Management Consultant

andpetros

Hi guys,

Just want to know your opinion about my visa. I have MSc in Energy and Resources Management (which includes courses of finance, economy, project management etc.). Just graduated. I have an option to apply for 485 Temporary graduate visa and stay 3 years as I have done MSc by research. But I'm thinking about going straight with PR and in the regional list of SA I have noticed the profession of Management Consultant. What do you reckon, am I eligible or it's kinda difficult to say?

Cheers

Andy

For a question like that, you really should be having at least an initial consultation with a good RMA but here's my take on it.

In order to apply for a state sponsored visa, you'll must have a positive skills assessment which for that occupation is done by VETASSESS. It's up to them to determine if it's an occupation you can nominate but if you've just graduated, even if your qualification is considered by VETASSESS as being 'highly relevant', you don't have the required post-qualification work experience.

For the occupation of Management Consultant (ANZSCO Code 224711), their requirements for a positive skills assessment are:

... a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then five additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the degree is not in a highly relevant field, three years of employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to two years if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Diploma level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Hi Ozmaniac,

thanks for your reply

Management Consultant in the SA skilled list is under "Special conditions apply". I looked through the special conditions again and it turned that "Consideration will be given to applicants (currently residing in South Australia) who are a PhD or Masters by Research SA graduates who don’t meet work experience requirement 6.2.1 or 6.2.2. To be considered, applicants must have an IELTS of 7.0 in each band score or 7.5 overall." I've done a Masters by Research and I reckon I just need IELTS 7 to be considered for Management consultant as PHD or Masters by research students don't need to meet all the work criteria.

Then I looked through "Work experience waiver" and according to 8.1.1 only PhD or Masters by Research graduates can access the waiver for South Australian Graduate List occupations or ‘Special conditions apply’ occupations). So I reckon I could be eligible for this. Anyway I'll contact a RMA. Could you suggest any good RMA that you previously worked with?

Cheers

Andy

Westley Russell @wrussell, Go Matilda @Alan Collett and Raul Senise @Raul Senise are all regular posters on PIO. All know their stuff and are recommended by numerous members.

I think though that you have missed a crucial point. South Australia may provide work experience exemptions to certain applicants for state sponsorship but VETASSESS never does. If you want to apply for a state sponsored 190 or 489 visa as a Management Consultant, you MUST have a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS and there is no way around that requirement if that's the occupation you want to nominate.

Consult a good RMA who may be able to suggest possible alternative strategies.

Edited by Ozmaniac

• 3 years later...
On 01/11/2014 at 13:14, Ozmaniac said:

For a question like that, you really should be having at least an initial consultation with a good RMA but here's my take on it.

In order to apply for a state sponsored visa, you'll must have a positive skills assessment which for that occupation is done by VETASSESS. It's up to them to determine if it's an occupation you can nominate but if you've just graduated, even if your qualification is considered by VETASSESS as being 'highly relevant', you don't have the required post-qualification work experience.

For the occupation of Management Consultant (ANZSCO Code 224711), their requirements for a positive skills assessment are:

... a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then five additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the degree is not in a highly relevant field, three years of employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to two years if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Diploma level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

Hi!

With relation to the above, im about to lodge my skills assessment with VETASSESS. I have a Bachelor of Business and Commerce Degree and just completed a year of work experience working as an associate Project Manager in Finance/IT (Fintech). Should I make the jump and apply for my skills assessment straight away or request some advice on this from VETASSESS? Appreciate any feedback on this!

Kind Regards,

NQ

If you have access to a subclass 485, it is probably prudent to take this option as an insurance policy.

We are currently experiencing very difficult and erratic times in the Australian Immigration space. Applying for PR through the State Sponsorship program is full of uncertainties and processing delays and in your case, is by no means guaranteed.

The 485 will give you the peace of mind of holding a substantive visa for a 3 year period. You can use that time to secure your PR, without the stress of imminent visa expiry or ongoing  bridging visas issues.

On 01/11/2014 at 13:14, Ozmaniac said:

Im currently on the 485 Visa and its about to expire, hence why I am looking for the PR pathway. I understand the challenges at the moment, but its my best shot and I believe based on the criteria for the skills assessment and work experience, I may get a positive skills assessment.