Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bloody school fees...How unfair is that?? They want the $4,500 per child and want it up front, in full.

Wish they allowed payment by instalments...Anyone heard of anyone paid school fees in smaller chunks?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying it ...I just wish we could pay by installments...

Any brainy people here know anything that could be useful in relation to school fees?

PLEASE RESPOND!

Yup, try the Catholic system. AFAIK they dont charge the international component (well they dont in ACT and we are part of the Goulburn diocese which is NSW) so you would just be up for the regular fees which are less than the $4500 and are payable by the term. You dont have to be Catholic but it helps! Alternatively suss out other private schools - some of them may have low fees (obviously not Sydney Girls Grammar which will be around the $15k mark) which they would take by the term.

Guest grilla & flo
The cost of the application process is ongoing...we have a small amount in bank at the moment....and can manage to put £300 ish away each month towards the various costs that will arise......also having a massive clear out at spring bank holiday.....see if we have owt worth selling on ebay/car boots etc...rest will get chucked in a skip..but at least it's a job out of the way!

just a thought, cos skips aren't cheep. have you heard of a site called United Kingdom (UK) Freecycle Groups' Homepage as the name says it's free, if you no longer want something but it may be usefull to someone else and you just want rid of it for no money post it on this site. could save you having to pay for skip. anything goes on here beds, cookers fridges, tv, old blankets, clothes, cutlery,pots pans. even a box of wall tiles....

just a thought, cos skips aren't cheep. have you heard of a site called United Kingdom (UK) Freecycle Groups' Homepage as the name says it's free, if you no longer want something but it may be usefull to someone else and you just want rid of it for no money post it on this site. could save you having to pay for skip. anything goes on here beds, cookers fridges, tv, old blankets, clothes, cutlery,pots pans. even a box of wall tiles....

To be honest...I have heard of it and am a member of my local group...but had TOTALLY forgotten all about it.... don't know if anyone would want our old tat tho lol

We are SUCH hoarders....not anymore it has to go....the loft is being cleared to within an inch of it's life...and toys not suitable anymore/not played with will go to the local nursery. We are not hiring a skip now...going to do it the harder way and take trips to the tip ourselves and save the money....which following hubbys slighty bad news today is a neccessity.... his employer (who were in the throes of a takeover bid) have announced today that the takeover has hit a stubmling block, that they cant guarantee they will get paid this month... and they sent everyone home, with a promise to let them know by Friday/Tuesday whether there was a company to go back to!!!

Not worried about him getting another job...but am very upset he might not get paid for the last month...we need every penny! :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rizah

Hey there - I moved out here about 4 weeks ago with my partner and my two kids with about 10k (pounds), this has covered the bond on a rather large house with a swiming pool, the first months rent, small amount of essential furnature, 4 week car rental, food and some clothing.

One thing I will say is do not under estimate how much your house is going to cost, my rent is over 2 grand (dollars) a month, Oz aint as cheep a country as it used to be, its much more expensive these days.

I was lucky to be coming out on a 457 so had a job to go to when I got here but do bring as much cash as you can with you, medical insurance is expensive and does not cover everything (some medications are not covered), if you have kids then schooling is not free, I have 2 kids and they are at a gouvernment school with only 6 months of term left and even then I still have to pay about a grand (dollars) in fees, also cost me more than $500 each for their uniforms. If you want to send your kids to a private school then look to be paying anything up to $20k a year including uniform, travel, other fees.

Petrol is not as cheep here as it used to be, stil cheeper than UK but that wont last for long, Oz is very quickly catching up with UK prices, they reckon it will be $2 a litre before xmas.

If you come over on a 457 visa make sure you apply for LAFH (living away from home allowance) which basically gives you rent and food tax free.

I would say folks on a 457 coming over with nothing but 10k will just make it, come with anything less and you may struggle, especially if you are of the same mind as me, I never came out here to live in the same size house as I had in UK and eat the same sausage and beans for tea every night like I did in the UK, I came out here to live like a king lol, no seriously though I am sure you know what I mean, I never travelled 10k miles to live in poverty or on the bread line, all I am saying is bring as much as you can with you and use garage sales and IKEA for your first lot of furniture.

Good luck to you all, its a great country and while me and my family miss everyone back home like hell we are glad we are here.

Guest MoreSkippy
Hey there - I moved out here about 4 weeks ago with my partner and my two kids with about 10k (pounds), this has covered the bond on a rather large house with a swiming pool, the first months rent, small amount of essential furnature, 4 week car rental, food and some clothing.

One thing I will say is do not under estimate how much your house is going to cost, my rent is over 2 grand (dollars) a month, Oz aint as cheep a country as it used to be, its much more expensive these days.

I was lucky to be coming out on a 457 so had a job to go to when I got here but do bring as much cash as you can with you, medical insurance is expensive and does not cover everything (some medications are not covered), if you have kids then schooling is not free, I have 2 kids and they are at a gouvernment school with only 6 months of term left and even then I still have to pay about a grand (dollars) in fees, also cost me more than $500 each for their uniforms. If you want to send your kids to a private school then look to be paying anything up to $20k a year including uniform, travel, other fees.

Petrol is not as cheep here as it used to be, stil cheeper than UK but that wont last for long, Oz is very quickly catching up with UK prices, they reckon it will be $2 a litre before xmas.

If you come over on a 457 visa make sure you apply for LAFH (living away from home allowance) which basically gives you rent and food tax free.

I would say folks on a 457 coming over with nothing but 10k will just make it, come with anything less and you may struggle, especially if you are of the same mind as me, I never came out here to live in the same size house as I had in UK and eat the same sausage and beans for tea every night like I did in the UK, I came out here to live like a king lol, no seriously though I am sure you know what I mean, I never travelled 10k miles to live in poverty or on the bread line, all I am saying is bring as much as you can with you and use garage sales and IKEA for your first lot of furniture.

Good luck to you all, its a great country and while me and my family miss everyone back home like hell we are glad we are here.

Thanks for the insight Rizah.

As you say, it all depends on expectations and character. We are going on very low budget (in fact, if you sneeze hard, you could blow away all the money we are taking!!!).

But, we are extremely optimistic and realistic people (yes, they are people who are this!!) and we will be living in smalish flat for the first two years, while we give OZ specially Sydney) the once over!!!

After that. if we like it there in OZ, we will sell our flat and use the money to maybe purchase a new property...All a pipe dream but hey, even if we don't buy a property in Sydney, it's not the end of the world, is it?!??!

If you want to know about our lifestyle in UK, just for comparisons, we live near the sea (HOVE) , have two bed flat with the biggest garden, and host so many barbies that even have some OZ mates come down from London for these, our child can play outside whole day (rarity in UK!!) with neighbours kids (we get along so well) and it's in a close, so almost no traffic bar 'close' people. We all keep an eye on kids in turns.

Idyllic but hey, when you have a dream you mst follow it, right!!

Sydney is my OH and my dream. We'd love to make it happen.

Even if start small....on a small budget.

Guest grilla & flo

....which following hubbys slighty bad news today is a neccessity.... his employer (who were in the throes of a takeover bid) have announced today that the takeover has hit a stubmling block, that they cant guarantee they will get paid this month... and they sent everyone home, with a promise to let them know by Friday/Tuesday whether there was a company to go back to!!!

Not worried about him getting another job...but am very upset he might not get paid for the last month...we need every penny! :sad:

sorry to hear your bad news, hope he does get paid. be good to get to a country where we are wanted......

Guest Rizah

Very true, I had very high expectations when I came out here, thankfully I have been able to fulfill most of them, but had I set my expectations bit lower then I would still have some savings to fall back on :)

AH well my partner and kids are happy, they have big house with pool in gorgeous area with loads of huge shopping malls close by, I am out here just to finance it all lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

my husband and I just moved over to OZ and we brought only 3000 pounds with us. We had no house to sell and after we bought our tickets and paid for our stuff to be removed, its all we had left. We rented a house, bought a furnitre package for about $2000 and slowly every week, we buy a bit more. We have 2 kids, and we have found it not be stressful at all. We are happier as a family. Our sponsor gave us a new car and we pay $50 dollars a week on it. It just goes to show, that you dont have to come out with thousands, just an eagerness and you can do it. We are now living in a nice house, and we are totally happy.

Guest Pandy12

This is a good thread as was also panicing that we needed to take at least 5k but it may only be 2K or less by the time the visa comes. My partner, the one who has Oz citizenship said he origionally got to Oz with 200 in his pocket, back in the 80's. Also on a positive note, at least we won't be having those worryingly increasing fuel bills, petrol is alot cheaper even though you may drive mor and its alot more fun to be in the sun if/ when there is a 'recession' on. Freecycle also exists in Australia for those of us who will be getting a house together on the cheap!

Guest Sunsh1ne

Hi

We've (family of 2 adults, 2 small kids) have now been in Sydney since 15 May and although we are so far loving it the thing that has surprised me the most is the cost of everything. I used to live about 15 miles east of London in Essex so although wasn't in London itself was on the periphery but I find the basics here much more expensive unless I've just forgotten ! For example - a regular loaf of bread is £2.

I appreciate that we are much closer to Sydney than we were to London (we're renting in Freshwater) but I'm much more weary of what I spend - that could be because I'm looking for work too so every penny counts. Rent is pretty steep too too - 2 bed apartments around this area were approximately $350 plus with houses being a minimum of $580 plus. Obviously all depends on location, condition etc. but just make sure your eyes are wide open.

It's funny the talk here is the same as back home - it's all about rising petrol prices - here we pay $1.60 ish.

Besides the cost aspect we're having a fab time trying to settle in - the walks along the beach checking out the surfers and the waves are amazing.

Good luck.

Sunsh1ne

Guest caza75

hello all,

i am new to this site an find that it is much better than the irish site i am on ( but dont let on i said that ha ha)

i too was goin to ask the same question about the money as on the other forum they all seem to have a lot of equity out of their houses to take with them..

we sold our house near 2 years ago an the money is goin down rightly so i was gettin a bit worried that we did not have enough, but after seein this i am sure we will be grand... idealy it would be great to have a load of dosh that you could live mortage free but think we wil have to wait till our numbers come up on the lotto ...

we were never lookin to get rich over there , its the lifestyle we want, so here's hoping for us all!!!!

we are hoping to hear soon as our application was recieved in sept 07!!! we have a case officer from may an still no word.. we have been told by the agent that the quota for last year is complete an that they should start issuing visas now 1st july... fingers crossed.. realy did not think that it would take this long as we started this last march!!!

so good luck to you all an keep the info flowing

cheers caza

Guest Andthomp83

I'm also really worried about not having enough money to go out there with, I'm a single girl travelling alone and hoping to get work as soon as I get out there, has anyone got any money saving tips to earn some extra cash before I go, I have 4 months! ahahhhhh!

Guest mandisfam
I'm also really worried about not having enough money to go out there with, I'm a single girl travelling alone and hoping to get work as soon as I get out there, has anyone got any money saving tips to earn some extra cash before I go, I have 4 months! ahahhhhh!

Hi there, I went out on my own back in 2001, with just £1000, which was about $2225 at the time. I spent about $500 of it before I started work, although I was staying with friends rent free for a bit, once I had more regular work I started paying rent then.

Saving money is much easier if there is only you to buy for, just get what you need and double think about whether you really need something before you get it.

Good Luck

Mandisfam

Guest pom37

Hi, we came to oz in november 07 with £12,500. We didnt bring anything apart from the clothes in our cases and a few small belongings. With this money we bought all our furniture and appliances (although some were good quality second hand) we also bought a used car, paid all the school fees for our kids and splashed out a bit. We have no savings left as it doesn't go far in Perth but our only regret is that we didn't have enough money for a new car. The first car we bought was a banger, it cost $1300 and lasted 5 weeks before it completely died (it would have cost £200 in the UK) We now have a 10 yr old car with 110,000 kms and this cost $3400 (again would cost about £500 in the uk). How your money will last depends on where your going and what your bringing with you. It is possible though to start afresh with £10,000 but it may be tight at times. Best wishes.

Guest Count Zero

We moved with about 30K pounds debt, but managed to get 10 grand to pay the loans for two years so we could move to Australia while staying sweet in the UK. 8 years on and we have just gone into the black but its been a struggle, but it didn't stop us and we have had quite an adventure. I would be delighted to have ten grand with no debts to move with!

Guest junan70

Can everyone stop with the 'at least the weather will be nice' malarkey?!!! I went to Sydney last week for another reccie before deciding where to study and it was poring with rain and freezing cold. The weather was so bad I didn't even get on the ferry to Manly. Still better than Leicester in the sun mind you!!!

This thread is brilliant because I will have scraped £20k together by January to study for the 2 years I need to.....and I'm in bits about whether this is the right thing to do or not. It will use up everything I have (I'm 38 with no property, pension or partner). BUT from what I've read, many of you have managed on less.

I will have to work to support myself but I can only work for 20 hrs a week. I'm hoping to get a part time 'career job' as opposed to bar work or whatever. It'll be better on my CV and it'll pay more.

In terms of householdy stuff, luckily I went on a world trip last year and it opened my eyes. The happiest people I saw were also what we'd consider the poorest AND as for the amount of things we throw away, it's shameful.

SO....I'll be off to the charity shops for my pots and pans (if you're thinking "ugh!" just remember that even in the world's best restaurants you're eating food from pots and pans that have been used hundreds of times!) I can manage on a mattress and ebay and Freeycle will do me for tables and chairs etc. Might splurge a bit on an IKEA sofa :-)

I want to move to Melbourne, so hopefully I'll live near the city and the trams, trains and buses will do me for a couple of years. Might treat myself to a decent bike tho!

I'm just getting the feeling that people manage with what they have and live within their means. Whatever it takes to make it work.

As for people in the UK who need to make/save a bit more money.....if you haven't looked at the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more website, now's the time to do it!

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Hi, I have been reading a lot of posts on here, with people saying they have got £50k, or £100k to go out to oz with, obviously from the equity of their houses. But we will be lucky to scrap together £10k to go out with. (We got on the housing ladder at the tail end of the bloom, so not made much on our house)

So I was wondering if there was anyone else going out with £10k or less???

Also, is there anyone out there who did go to oz on £10k or less and do they have any tips for starting out again, on what seems to be very little to go out with in comparison to others.

Thanks

Mandisfam

Do ya know I love this site:)))

I was soooooooooooo worried about going out with very little money, it's good to know there are other peeps inthe same boat. We are deffo going out if everthing goes well with £10,000 or less.

So don't worry:)))

briggy:))):spinny:

we came over with 10k

transport oh car me bike swallowed up most of it 2nd hand motors are dear but on the whole reliasble Hyundai lantra sportwagon (estate) 96 180k on the clock 4k decent motor tho compared to some of the heaps a bloke at work ringin rou8nd for tyres they were on the metal nobody giz a fek . We had our short term rent and bond remember you cant long term let without going to view the rental and aussie refs are worth 1000 uk refs

Malx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest welshhuw

This thread is brilliant!

Ive been panicking about how much to save up etc etc.

It will be hard but im trying to work out exactly how much i will need to tkae me, my partner and my 2 children.

Flights, Furniture Moving, Immigration Visa Costs, Getting a home, Car, etc.

Finding out what i will be entitled to and my partner.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on the thread!!!!!!

Guest Australia_bound?

We'll be taking hopefully 10 to 15k, but as Mrs will have a job secured and we get half of house rent paid and a few other job linked bonuses I don't think it'll be too hard, as we've lived on one wage (not massive) in UK for past 7 years and will be earning similar in Aus until I find work, but I won't earn anywhere near what I do in UK as will have to change employment sectors and start at the bottom of the ladder once more.

quote - aussie refs are worth 1000 uk refs

???

Sorry - I dont understand what your saying????

Please explain - Lol

Thanks.:wacko:

I'm presuming it means that when renting a reference from an Australian is worth more than a reference from the UK.

Archived