it can only be put down to the Australian resistance to change.

So, next question, slightly more involved. Pop along to whatever new estate is being built and take a look at what's being installed there. You won't find much double glazing, and Canberra is the place where they'd get most benefit. Here in the sunny north, you never even see it in high spec new builds.

And that's the underlying point: In Australia, you often pay more for a lower specced house. They both have windows, they both let light in, but the quality here is often inferior with no price differential.

So, next question, slightly more involved. Pop along to whatever new estate is being built and take a look at what's being installed there. You won't find much double glazing, and Canberra is the place where they'd get most benefit. Here in the sunny north, you never even see it in high spec new builds.

And that's the underlying point: In Australia, you often pay more for a lower specced house. They both have windows, they both let light in, but the quality here is often inferior with no price differential.

People here spec it if they want it. Can't see any negative there

I've had a look and sure enough there are a few double glazing suppliers in Canberra and one I found can even supply uPVC ! However the bit that scared me and I would imagine all Australians who considered going the uPVC route was the price, $3000 for one French door. I would expect to do a whole 3 bedroom house for that much.

Here it is if anyone's interested; http://www.armadacanberra.com/double-glazed-prices.html

I've had a look and sure enough there are a few double glazing suppliers in Canberra and one I found can even supply uPVC ! However the bit that scared me and I would imagine all Australians who considered going the uPVC route was the price, $3000 for one French door. I would expect to do a whole 3 bedroom house for that much.

Here it is if anyone's interested; http://www.armadacanberra.com/double-glazed-prices.html

If you can't afford Australia there is an easy solution. Oh and remember locals earn far more than the rest of the country on average, dual income and one or two degrees per household.

Ive been a district nurse in inner sydney for ages and got to nose round all classes of real estate and I can honestly say a lot of it is utter crap. Especially if you consider people are paying well over 1 million at auction for a very basic house.

If you can't afford Australia there is an easy solution. Oh and remember locals earn far more than the rest of the country on average, dual income and one or two degrees per household.

Isn't this the case in most households these days?

Why would you expect to do a whole house for that? It cost me a lot more than that in GBP to do a 2 bed house in the UK