Working holiday visa 417 to permanent residency?

Abi

Hello all!

Does anybody know if you can gain permanent residency off a working holiday visa? I know you have to work 3 months on the land in order to extent the visa for two years and you are able to work only 6 months for each employer, but are you able to get sponsored by that employer and then move to a temporary work skilled visa (457)? My job is currently on the CSOL list but I'm only needed in the Northern Territory (I don't really understand this as after looking on seek there are only 25 jobs needed in Darwin in comparison to 1200 in Sydney, 400 in Brisbane and so on). Could I work in a larger city if I find an employer to sponsor me rather than the state sponsorship?

Next issue, what are the possibilities for a person on a working holiday visa to get a job in an office such as a property manager?

Thanks for reading!!

My job is currently on the CSOL list but I'm only needed in the Northern Territory (I don't really understand this as after looking on seek there are only 25 jobs needed in Darwin in comparison to 1200 in Sydney, 400 in Brisbane and so on).

The number of jobs apparently available on Seek has no bearing on whether there's a shortage of applicants for those jobs.

There might be lots of jobs advertised in Sydney but there are lots of people already here to fill them.

And even though there are only a few jobs available in Darwin, those few jobs are probably difficult to fill because very few people want to live there.

So NT will sponsor but NSW will not.

Edited by NickyNook

Guest geordie joe

That's exactly the route my son took, moved to Perth on a WHV and found a job as an electrical engineering technician. The company then sponsored him on a 457 and 6 months later offered him sponsorship via an employer nominated scheme (186) which gave him permanent residency earlier this year. So it is possible, I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time.

That's exactly the route my son took, moved to Perth on a WHV and found a job as an electrical engineering technician. The company then sponsored him on a 457 and 6 months later offered him sponsorship via an employer nominated scheme (186) which gave him permanent residency earlier this year. So it is possible, I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time.

Our middle daughter is on a WHV right now, she started a job with a company today (Tuesday), in Sydney, that said they do sponsor if all goes well.. Too early to say ATM but fingers crossed.