Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest Vim Fuego

I arrived with $60,000 of credit card debt to my name ... my best advice would be not to spend money on stuff you don't need in the first place.

Took a year to pay it back, not fun, a situation not to be revisited.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Can you still do it once you're here in Aus Kev?

Yes, but a covering letter before someone leaves tends to add a sense of urgency. We got ours back 10 days after claiming.

kev

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zimbabwean

I came to england in 2006 with just my suitcase and £180 in my pocket. Now im hoping to get to oz with about £10k too and from the experience of coming to england, i think all will be fine. You just have to work hard and be determined.

Guest stockies

Hi we came with £ 8.000 but we had a job to go to so I think that makes a difference. We have been careful on what we have spent our money, its not Ideal but we managed ok.

Keily, you're right..We'll need a car so we'll be applying for a car through NOVATED lease..We'll also be applying for LAFHA, though this is still in negotiation...It's definitely looking like, at best, around 1 and 1/2 k (£) at the mo....

We are just three people, my OH and a 9 year old girl (big Mylie Cyrus fan!!. Hopefully, we'll be alright.

We have a property in uk but won't be selling as we are giving OZ a two year run before deciding to emigrate for good!!

Oh God, I am scared now!

But hey, if it works out, it'd be good and if it doesn't so what? we'll put it down to experience...

Any other Brit who's going with almost ZILCH wonga???

Hiya,

My OH has an interview for a job in Sept and hope to move on a 457 visa, we live in private rented accom at the mo which is £1000 p/m so there's no house to sell and make ££££'s on and we don 't earn a great deal so I can see us moving there with almost nothing !!!

I wont know how much we will take til a week before probably..lol but I know that it will be worth every tiny PENNY and i'll make it be enough !!

Lynne xx

Guest shawgorbys

thats great news just go and give it a go if you dont like at least you have treid it and you can come back take care an dgood luck andrea&family

Guest Django
I wont know how much we will take til a week before probably..lol but I know that it will be worth every tiny PENNY and i'll make it be enough !!

We didn't know how much money we were taking with us until we sold the car for £4,500 the day before we flew out. Before that we had nothing. It was a bit of a worry as we have 4 children in tow. 9 months in and the gamble paid off. We are now moneywise better off than we have ever been. Who dares wins.:wink:

Guest tigers08
We didn't know how much money we were taking with us until we sold the car for £4,500 the day before we flew out. Before that we had nothing. It was a bit of a worry as we have 4 children in tow. 9 months in and the gamble paid off. We are now moneywise better off than we have ever been. Who dares wins.:wink:

hiya nice to know it can be done on a little bit of money, we are a family of 4 and with hardly any equity now we are going to be going this sept on perm visas but only couple of grand, my wife works in retail and im a bricky, fingers crossed we be ok

Hi all, I dont want to add anything negative to this thread but just want to offer some knowledge as we are here. I know a family that came out here 5 weeks ago they had $20000 paid for their flights, bought a car, put down a deposit for a rental, bought some essential things they needed until their container arrived, paid for their container clearance and are now down to their last $1000. He is an electrician and cant get any work and she has also been trying to find work until he finds something and cant gat anything. They have had to borrow some money from his family to try and get through next few weeks be what will they do after that??? They dont even have the money to fly back. They have 2 small children and I feel for them so much. Also a friend who has been here for nearly two years and a carpenter never been without work has had nothing for the last 7 weeks. We are on the Gold Coast and lots of developments have been delayed or suspended. Please think carefully if you dont have a job to come too. We came with very little money nearly 2 years ago but my husband had a job to come to as we were sponsored, then there was more work than people, at the moment jobs are not so easy to come by. Another girl I know advertised for a receptionist job and got 400 applications and another guy who was looking for a machine fitter had over 100 applications and lots of them were over qualified for the job.

We are very happy here and would say to anyone go for it but just wanted to make people aware its not easy going here either at the moment and my heart goes out to the family we have met and wanted to tell other people so they dont end up in the same situation.

Good Luck

Em x

Hi all, I dont want to add anything negative to this thread but just want to offer some knowledge as we are here. I know a family that came out here 5 weeks ago they had $20000 paid for their flights, bought a car, put down a deposit for a rental, bought some essential things they needed until their container arrived, paid for their container clearance and are now down to their last $1000. He is an electrician and cant get any work and she has also been trying to find work until he finds something and cant gat anything. They have had to borrow some money from his family to try and get through next few weeks be what will they do after that??? They dont even have the money to fly back. They have 2 small children and I feel for them so much. Also a friend who has been here for nearly two years and a carpenter never been without work has had nothing for the last 7 weeks. We are on the Gold Coast and lots of developments have been delayed or suspended. Please think carefully if you dont have a job to come too. We came with very little money nearly 2 years ago but my husband had a job to come to as we were sponsored, then there was more work than people, at the moment jobs are not so easy to come by. Another girl I know advertised for a receptionist job and got 400 applications and another guy who was looking for a machine fitter had over 100 applications and lots of them were over qualified for the job.

We are very happy here and would say to anyone go for it but just wanted to make people aware its not easy going here either at the moment and my heart goes out to the family we have met and wanted to tell other people so they dont end up in the same situation.

Good Luck

Em x

Please take note of this excellent post.

Guest tigers08

i guess it depends on where you are in oz at moment too, my family live in adelaide and my cousin is a site manager for a local firm ,he has given me some good contacts, one local builder has school halls to build at every school in adelaide, around adelaide there is lots of building work going on in the north and the south of the city at the moment. my aunts/uncles cousins say they will help out as soon as we land with a place to stay untill we get the money coming in regular and find a rental or mortgaged house. so my couple of grand would prob be ok, think if you dont know anyone over there house and work wise it could be more difficult.

Guest shawgorbys

H I EM&M thanks for the great post we are just working our finances out to come to perth with a clean slate gary my hubby has a job to go to and i think by the time we have paid for flights and container we will be coming with about £20,000 but we dont want to come over there and be worse off than here do you think we will be ok we are both bargain hunters as well take care andrea&family

i guess it depends on where you are in oz at moment too, my family live in adelaide and my cousin is a site manager for a local firm ,he has given me some good contacts, one local builder has school halls to build at every school in adelaide, around adelaide there is lots of building work going on in the north and the south of the city at the moment. my aunts/uncles cousins say they will help out as soon as we land with a place to stay untill we get the money coming in regular and find a rental or mortgaged house. so my couple of grand would prob be ok, think if you dont know anyone over there house and work wise it could be more difficult.

Hi Phil, it does make a big difference a. when you have family here to support you emotionally as well as anything else and b. you are going to a regional area. Thats why I mentioned where we are because here on the Gold Coast it is very populated and people are struggling. I am glad you have someone to come to, my hubby has family here and I have found that a big source of comfort when we've been through tough periods.

This is the best move we ever made for us and our two little girls they were 3 & 10mths when we came out and are both thriving here. Good Luck to you and your family.

Em x

Our son got married in April last year and moved to Loganholm between Brisbane and the Goldcoast. They had about £10,000 left after the wedding, they both did not have any jobs to go to, but they both found work within 4 weeks. They have rented for 12 months and this weekend they got the keys to their first own home together, nice detacted 3 bed 'low rise' which we look forward to seeing in August. They also run 2 nice cars, all of which even with UK house price falls they would not have if they had of stayed here. One more year and we hope to apply to join them as contributory parents.

Guest guest30038
Our son got married in April last year and moved to Loganholm between Brisbane and the Goldcoast. They had about £10,000 left after the wedding, they both did not have any jobs to go to, but they both found work within 4 weeks. They have rented for 12 months and this weekend they got the keys to their first own home together, nice detacted 3 bed 'low rise' which we look forward to seeing in August. They also run 2 nice cars, all of which even with UK house price falls they would not have if they had of stayed here. One more year and we hope to apply to join them as contributory parents.

Logvely to hear of someone "going for it" and from the sound of it, "making it". Great to hear, and what a way to embark on a marriage........good on 'em.

kev

Same here qwe came with less than 10 k Feb 2008 , oh sponsored , strugggled to get a job( old gIT) But wot a difference a year makes globally , folks comin now on the same playin field are and will find it difficult if impossible to come with little capital and no employment

Guest hazeotoole

Well if we sell our house we will have about 100,000 dollars if not then we will be lucky to have about 10,000 euro although we can stay with family while we try to get set up, we have nothing really left to sell our car died last month so been driving my mother in laws car she lent it to us until we leave, even 10k is probably a bit ambitious as hubbie is public sector and has been screwed for money and I am unemployed and they are dropping my dole in August from 204.00 a week to 40 and there is no work for me where we are nightmare grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am just hoping we do sell but if we dont we will struggle by on whatever we have buy a banger of a car and that will do until we get jobs and stuff, at least there is more work there than there is here cant wait to go back to work!!!

A little story: Times were hard for a while in northern NSW and I applied for a job in WA, my family was in a 1 bedroom flat while I went to Sydney for an interview. Interviewer-"I can give you work here for a month before the WA job comes up because no one is prepared to move." He went on to say that he advertised a job for 3 months' duration, 40 applicants; no one turned up as the job was an hour's drive away!!

So, be prepared to go looking for work, even if it means leaving your family for a period of time.

My job in WA lasted 6 months and it lead to greater jobs for the next 2 years.

How much did I come over to Australia with??? 134 quid; about 10 weeks wages. But that was in 1963 as a ten-pound-pom.

Cheers, Bobj.

Well if we sell our house we will have about 100,000 dollars if not then we will be lucky to have about 10,000 euro although we can stay with family while we try to get set up, we have nothing really left to sell our car died last month so been driving my mother in laws car she lent it to us until we leave, even 10k is probably a bit ambitious as hubbie is public sector and has been screwed for money and I am unemployed and they are dropping my dole in August from 204.00 a week to 40 and there is no work for me where we are nightmare grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am just hoping we do sell but if we dont we will struggle by on whatever we have buy a banger of a car and that will do until we get jobs and stuff, at least there is more work there than there is here cant wait to go back to work!!!

Theres more work there than there is here ??? I think you should read a few more threads.

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Irelands unemployment rate 11.5% approx

Australia - 5.7 % approx

I'm guessing there's more jobs than in ireland, this place is Bankrupt.

Guest guest30038
Irelands unemployment rate 11.5% approx

Australia - 5.7 % approx

I'm guessing there's more jobs than in ireland, this place is Bankrupt.

True, but if you're one of those 5.7% and a new migrant with no access to the dole.....??????

kev

Guest Taytoconnorrs
True, but if you're one of those 5.7% and a new migrant with no access to the dole.....??????

kev

........it's essential to come with plenty of money! I'm fortunate because I can stay with the mother in law til we get on out feet. But it does seem that many people are arriving in oz with very little money and hoping for the best.

........it's essential to come with plenty of money! I'm fortunate because I can stay with the mother in law til we get on out feet. But it does seem that many people are arriving in oz with very little money and hoping for the best.

WE came with not alot but oh had a job to go to (nurse) which made it easier I got work eventuallly ,but the job situ is worse now , youll find some who have posted have a house to flog so not literally comin with less than 10 gs , still got a big cushion to land on if they go on their arse

Guest angelaandmick

We came over with $22k in November. Had to pay 6 months rent in advance as we were competing for property with 2 other people. Rent is $300per week.Unfurnished. By the time we bought everything had about 1/2 left. I bought a 98 Ford Focus for $4k and mick brought his Jeep as he couldn't sell it, Customs and everyone who cud took another slice. Mick was let go as a Carpenter about 6wks ago and Recession has hit in Brisbane, (Heard Melborne has work). Living here with no savings left, 1 person working part-time and 2 toddlers..... Weathers gr8 tho....

My only tip would be get your hands on as much sterling as possible as the money here is harder to chase.

When you do get over use the Salvo's / Vinnies or classifieds to get basic furnishings or just shop clever. Always bargain coz at the end of the day everyone wants your money and discounts are easy enough to get especially on cars and furniture.

Don't be fooled into thinking that Jobs are a plenty.

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Thanks Angela. Sorry to hear about your husband, I hope things work out for you guys. You seem pretty positive, which is always a head start. Between myself and my wife we hope to have about $40k and stay with here mum til we can sort out work. I'm coming over with my eyes open and this site is excellent for such purposes. It seems like trades are hit the hardest in hard times.

Archived