Gough Whitlam dies

Harpodom

I caught some of the eulogies in Parliament LIVE ON SKY. The Govt side seemed sincere enough. Yes he did some good things but he was just a man not a saint and if he had been REALLY popular he would have won back govt.

Best you do some research.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught some of the eulogies in Parliament LIVE ON SKY. The Govt side seemed sincere enough. Yes he did some good things but he was just a man not a saint and if he had been REALLY popular he would have won back govt.

Just for you Dave (and Parleycross) our resident "rightists"......some of the things Gough achieved.........what has your beloved Abbott-Credlin Govt. done except f##k us over

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/what-did-gough-whitlam-actually-do-rather-a-lot-20141021-11977w.html

Few visionaries made anymore. He certainly took Australia into an enlightened phase from the deep rooted Menzies conservative era, but even that was better in most respects than what the present lot would kike to impose on us.

Yes, what absolute idiots Australians were to continue voting Menzies, and his successors into power, and why did it take them twenty years and more to realize their mistake.

Yes, what absolute idiots Australians were to continue voting Menzies, and his successors into power, and why did it take them twenty years and more to realize their mistake.

Why do you think? Says a lot about the mentality of the time. Saying that Menzies stood by the little people unlike the shower of Tories these days that darken the term Liberal Party,

I caught some of the eulogies in Parliament LIVE ON SKY. The Govt side seemed sincere enough.

Yes, I only heard Abbott's, but that seemed sincere to me.

I was reading some comments online about Whitlam, and the overwhelming view seems to be that Australia in 2014 has lost its way compared to earlier times. Not just politically but in terms of vision and ambition: now everyone's quest seems only to accrue as many trinkets, possessions and negatively-geared properties as possible, and to hell with fellow citizens and the country generally - with the whole sorry saga wrapped in a bogus sense of 'patriotism'.

A couple of things in the news today.

Demolition on the house in Kew, Melbourne where Gough was born on the kitchen table started today. It was bought by a foreign buyer (Chinese). I always thought foreigners are only allowed to buy new-builds but apparently they can buy established homes as long as they knock it down and build a new one.

It probably wouldn't worry Gough - he was the first western leader to visit communist China and recognise the government. I was reminded of the anecdote of the meeting between Gough and Mao Zedong. Gough asked Mao "what do you think would have happened if Khrushchev had been assassinated and not Kennedy". Mao replied "well for one thing Onassis would not have married Mrs Khrushchev".

Another thing I heard today was an ex-CIA man talking about the CIA involvement in the dismissal. Christopher Boyce was a low-rank 23 year old working for the CIA. He says he had heard GG John Kerr described as "our man". Apparently the CIA was worried that Gough was a communist sympathizer and that he would close down their spy base at Pine Gap.

A couple of things in the news today.

Demolition on the house in Kew, Melbourne where Gough was born on the kitchen table started today. It was bought by a foreign buyer (Chinese). I always thought foreigners are only allowed to buy new-builds but apparently they can buy established homes as long as they knock it down and build a new one.

It probably wouldn't worry Gough - he was the first western leader to visit communist China and recognise the government. I was reminded of the anecdote of the meeting between Gough and Mao Zedong. Gough asked Mao "what do you think would have happened if Khrushchev had been assassinated and not Kennedy". Mao replied "well for one thing Onassis would not have married Mrs Khrushchev".

Another thing I heard today was an ex-CIA man talking about the CIA involvement in the dismissal. Christopher Boyce was a low-rank 23 year old working for the CIA. He says he had heard GG John Kerr described as "our man". Apparently the CIA was worried that Gough was a communist sympathizer and that he would close down their spy base at Pine Gap.

yes, it has been touted in the past about CIA involvement and Sir John Cur's role.......there was a movie starring Sean Penn about the CIA and their involvement was mentioned in that (can't remember the name of it though). The Falcon and The Snowman.......remembered it

Edited by Sir Les Patterson
Addition