.........skipchen......!

Guest241083

........innovated ....?

........or a step too far.....?

.......http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/08/bristol-restaurant-skipchen-ingredients-binned-supermarkets

.......The menu was certainly eclectic, ranging from Orkney crab and king prawn salad to spicy baked beans on toast. There was a bread and butter pudding for desert – or a lighter fruit smoothie.

“But tomorrow it will be all change again,” said chef Dylan Rakhra. “We get different foods in every day, loads of stuff – bagels, lobster, lettuce.

“It’s really fun. You look at what you’ve got, you make up meals and serve them. People seem to be loving it.”

The name of the restaurant – Skipchen – gives the game away. Rakhra and his fellow volunteers do not order in their supplies. Some of the food is donated but most is found: on farmland, outside mainstream restaurants and, most commonly, in supermarket skips.

I think its a good idea,i feel a bit guilty wasting food,if i think about how many die from lack of it,i doubt i'd eat there tho if i'm honest

Would it take much for the supermarkets to offer the food to homeless shelters etc btw?

With a disclaimer, if they felt it would cover them over any issues of suing on the off chance of someone being ill

It does seem a massive waste and a shame to see food wasted, by the hundreds of tonnes i suppose,surely it could be put to better use than being skipped

Some people have been skipping it for years to survive. No harm in it. I would rather see it used than just wasted. Regarding cafes or restaurants using it, I am fine with that as long as the food is prepared correctly. At times you never know where the food you are eating in caffs and restaurants has come from. Many years ago, went out with new BIL for a meal. He was a chef, and at the end of the meal he had some peas left on his plate. He mashed them up, and sprinkled loads of pepper and salt on them. When I asked him why, he said that many places would reuse the peas etc so he was making surer that they would not be served up to someone else. Agree with Pabs, that the stuff could, and should be donated to homeless shelters, soup kitchens etc.

I think it's a good idea, but when you consider how many supermarkets now have their "skips" behind barbed wire (I have looked in to this whole freegan thing) I think it must be quite hard to get a decent quantity of food.

On that note, did you know that if you go and lurk outside your closest Greggs the Bakers, when the truck comes to deliver the next day's food and take that day's cast offs, if you ask the driver nicely, apparently he will let you take as much as you can carry (I haven't tried this but I know people who live by Greggs pasties and pies).