Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest junan70
We have been here 2mths now and came over with 15k. We left the rest in a uk acct as the rate was too low. All that money has gone

now but we did buy a car and pay 3mths rent upfront and the bond which was almost 4k. We are finding that we can live off hubby's wage here and mine is all for extras. We are way better off here as have a bigger house, better lifestyle and more relaxed jobs. Best move we made but everyone is different. We are waiting for the xchange rate to go up before changing rest of our money but that will be for a deposit on a house but not going to do that until the first time buyers grant increases again.

I'm chuffed for you, honestly...but seems like you had a job to come to, or found one quickly. If you can't (and there's certainly a lot of us in Adelaide) then it aint cheap. I don't regret being here for ONE second, but I wish I had a better handle on the job situation (in Adelaide at least) before I arrived.

Luckily, there's enough good 'free' stuff happening here, including gorgeous beaches, great parks, well stocked libraries etc.....to keep people's spirits up....:cute:

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hearne_Family
We have been here 2mths now and came over with 15k. We left the rest in a uk acct as the rate was too low. All that money has gone

now but we did buy a car and pay 3mths rent upfront and the bond which was almost 4k. We are finding that we can live off hubby's wage here and mine is all for extras. We are way better off here as have a bigger house, better lifestyle and more relaxed jobs. Best move we made but everyone is different. We are waiting for the xchange rate to go up before changing rest of our money but that will be for a deposit on a house but not going to do that until the first time buyers grant increases again.

Ahem...and great friends??!! lol

Guest Hearne_Family
At last posts from reality you need money & lots of it. Oz is not never never land & Peter pan is not real.

Its all dependent on your situation, there are people who have posted here saying they have come over with £10k or less and its worked out for them, surely they are posts from reality?

Its all dependent on your situation, there are people who have posted here saying they have come over with £10k or less and its worked out for them, surely they are posts from reality?

So you beleive every post you read most are true but there are the ones which are not.

Hi how much is the first time buyers grant to date, when will it increase, and is that for all states.

proview

Guest Hearne_Family
So you beleive every post you read most are true but there are the ones which are not.

I never said that I believe every post, I was just stating that people have come over here with £10k or less and it has worked out, as I said it all depends on the situation, for some it works and for others it doesnt.

So are you trying to say that some who say they made it are lying??

Guest guest17301

Why would people lie...I don't- we came with next to nothing, I had a reasonably well paid job to go to and we are doing just fine. Not loaded but hey who is..money is not important, it's how happy you are, enough to pay the bills and rent/mortgage plus a bit extra for emergencies is all anyone needs IMO.

I have still bought a slickpiks for tonight though....:wink:

I never said that I believe every post, I was just stating that people have come over here with £10k or less and it has worked out, as I said it all depends on the situation, for some it works and for others it doesnt.

So are you trying to say that some who say they made it are lying??

no not lying but a little creative with the key board.

Guest guest17301

LOL Kirk why are you so cynical?? Lighten up hun, it's is actually 'that simple' for some. Are you actually in Australia yet? Even if you're not don't judge others lifestyles, its so unattractive:cute:

LOL Kirk why are you so cynical?? Lighten up hun, it's is actually 'that simple' for some. Are you actually in Australia yet? Even if you're not don't judge others lifestyles, its so unattractive:cute:

Today cynical & tomorrow creative the next day back to normal plus a make over to make me attractive lol. Moving over this august.

Guest guest17301

Well I hope you've got plenty of money..you DO know how expensive it is out here don't you?, bring less than $10k and you are automatically doomed to failure:yes:

Guest Hearne_Family

Well I can assure you that when I say I got here with $10k I am not being 'creative with the keyboard', there are some people who can get by and make a new life without a shed load of money, some are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up...we are not telling lies we are just stating that it can be done. Granted some people cant do it and want all the comforts of their UK life, however some of us move here for the better lifestyle and possessions are not really that important, I drive a $2000 Falcon, its a sh!t heap but it gets us from A to B and keeps us dry, what else do we need?

If people can do it dont post negative comments, accept that for some it can be done. Dont make out that people are telling fibs, you dont know if they are telling the truth or not but its not down to you to pubically denounce our posts.

Terry

Well I can assure you that when I say I got here with $10k I am not being 'creative with the keyboard', there are some people who can get by and make a new life without a shed load of money, some are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up...we are not telling lies we are just stating that it can be done. Granted some people cant do it and want all the comforts of their UK life, however some of us move here for the better lifestyle and possessions are not really that important, I drive a $2000 Falcon, its a sh!t heap but it gets us from A to B and keeps us dry, what else do we need?

If people can do it dont post negative comments, accept that for some it can be done. Dont make out that people are telling fibs, you dont know if they are telling the truth or not but its not down to you to pubically denounce our posts.

Terry

Lighten up chill out & all the best.

Lighten up chill out & all the best.

Come on kirk,isnt it better/a little ray of hope for people that HAVNT got a lot of money,that people who ALSO had little money have made it in oz?

Granted it would be great if we were all loaded,but were not!but people still make a life.

Ive got to be honest here,i totally admire lady muck(fiona!:biggrin:)because she took her family over there with buttons,she's like me,DEAD honest,doesnt pretend she's something she's not,does,nt come on here saying she's rich/got degrees and all the usual crap that people spout on here(that cant be checked btw),she IS what you see,and ok she had a job to go to,probably allways WILL have a job to go to,BUT she's made a new life for her and her family with very little money,and THATS WHY i will ALLWAYS wish her all the best,because she's honest,what yer see is what yer get,like me,no BS.I DONT kiss anyones arse but she and her family have done amazingly well,as have others who have made it without thousands of pounds behind them,and i for one think she should be admired,even if she is after a cleaner!!long time fi!:hug:An yer know i mean that!!

Come on kirk,isnt it better/a little ray of hope for people that HAVNT got a lot of money,that people who ALSO had little money have made it in oz?

Granted it would be great if we were all loaded,but were not!but people still make a life.

Ive got to be honest here,i totally admire lady muck(fiona!:biggrin:)because she took her family over there with buttons,she's like me,DEAD honest,doesnt pretend she's something she's not,does,nt come on here saying she's rich/got degrees and all the usual crap that people spout on here(that cant be checked btw),she IS what you see,and ok she had a job to go to,probably allways WILL have a job to go to,BUT she's made a new life for her and her family with very little money,and THATS WHY i will ALLWAYS wish her all the best,because she's honest,what yer see is what yer get,like me,no BS.I DONT kiss anyones arse but she and her family have done amazingly well,as have others who have made it without thousands of pounds behind them,and i for one think she should be admired,even if she is after a cleaner!!long time fi!:hug:An yer know i mean that!!

It is that I dont like the posts from the suspect ones who say go for it your be fine we did it with just a suitecase & i know some have. I would like to see all make it.

Guest Guest9973

I see the usual slanging match is on :laugh:

In the Adelaide site forum there is a similar discussion .some of those forum members had come out with around $10K and thrived.

A lot of it is about attitude when you get here :notworthy:

It is that I dont like the posts from the suspect ones who say go for it your be fine we did it with just a suitecase & i know some have. I would like to see all make it.

Kirk,im not being funny,BUT everyone would like to move over with loads of money,thats stating the obvious i know.

BUT i dont think we should doubt/dismiss the people who HAVE made it on a limited budget,maybe they are just braver than me and you?

Guest Hearne_Family
I see the usual slanging match is on :laugh:

In the Adelaide site forum there is a similar discussion .some of those forum members had come out with around $10K and thrived.

A lot of it is about attitude when you get here :notworthy:

Bingo! You have hit the nail square on the head there!

Guest Guest12551

there have been numerous posts and enquiries on this subject... to let you guys understand...we had a simple plan

a=sell house

b=live with parents for 3 months accquiruing some finances

c-organise removers

d=organise dog to come over

d=hubby to go to oz first and stay with friends whilst getting a job

e=sort out all paperwork...tfn, medicare card,bank account,schools etc

f=get a car

g-and anything else we had missed

heres where it gets interesting.. we anticipated we would get a reasonable price

on our house... we knew profit would be very very very slim!!!!

I WAS RIGHT...by the time we had paid lawyers,loan and house off...taking into acount

the drop in the house prices we lost £40k... made £7.5k in total!!!

but by the time we moved into parents house w realized that 2 kids and a dog did

not a stress free home make...so our 3 months of savings turned into 5 weeks for me

(thanx dad xxx) and 7 weeks for the wife... so no real savings there then.. especially

as it was xmass and new year...

then we find that the£=$ fight was being lost by the pound...juist our luck.. so instead of the/$2.2 to the pound its now $1.72..eeek

the containers guys where great though.. white and co.. partial container.. £1875...inc vat... but not the insurance... so now theres another £450 ontop ..ah well

then the dog transportation bill shot up as we lived in scotland so totals on that are

around £2.2k

then the flights cost the same one way in january as return in may/jun

yup...our luck again... summer hols over here so all flights are expensive

and to finish off... i used to top £45k in scotland.3yrs ago..including a serious amount of overtime, weekend work and holiday working... but it paid our bills...

so over the past 18months ive dropped to £26k and not one plan went right... nothing,,,i landed with $7k.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luckily im staying with friends for what appears to be free, barring the exceptionally high beer buying im doing..lol

ive got 3k in the bank

bought a car for $1.5k.. needs about $1k spent on it..cars are expensive,,very... some spare parts are horrendously so....$35.99 for a wiper blade on a mitsubishi ,,,,bought a refill for $8.00.. bargain i thought...lol

so if it hadnt off been for friends helping us by staying and the family helping we would be screwed....

ive been offered 4 jobs though,,,(takes them ages in getting back to u)

bought a mobile phone.. no contract pay as u go for $1.00..one dollar...put $29 on

credit and got $165 on the phone... free to chat also to any other on same network..(CRAZY JOHNS) so as u know..

you cant get any credit when u arrive till u have a job..(need car for work, cant afford car.. catch 22 i think)

you cant rent a house if you havent aquired the points. .deposit, job,references etc...

deposit is usually 4 weeks rent roughly.. amd 2 more weeks up front..even then the renters decide who moves ... so its not plain sailing

then u cant get a drivers licence cos u got no medicare card(2 weeks for arrival)

you cant get a tax file number...again 2 weeks waiting on it comming through.

unless u are depositing a large some of money or have a job then u cant get a half decent bank account... just the very very very basic one...again 2 weeks for card,,,

luckily for us though... we are staying friends house who have 2 spare rooms and plenty of room for us.. they have been fantastic, showing us around and

helping with driving, cars.forms etc..

so a hell of a stressfull time, plenty of hassle and sweat,, but, i see it this way.. i didnt see my kids due to working so hard, my wife had a part time job too, same crap every day.. i was doing more work for less money.. loved the job but at that rate it was going end up id be on the street in a year or so..

so landed here skint, a bit of luck has ment i have a job offer for something ive allways wanted to do and its 7-5 mon-fri same money as in uk.. but plenty of bunus...

wife is looking for a job too...

money will be very very tight for a few months,,,as we say "IT IS WHAT IT IS"

you cant allways change it so go with the flow...it always sorts itself out...and if its going wrong.. change... job...lifestyle.. whatever...

so im never going to have the holden ss or f150 etc... but i couldnt afford anything like it in the uk so why expect it here?

i had a small 3 bed semi in uk.... so if i can get something maybe detatched im going to be happy..

i wasnt an exotic eater in the uk... so why expect stakes every night.. it just wont happen...

live within your meens.. ive learnt my leason now...

so is $10k enough to arrive with.????? YES BUT ONLY....IF ,YOU HAVE GOOD FRIENDS LIKE OURS ,HAVE A BIT OF LUCK AND SET YOUR SIGHTS A BIT LOWER THAN THAT WANTED DOWN UNDER PROGRAME......OTHER THAN THAT WHAT DO YOU WANNA BE.....SKINT IN THE UK... OR SKINT HERE BUT HAPPY???? THINK ABOUT IT,,

this may or may not help, but im glad to of said it and clear some things up.......PS

LOTTERY IS ON TOMMOROW!!!!! lol :yes:

Guest nevergiveup

Hi

your an absolute inspiratian to all us moaning sods especially me,

good luck and all the very best .

keep us posted on how you progress

cheers

ps you willll win the lottery this week !!!

there have been numerous posts and enquiries on this subject... to let you guys understand...we had a simple plan

a=sell house

b=live with parents for 3 months accquiruing some finances

c-organise removers

d=organise dog to come over

d=hubby to go to oz first and stay with friends whilst getting a job

e=sort out all paperwork...tfn, medicare card,bank account,schools etc

f=get a car

g-and anything else we had missed

heres where it gets interesting.. we anticipated we would get a reasonable price

on our house... we knew profit would be very very very slim!!!!

I WAS RIGHT...by the time we had paid lawyers,loan and house off...taking into acount

the drop in the house prices we lost £40k... made £7.5k in total!!!

but by the time we moved into parents house w realized that 2 kids and a dog did

not a stress free home make...so our 3 months of savings turned into 5 weeks for me

(thanx dad xxx) and 7 weeks for the wife... so no real savings there then.. especially

as it was xmass and new year...

then we find that the£=$ fight was being lost by the pound...juist our luck.. so instead of the/$2.2 to the pound its now $1.72..eeek

the containers guys where great though.. white and co.. partial container.. £1875...inc vat... but not the insurance... so now theres another £450 ontop ..ah well

then the dog transportation bill shot up as we lived in scotland so totals on that are

around £2.2k

then the flights cost the same one way in january as return in may/jun

yup...our luck again... summer hols over here so all flights are expensive

and to finish off... i used to top £45k in scotland.3yrs ago..including a serious amount of overtime, weekend work and holiday working... but it paid our bills...

so over the past 18months ive dropped to £26k and not one plan went right... nothing,,,i landed with $7k.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luckily im staying with friends for what appears to be free, barring the exceptionally high beer buying im doing..lol

ive got 3k in the bank

bought a car for $1.5k.. needs about $1k spent on it..cars are expensive,,very... some spare parts are horrendously so....$35.99 for a wiper blade on a mitsubishi ,,,,bought a refill for $8.00.. bargain i thought...lol

so if it hadnt off been for friends helping us by staying and the family helping we would be screwed....

ive been offered 4 jobs though,,,(takes them ages in getting back to u)

bought a mobile phone.. no contract pay as u go for $1.00..one dollar...put $29 on

credit and got $165 on the phone... free to chat also to any other on same network..(CRAZY JOHNS) so as u know..

you cant get any credit when u arrive till u have a job..(need car for work, cant afford car.. catch 22 i think)

you cant rent a house if you havent aquired the points. .deposit, job,references etc...

deposit is usually 4 weeks rent roughly.. amd 2 more weeks up front..even then the renters decide who moves ... so its not plain sailing

then u cant get a drivers licence cos u got no medicare card(2 weeks for arrival)

you cant get a tax file number...again 2 weeks waiting on it comming through.

unless u are depositing a large some of money or have a job then u cant get a half decent bank account... just the very very very basic one...again 2 weeks for card,,,

luckily for us though... we are staying friends house who have 2 spare rooms and plenty of room for us.. they have been fantastic, showing us around and

helping with driving, cars.forms etc..

so a hell of a stressfull time, plenty of hassle and sweat,, but, i see it this way.. i didnt see my kids due to working so hard, my wife had a part time job too, same crap every day.. i was doing more work for less money.. loved the job but at that rate it was going end up id be on the street in a year or so..

so landed here skint, a bit of luck has ment i have a job offer for something ive allways wanted to do and its 7-5 mon-fri same money as in uk.. but plenty of bunus...

wife is looking for a job too...

money will be very very tight for a few months,,,as we say "IT IS WHAT IT IS"

you cant allways change it so go with the flow...it always sorts itself out...and if its going wrong.. change... job...lifestyle.. whatever...

so im never going to have the holden ss or f150 etc... but i couldnt afford anything like it in the uk so why expect it here?

i had a small 3 bed semi in uk.... so if i can get something maybe detatched im going to be happy..

i wasnt an exotic eater in the uk... so why expect stakes every night.. it just wont happen...

live within your meens.. ive learnt my leason now...

so is $10k enough to arrive with.????? YES BUT ONLY....IF ,YOU HAVE GOOD FRIENDS LIKE OURS ,HAVE A BIT OF LUCK AND SET YOUR SIGHTS A BIT LOWER THAN THAT WANTED DOWN UNDER PROGRAME......OTHER THAN THAT WHAT DO YOU WANNA BE.....SKINT IN THE UK... OR SKINT HERE BUT HAPPY???? THINK ABOUT IT,,

this may or may not help, but im glad to of said it and clear some things up.......PS

LOTTERY IS ON TOMMOROW!!!!! lol :yes:

I think you are potty for doing it on a small budget lol but if you can energy type all that your bound to make it good luck.

Guest Guest12551

yeah kirk and co we are potty...!!!!..lol... if you think about it... it does not add up in the real world... but hey,, if we didnt try , we woildnt know... but having some fantastic friends to help us,, we will be ok...thankfully our luck is changing, good job on offer now, and stuffs going well... i wouldnt advise anyone else to do what we are doing.... but as i say, id rather be skint over here than in scotland...to try and entertain yourself in scotland in crappy weather can be done.. didnt suit our lifestyle , but could be done.. but not cheaply... at least in oz... the weathers been good ..so far to allow us free entertainment... just check out the brisbane south bank australia day free stuff!!!.....didnt get much of that in scotland...

grass is greener on the other side of the fence.... and im on a kinda honeymoon just now... so im giving it time....

have a good weekend guys .. the gallachers:hug:

now living in halpine lakes, mango hill,

Archived