Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

WOW, it's really inspiring reading how little people have come with and made it work for them. I don't know that I would have been brave enough to make a new start on so little. I really admire you for it.

Rudi

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tigers08
WOW, it's really inspiring reading how little people have come with and made it work for them. I don't know that I would have been brave enough to make a new start on so little. I really admire you for it.

Rudi

well after losing our equity we will have about 2000 quid after we have bought our fights, but we gona be brave and find the better life

well after losing our equity we will have about 2000 quid after we have bought our fights, but we gona be brave and find the better life

Dont want to be a harbinger ,make sure you have jobs or at least one job or you will be struggling on 2 grand, you will need a bond to rent usually 4 weeks rent then you have to find some where to stay first . It aint cheap over here rents are dear I can only speak for WA but you are lookin $300 at least . If you have some income it will be tight but you be fine but it is just the same as the uk , you do not get afree ride , hope everythings ok for you

Mally

pomypaul, hope you enjoy life out in oz, are these people who take 10k pluss going to rent a house when they get there, or are they going to get a job and maybe buy a house.

You have to rent for at least 6 months if you have not got a deposit to put down ( a good wedge at least now) as the banks are now asking for 10% deposits. Houses are bottom price $3 - 400 k so you are lookin at $40k deposit. Most people rent to gain work history and get a feel for suberbs

Mally

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Hi, I have been reading a lot of posts on here, with people saying they have got £50k, or £100k to go out to oz with, obviously from the equity of their houses. But we will be lucky to scrap together £10k to go out with. (We got on the housing ladder at the tail end of the bloom, so not made much on our house)

So I was wondering if there was anyone else going out with £10k or less???

Also, is there anyone out there who did go to oz on £10k or less and do they have any tips for starting out again, on what seems to be very little to go out with in comparison to others.

Thanks

Mandisfam

came out with a wife,2yr old and 1,500gbp....was a bloody struggle...2yrs on and itsvall gravy :wink:

We went back packing and spent about £5k in about 6 months... Totally different kettle of fish granted, but you can make your money stretch if you need to. And we didnt go short on a bevvy or two either!

We should be landing with about the same, with no family or chums to give us the G`day when landing etc.

But who cares, we can come and go as we please and will try our hand in the many different places there is to offer to make sure we settle in the correct place.

As long as the essential are covered i`ll be happy.

.... He who dares rodders (N°2) ....

Guest tigers08
cameout with a wife,2yr old and 1,500gbp....was a bloody struggle...2yrs on and itsvall gravy :wink:

looks like we going to be coming with about same as you did guys, glad u battled through it , an got there, well done

• 1 month later...
Guest daveandhelen

Hi there, my husband and I came over with £5k. We shipped most of our stuff over here which has saved us a lot of money. We've both managed to get jobs pretty quickly which has helped massively.

Guest namecaesar
Hi,

we will probably be lucky to have around £10k to take with us too, so am reading with great interest all the replies that come through!

perhaps we could start our own club - Impoverished Poms, Poms in Poverty?!?

Great proposal, as long as the membership is free. :biglaugh:

Guest ashmalog

we will have about 25k so should get a car and furniture and then enough to sort rental and hol let.

worried by the lack of funds for a deposit but we have decided to rent for at least a year. we have family and close friends in oz and if we end up desperate.

Guest shawgorbys

lol Hubby says go with the flow you have got your family and money isnt everything but it helps so glad i read this post coz i was thinking the same,we will all be on jam buttys and duck wine lol

We came out with 10k but it soon ran out.We had to transfer another 10k so we could buy a car.Cars are expensive here so if you need to buy a car make sure you have plenty of money.We paid 3 month rent up front to get a rental.Food shopping is more expensive her i am spending a good £50-£80 more a week than i did in the uk.Takes a while to start work and start having a wage coming in. If you have children then school uniform is not cheap and mine have 3 uniforms formal casual and sports so costs a fair bit.

Guest PhilBen

I thought you had to have x amount before they would let you in AUD?

Phil

Foreign Exchange Explained

Guest Guruju

I came out with 10k and did the following to ensure I could eek it out. Hope some of these tips will help others.

1. Had a shared room in a house and stayed at the YHA (acknowledge its not practical for families) but some people in Aus have a granny flat - selfcontained house/unit at the back of their main house and will often let that out.

2. To avoid the need for a car initially look for the public transport infrastructure and follow the rail/tram/ferry/bus routes and hubs to find suburbs close to transport. Much more cost effective than a car and in some cities its a nightmare to drive in the City anyway. Most Australian suburbs have schools, Drs and shopping centres within walking distance so look for those and at least check for those.

3. Any house on the beach or river will be very expensive - look for suburbs that give you access to these aspects but dont be tempted to live there - cheaper rent now will be a big issue.

4. Don't get hung up on what you did for a job or what you are qualified for. Your status in Aus is not determined by your job but what kind of decent person you are. It's not the rat race of the UK here (except some expats who continue the same behaviour they had inthe UK keeping up with the Joneses - no one cares here - its more about enjoying life and social company. So keep your mind open and look at jobs that you would not normally do - you never know you may enjoy it and meet some great people and if you dont like it, well its not a career, its just a job to get you through paying the bills!

5. Most things in Aus are free - great parks with electric BBQs for free, great walk/cycle paths along some lovely views, a coffee overlooking the ocean may cost $3.50 but no one hurries you on and its relaxing to stare out to the sea, Aussies are very friendly and their homes are the most social places they have so get together for a bring a plate lunch or afternoon tea after school rather than dine out.

Cheers

Julia

I would not come out with less than £10,000 if you are a family and you have no jobs set up or any family here to help you out!!!!

It is hard and yes you have the weather but the weather doesnt bring in the money???

Interesting thread for me, thanks. I have been carefully ignoring this side to it all - but I need to start facing upto the reality that A) I cant take UK debts to Australia, as the exchange rate will hurt :-) and B) I need to get saving!

10K sounds like a good amount to take, there are 2 of us though, I wonder if we should aim for a little more to cover feeding 2 mouths.

Guest Guruju

Hi Dave S

Australians are really good at being thrifty, without the stigma there can sometimes be about such approaches. OP Shops here are well used by all sectors of the community with good quality items in stock at very cheap prices. There is also a lot of farmers markets, growing own vegies, crafts skills such as knitting, making of clothes, bulk cooking etc. Also many businesses have bargains on certain days of the week that everyone learns about. Lots of aussies barter with each other on an informal basis given different skills - I have generally found it to be very supportive if expats only make the effort to make the connections and talk to people.

If the dream is worth it for you, then all the sacrifice in the early year(s) is worth it in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps - where are you looking to move to in Aus?

Cheers

Julia

Thanks for the reply :-)

I am hoping to work in Sydney and live within public transport distance of where I work to reduce our initial costs.

Growing my own food is something I want to do as well, but we are renting initially so I am not sure I would be able to.

Guest guest17301

Hey..we came with buttons..still living on buttons..but what the hell we live in Oz! Yay!! But then I did have a job to come out to..more money would be good but I wouldn't go back to England willingly..

I think everyone has been thinking the same thing with mess of things over here at the moment!

We are hoping to lodge our visa in August then going out there on a working holiday visa in Oct so we will be going with practilly nothing:shocked:!!! But we have family over there and my oh will have a job when we get there. so we are just going for it!! Why not eh! And hopfully by the time we get our visa granted we will have saved up enough. Plus you can claim your tax back on a working holiday visa!!

Dont give up!!

x

we came with..........wait for it................ 2000 GBP!! and that was all...

Granted we did have family to stay with but we had no jobs planned. We had our rental place sorted out within 3 weeks and OH job in 3 weeks. Took me 5 weeks to find a job but now we all set up pretty much.

I think you just need to be sensible, we dont have a car, and we only have one night out a week (cinema/shopping/resturant etc) - which is pretty good I reckon. We eat home made stuff and not expensive pre made thigs. I would say beer is the biggest expense!

I wouldnt brng kids on that little money but for the 2 of us 20somethings it was fine.

Guest guest30038

One thing folk forget..................claim yer tax back before you leave............evry bit helps. Don't let 'em fool you that it can't be done. As long as you're not working just before you leave, send a covering letter to the tax saying that you need your tax before you go..........we got ours and others have done similar. Things may have changed though, but it's a thought.

kev

Guest guest17301
One thing folk forget..................claim yer tax back before you leave............evry bit helps. Don't let 'em fool you that it can't be done. As long as you're not working just before you leave, send a covering letter to the tax saying that you need your tax before you go..........we got ours and others have done similar. Things may have changed though, but it's a thought.

kev

Can you still do it once you're here in Aus Kev?

Archived