Changing Employment on a 187 Visa

sazm2k12

I'm sure this question has been asked before but has anybody changed employers on a 187 visa? I have been unhappy in my job from the start and still have another 8 months left to go until I can leave. I know it doesn't sound like its that long but every day is a struggle at the moment and I am very unhappy. I have already worked for my employer for over 2 years in total now. If I found the same job working in the same area does anybody know if I would be permitted to leave or would the new employer have to sponsor me?

Guest MigrateAustralia

Hello,

The 187 visa has a cancellation provision that requires you to remain with your sponsoring employer for 2 years after grant. If you were to leave your employer within the 2 year period, the Department of Immigration may write to you asking for reasons why they should not cancel your visa. You would need to demonstrate that you had made a 'genuine effort' to remain with your employer. You would not need to be re-sponsored if you changed employers. It would be a good idea to find the same/similar job in the same regional area as this shows your commitment to living and working in regional Australia.

All the best.

Christel

Thanks for your answer Migrate Australia. Do you know what they consider a "genuine effort". The reason I hate it here so much are the people. We are in a 4 person office and 2 out of the 4 are impossible. I have raised the issues with my employer regarding one of the employees (as I'm supposed to delegate work to her and she is consistently rude and uncooperative) but don't feel like I can with the other as she is my superior and we don't have a HR department etc. 2 years on I'm still filled with dread when they come into the office in the morning and I can feel my self-esteem getting lower and lower. The workload is also severely impacting on me as I am doing 2 people's jobs in one. I contacted a recruitment agency this morning and I have a potential interview but I don't want to go and waste everyone's time if I won't be allowed to leave anyway and I don't want to misrepresent my visa conditions. The worst possible thing would be for my visa to be cancelled though and I will do anything to prevent that as my partner has a good job out here that he has progressed in and we have both invested in study out here and I have worked really hard for us to be able to stay here. I don't want it to all be for nothing.

• 2 years later...
On 07/10/2014 at 11:38, MigrateAustralia said:

Hello,

The 187 visa has a cancellation provision that requires you to remain with your sponsoring employer for 2 years after grant. If you were to leave your employer within the 2 year period, the Department of Immigration may write to you asking for reasons why they should not cancel your visa. You would need to demonstrate that you had made a 'genuine effort' to remain with your employer. You would not need to be re-sponsored if you changed employers. It would be a good idea to find the same/similar job in the same regional area as this shows your commitment to living and working in regional Australia.

All the best.

Christel

Hi sir i have the same condition i got my rsms permanent residence 5 month ago can i change my employer if someone offer me higher salary in regional area and my boss cant match  the salary