Last tax before moving back

Gogibraltar

Hi and apologies for a second cry for advice in such rapid sequence.

This one relates to tax. I am about to file my tax return for 2013/2014 here in Oz and will have worked about 4 months of the 2014/2015 by the time we leave the country to go to the UK.

Has anyone filed an early tax return for the balance of the tax year worked in Auatralia? ...or does the balance just roll over into my assessable tax income when I file my UK taxes next year. What happens to the amounts my employer has been PAYGing on my behalf for these past four months? Is it lost in the ether?

I know Ask a Tax Agent is the obvious answer but I don't know any I have a high level of confidence on.

I asked a tax consultant whether we could file a tax return prior to leaving. He said yes we could but they don't do anything with it until June 2015, he also said we can file a tax return from abroad. Not sure whether that helps.

I filed my return for 2013-4 in July (by post in the end) and recently received a rebate on the PAYG tax that I'd paid between June and Dec 2013. No problems at all. Be careful of being non-resident during part of the year as the ATO will assess any income including savings at 32% for that period with no tax-free threshold (this was discussed in a recent post here).

Or do what DavidCellist suggests?

So I moved my savings over to the UK when I left to avoid that...

I assume the Inland Revenue don't have any knowledge of your Aussie income and tax unless you tell them you had a part-year income from working there? Probably best to treat them separately!