Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest asrais

Myself and my husband plan on taking around €15,000 (around £10,000). We currently live in a council house with my mum, so have no profit from selling a house, everything we're taking is savings.

We have no kids, so we are willing to slum it for a while and spend as little as possible on rent! Anything will be better than our current situation.

Having said that we have very little furniture and stuff to bring with us, so we will have to buy everything. We also have two dogs that we want to bring, but they will stay with mum in Ireland until we raise the cash to get them over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when we sell up and pay of our mahooooosive mortgage, and loans we will ahve nowt. but are plannign on renting here for 6 months while we get visas sorted and saving like crazy.

we are also planning on taking our car with us ( dh works in cranes so knwo a heap of shipping companies and recons it will costs £500 ish - cheaper by heaps than buying over there) all we need is a RWC and the rego on it and that everyone has to pay so we will be better off.

money wise we are hoping to take between £5k and £8k depending on what we can scrape together. QLD so no school fees for the little ones and dh will have at least 2 job offers before i get on that plane! we are looking at rental prices now, but as we will not have any rental refs, having owned our house, we may need a bigger deposit.

i recon flights for the dog and visas are the costliest bit. *gulp*

deffo keep us up to date on things and how they go.

If i was you i would look into car cost a little more as it is not as simple as you think. It is a serious thing we all doing just step back a little & look at your situation can you realy survie on so little if you can great but if you cant it means returning to uk at more cost will you put some money aside for flights home if needed? I am not trying to put you off just trying to keep your feet on the ground as we all can carried away with the excitment.

Hi

Brilliant reading, has put our minds at rest slightly,

We had a huge shock when we added up how much it will cost us in total to move to oz, we estimate around £18k including shipping, selling house here, two dogs, flights,visas, registrations etc and the list goes on

A real eye opener but we still want to go

We hoping house will sell sooner rather than later as renting will be cheaper than our mortgage and finders crossed we will have about £15k when we get there

You only live once

Claire x

Guest Scott Family

only just picked up this thread but makes me feel a lot better as we only have around £7k. I have a job though so we are at least with earning potential.

From the thread i have picked up that you need a bond and upto 4 weeks rent for a house and my husband may need a cheap run around. Is there anything else major that you need cash for and what price for a cheap run around car. I get a car with my job so it is only to ferry kids about etc. Will need some money for bits of furniture and stuff till uk stuff turns up.

Any advice

Kate

The OH and I are planning on taking 3 months salary each and heading over on WH visas. He works in computer networking and I work in accountancy so we're pretty hopeful we can get jobs when we get over there and apply for a 457 visa. Will still take us the next 12 months to save that sort of money - probs about £8k - though so its still a while off.

Guest tigers08

hi natalie we will only have about 5000 to take but have auntys uncles cousins in adelaide so we be ok, 4 of us me my wife and son 8 daughter 5 adelaide prob get more value for money there to with houses so that could be an option for you, mediteranean climate too. good luck, we will all be fine

Would be very interested if you know of any shipping companies that take cars over cheap. We have a Mitsubishi Warrior, 4 year old, had it for 3 years, only done 40,000 miles. Ideal for hubbies work (brickie) and to replace it with similar over there I think will be so expensive. Need a reliable vehicle. Must be worth thinking about.

Guest The Birmingham Villains
Would be very interested if you know of any shipping companies that take cars over cheap. We have a Mitsubishi Warrior, 4 year old, had it for 3 years, only done 40,000 miles. Ideal for hubbies work (brickie) and to replace it with similar over there I think will be so expensive. Need a reliable vehicle. Must be worth thinking about.

Hi,

it is not so much the cost of moving the car (about 2.5K) I was quoted. It is the cost, delay and quarantine times on the other side. You might not see your car for three months. There are different agencies that have to be paid in Oz to get your car through. In the end you could be looking at 4/5K. When we went for a reccie, the builders over in Oz seem to prefer a UTE. These are very smart looking trucks and are not that expensive. It might just pay to get what you can for your truck in this country and put it towards something that you will be able to drive as soon as you get there.

Good luck

Kev

We were going to be taking less than £15K with us but thanks to my mothers very clever (and unexpected) investment of a legacy from her great uncle (still with me??) we'll be taking nearer £40K with us :shocked:

Really want to go now though :( Going to be a tough 2 years knowing we've got the cash to go but still needing my degree.

Hi everyone, i am completely new to this, but really pleased that I have fallen upon this thread!ME, my hubby and 2 kids are hoping to move to brisbane in 1 month!!

We have permanent residency visa, and hubby has a job to start straight away.(We are both nurses). We have been extrmely anxious as after everything is paid for remvals, flights etc, we will have very little money t o take, les than 5k. WE will get $5000 relocation back, which we will use to buy a car.

We have seriously considered not going as we have been so worried about the money, but i feel much more positive after reading the experiences of you guys, so thanks to you all for being so honest. I thought we were on our own as everyone you hear about seems to take thousands and be able to be mortgagae free!

Hi, we came over here from S.A, very little money, basically just our suitcases as the exchange rate from S.A is terrible. we are living happily and have 2 cars now,which we could never afford over there. so with your pounds you should be laughing.

Hi, we left S.A with R30,000,Approx , 3,000 pounds, which paid for the rest of my family to come out to me. I took $a2,500 with me, but had a job to come to. your money goes a long way over here, but you need to buy a car to get around,(where i'm living anyway) Townsville).

If you have a job to come to, you will be fine, don't worry.

We are also going out on very little money so will be a massive struggle. But I have friends in Brisbane so hopefully we will have some help! I have a job to go straight out to and my OH will take whatever work is available. I will probably do extra nursing shifts which should pay weekly to us through. I think if can get through first 6 months then will be fine.

Guest Guest18443

Have been reading this thread with great interest. We will be going over with about £70k. (We originally bought in 1996 when house prices were very cheap). And I was panicking about that!! I think those who are going with £10k or there abouts are very brave. I'm glad it's worked out for those who have gone and it gives an incentive to all those who want to emigrate (what with the current credit crisis in the uk)!!

Good luck to everyone who is making the life changing experience of moving 'down under' and to those who have taken the plunge on £10k or thereabouts - I hope it was worth it.

Guest guest17301
Hi everyone, i am completely new to this, but really pleased that I have fallen upon this thread!ME, my hubby and 2 kids are hoping to move to brisbane in 1 month!!

We have permanent residency visa, and hubby has a job to start straight away.(We are both nurses). We have been extrmely anxious as after everything is paid for remvals, flights etc, we will have very little money t o take, les than 5k. WE will get $5000 relocation back, which we will use to buy a car.

We have seriously considered not going as we have been so worried about the money, but i feel much more positive after reading the experiences of you guys, so thanks to you all for being so honest. I thought we were on our own as everyone you hear about seems to take thousands and be able to be mortgagae free!

Don't worry I'm not! We will have about £1000 if we're lucky!! We have nothing and live week to week in this country so why should it be any different in Oz?? I am a nurse too, I have a job to go to and if things went seriously tits up our family would help. No reason to believe it would though and they would do the same for us in the UK. Theres more to life than money and as long as you've got a home, basic living essentials and enough to eat and drink you'll be fine. YOU CAN SURVIVE ON A STRICT BUDGET, IT'S WHETHER OR NOT YOU'RE PREPARED TO!! No one ever died from sitting on a second hand sofa or eating smart price beans! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy lots of quality time in a lovely environment with your family xxx

Guest Impatient
We have nothing and live week to week in this country so why should it be any different in Oz??

Great post. Good luck to you all, just remember that you are no worse off than if you had stayed. It is your big adventure, live it and love it and smile every day at what you are doing. See you on the beach, remembering what life is really about.

Guest guest17301
Great post. Good luck to you all, just remember that you are no worse off than if you had stayed. It is your big adventure, live it and love it and smile every day at what you are doing. See you on the beach, remembering what life is really about.

You're on my wavelength! :notworthy: xx

• 1 month later...
Guest The Wierdo's

Hi Suzy,

First of all well done for being brave enough to emmigrate as a lone parent and without much money!

We're in a similar boat as we may have a job offer but we haven't got any money. When you filled out your visa application how much did you say you would be taking with you (if that's not too personal) I'm worried they will decline our employer sponsered visa because we don't have enough. Thanks Sue

Don't worry I'm not! We will have about £1000 if we're lucky!! We have nothing and live week to week in this country so why should it be any different in Oz?? I am a nurse too, I have a job to go to and if things went seriously tits up our family would help. No reason to believe it would though and they would do the same for us in the UK. Theres more to life than money and as long as you've got a home, basic living essentials and enough to eat and drink you'll be fine. YOU CAN SURVIVE ON A STRICT BUDGET, IT'S WHETHER OR NOT YOU'RE PREPARED TO!! No one ever died from sitting on a second hand sofa or eating smart price beans! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy lots of quality time in a lovely environment with your family xxx

you'll do just fine, fortune favours the brave hey :)

Guest hairdresser uk
Have been reading this thread with great interest. We will be going over with about £70k. (We originally bought in 1996 when house prices were very cheap). And I was panicking about that!! I think those who are going with £10k or there abouts are very brave. I'm glad it's worked out for those who have gone and it gives an incentive to all those who want to emigrate (what with the current credit crisis in the uk)!!

Good luck to everyone who is making the life changing experience of moving 'down under' and to those who have taken the plunge on £10k or thereabouts - I hope it was worth it.

When I finally get to going, if i sold the house today (bloody unlikely!!) but I would walk away with about 75K GBP and I too was in a stir as too if it could be done. I am saving every penny too to add to the fund and hopefully if and when I get a visa it will be closer to the 100K GBP mark hopefully more if the property market shapes up.

I am a single parent and bought my house back in 97 for buttons ( I couldnt afford to buy it now), I will be taking 2 kids and 2 dogs (more money!!). I am not shipping furniture or cars as i will start a fresh.

The way I see it - life is a struggle here no matter what you do and nobody had the pot of money when they started out over here say £10K or whatever and we all made it and managed(just), and reading these posts on here just go to show it can be done with sheer grit and determination and the phrase life is what you make of it certainly is true.

so well done to everyone and those who went with very little as in a couple of grand I think your very brave as I wouldnt have the balls to do that (wish I did).

Archived