Coolfool

Hello, I've just joined this site like 2 mins ago so plz be nice :)

Ive got an admit from Monash Uni for Masters in Business (My intended major is Project Management).

I intend to stay back in Australia and hence need a PR.

Part 1:

The likely outcomes from my major dont seem to be on the SOL (There's one called construction project manager,but i dont see myself into construction).

Does this mean I wont be eligible for a PR? Is it absolutely necessary to have an occupation on the SOL?

Part 2:

IF i dont choose Project Management,the other majors that I'm open to are

Is any of these likely to get me an occupation from the SOL?

I'm from India and intending for the Feb 2015 intake. Also, I've seen certain occupations that i may be eligible for on the CSOL.

But these seem to have no mention on the Victorian govt's SOL..!!

Am i eligible for CSOL in the first place?

Secondly,what if my nominated occupation isnt on the govt's site?

Plz help. I'm investing a hefty sum here. Wanna make an informed decision.

Cheers..!!

Hello guys. I'm new here so I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Plz be nice :)

I'm going for a Masters in Business from Monash Uni.

The likely career outcomes,as stated by the uni are " Career opportunities include banking, management, insurance, marketing, market research, consultancy international banking and finance, and accounting."

So how can i know what my nominated occupation is gonna be? Can i know it only after I get a job?

Can someone plz explain this process of "NOMINATING AN OCCUPATION" from the SOL ??

Really need help..!!

Cheers...!!!

Now, the main problem you would have, even if you found an occupation on the sol that you fit into, is that rules change all the time.

I studied something which you could get pr from at the end. Literally three days from my being eligible to apply the rules changed which added on an extra three years to the time it took me to get pr, and very nearly stopped me altogether. Many people ended up not being able to stay and having to leave.

Currently you need a job either on the sol or the csol with a state sponsor. Or you need to find an employer willing to sponsor you. There are many issues here too though. For example, passing the skills assessment. Most jobs need you to have a few years of experience after your course to pass. The 485 visa gives you an extra 18 months, but only if your job is on the sol. Some employer sponsored visas need you to have two years post qualification experience.

If I were you I wouldn't consider pr at the end of your course an option. If you still want to come, do so, enjoy your course, and a few months from the end contact a good MARA agent and see IF there are any avenues open to you at that time.

First of all thank you for a prompt reply.

So should I consider changing my course? Maybe go to a safer one? With an outcome thats likely to be on the SOL?

Also, the visa I'd be getting after my studies is just a 2 year work visa. How can I even begin to fulfill the criteria of 2 years of experience? ;(

You might be wiser to study elsewhere and then get your experience and then seeing if you have the skills required to move over otherwise you could face the very real possibility of graduating then having to leave.

Yep, this is what I'd do.

What visa are you planning on for the two years afterwards. This is what I am saying. There maybe no visa you can go to when your course finishes. The visa you are thinking of might also need a skills assessment by then (there has been talk of it for all work sponsored visas for a while, nobody knows if it will happen).

If your only reason for studying here is to get a visa I'd give up on your plan and study something in your home country.

I agree with what others have said about the probability of gaining a PR after graduating from an Australian university as being a low - it used to be much easier a few years ago.

I do not think you planned study gives you a great deal of hope even with a couple of years experience but from the options you mention IT is probably the 'safest' bet, although I think it would need to be an IT degree rather than a Business Masters.

Is it an MBA? I certainly don't think you would gain sufficient IT skill for one of the current SOL occupations on an MBA because the focus is on managing IT not technical skills. There is no short cut to a PR visa, Australia only wants skilled migrants and experience is more important than qualifications.

PLEASE think very carefully, I met far, far too many IT graduates from India driving taxis absolutely desperate to get skilled work in Australia - they had a PR visa but not sufficient experience to find it easy to gain employment.