Anyone in a similar situation?

Guest linziloo

Guest linziloo

Hi Guys, Im just wondering in anyone elses parents have been granted a visa.

My 49 yr old mother, who is single would love to emigrate and would need to work. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences of this? thanks x

Guest Lui A xxx

hi linziloo,

sorry I can't help.....i know nothing about anything really........but just wanted to reply to your thread as you replied to mine last time......so hello agian.......I'm sure someone with a brain will be along shortly.......

All the best,

Luan

xxx

Guest linziloo

Hey, Luan

How are you? Thanks for replying! Im sure someone must have been in this situation before. Shes Spoken to the embassy and been told she needs 3k in her bank but I just would like to know the ins and outs myself.

Speak soon, thanks again xx

Guest Lui A xxx

Hi,

I'm fine thank you, this website is great and knowing people are out there in the same situation and can help is a comfort........how long have you been in perth?.......and what's it like....??...we have never been to Oz and are hoping to be there September this year......this seems very unlikely now due to the housing market.....but who knows.....???......I wish you all the best with your Mum.....I would love my Mum and dad to come with us but as I have a brother....I useless one at that......it would be dangerous for all concerned that they would ever be able to leave him!!!.....

Take Care,

Luan

xxx

Guest linziloo

Ye its a great site, i discovered it just before i came here. Ive been here nearly 5 months now, starting to feel really homesick. I talk to my mam and dad a couple of times a week but i dont know whethere that makes it worse!

So has your residency come thorugh yet or are you still in the long process of it all. x

Guest Lui A xxx

Hi,

we have done all the form filling.......and now???.......we are just waiting......and waiting.......our agents seem to think that it will be june july time before we get our pr visas........but as we haven't sold the house.....not really a problem............how have your 5 months been?.......hope the home sickness isn't too bad.......i have absolutely no idea how i'm going to feel when we get there.........i keep telling myself and anyone that will listen that we are only going for 2 years and if I am unhappy in this time.....I'll come back for a holiday.......Even going to leave just enough money here....just in case...... hope you start feeling better soon.

Luan

xxx

Guest linziloo

Ye, i remember the waiting, and waiting it drives you crazy!

Ive had a briliant time since ive been here and wouldnt change a thing, weve made some really great freinds. We actually had a babysitter on saturday night and went on our first night out together since weve been here. We went in to Fremantle and it was a great night, until it came to getting a taxi home, we stood for over 2 hours in a queue waiting. I was like a block of ice when i got home, very tired at 3.45am - never again!!

Im planning on going back to the uk for a holiday but its so expensive for flights - hope i dont actually ever need to get home in a rush, we'll probably never afford it.

well, hope u had a great weekend, did u get up to much? x

Guest taffy 62

My mum and dad applied to come out but they wernt of working age. i sponsered them as im an only child i took 2 years before they were told they had been accepted but had to go in the queue as oz was only allowing 500 parent a year on this visa, they would have been in a queue for 10 years! so they eventually came out on a 4 year retirement visa. and have since got perm whilst living here. they should have done it this way from the start.

I dont know what your mum will need being working age i should imagine if you could get her a job sponser that would be the easiest way. unless she gets a 12 month working visa, to see if she likes it here first. and work from there.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Guys, Im just wondering in anyone elses parents have been granted a visa.

My 49 yr old mother, who is single would love to emigrate and would need to work. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences of this? thanks x

Hi Linziloo

My mother is an elderly widow but she now has PR in Oz and lives in Perth. Mum has what is called a Contributory Parent visa. (And Mum has a part time job, working at home - which is pretty good going for 87! She thinks its brill! It is more 'occupational therapy' for her than 'job' but she likes to think of it as "a job.")

It sounds like Taffy 62's Parents now also have one of the Parent visas.

All of the Parent visas carry unlimited work rights in Oz.

What does your Mum do? If by a stroke of luck she has a job on the MODL and/or an employer would be willing to say that she is crucial to running the business etc etc, it is not impossible that she would be able to get a skilled visa in her own right which could lead to PR without needing to worry about the Parent migration route. But it does depend on her skills.

If that idea is not a goer, how many children does Mum have in total and where does each of you live? The central feature of Parent migration is the Balance of Family Test, which is described thus:

All applicants for a visa in the parent category must meet the 'balance of family’ (BoF) test. This means the applicants must have:

• at least half of their children living lawfully and permanently in Australia

or

• more children living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any other single country overseas.

Stepchildren are irrelevant unless they are under 18.

If Mum is OK on this Test then she is (or will become) eligible to apply for an offshore Parent or Contributory Parent visa.

Non contributory Parent visas have not improved much since Taffy's Parents first applied. There are now 700 visas each year and there are over 12,000 Parents in the official Queue, so the wait is about 17 years. (A complete disgrace if you ask me and it remains to be seen whether the new Minister for Immi will do something meaningful about increasing this miserable quota. An announcement is expected in the second half of May 2008.)

Contributory Parent visas are better because there are 3,500 available each year currently, and this might improve too depending on the announcement above. But they are pricey.

If Mum were able to apply for a CP visas before 30th June 2008, she would pay a total of $32,945 in non-refundable DIAC fees) plus a Bond of $10,0000 would have to be lodged with the Commonwealth Bank. The Bond is refunded in full after 10 years provided that the Parent has not made claims for State Benefits during the 10 years.

This is not as bad as it sounds. If she could apply before 30/06/08, the fee payable to DIAC for actually processing the visa application is $1,390. The request for the remainder of the money ($31,555) is the very last step before the visa is granted, plus it is possible to split this into two chunks, plus the Bond does not have to be deposited until just before the second chunk is paid. They do NOT ask for any big payments until they are absolutely sure that everything else is OK and that the visa will definitely be granted.

Please see the following links:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 34. Assurance of Support

Parent Migration Booklet

Parent Visa Charges

Nor would you necessarily have to wait until you have lived in Oz for 2 years before Mum could apply. Please see this link:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

The discussion in Alan Collett's article is just as valid for Parents as it is for Contributory Parents.

If a CP visa would not be affordable in the near future, another possibility would be as follows:

Bung in an application for a non-contributory Parent subclass 103 visa as soon as you possibly can. ($1,390 up front to DIAC for that.)

All of you then save like mad. Once you are sure that there will be enough money in the potfor a CP visa instead, Mum could switch into the CPV queue withut incurring any further cost for making the switch. If by then Mum has spent (say) 5 years in the Parent Queue, she would be very high on the list for priority processing of a CPV application so she would not have to wait as long as most other CPV applicants for her own CPV to be granted.

If you can confirm whether or not Mum can meet the Balance of Family Test, I will give you all the help that I possibly can, chooks.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest taffy 62

Hi yes gollywobbler is spot on i couldtnt remember all the details, just that my parent had to pay a lot of money and we had to pay a $10,000 bond. but it was worth it as now they dont have to keep going for medicals and renew their visa every 4 years.

and its worth piece of mind that they cant get kicked out as they are not getting any younger.

Best of luck for your mum:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi yes gollywobbler is spot on i couldtnt remember all the details, just that my parent had to pay a lot of money and we had to pay a $10,000 bond. but it was worth it as now they dont have to keep going for medicals and renew their visa every 4 years.

and its worth piece of mind that they cant get kicked out as they are not getting any younger.

Best of luck for your mum:smile:

Hi Taffy 62

Thanks for your kind words for my Mum. Your Parents deserve the very best too.

I agree with your sentiments about the relief to know that Mum and your Parents can't be thrown out of Oz and that they can get on with their lives without reference to DIAC. That makes the visa worth every cent of the cost as far as I am concerned.

I didn't mention it in my reply to Linziloo (but meant to) but her Mum would not be able to copy your Parents via the Retirement visa route. One has to be 55 to be eligible. Also they ahve done away with the old Retirement Visa and have replaced it with the Investor Retirement visa. The new figures are scary. Even a single Parent now has to be able to take not less than $1,000,0000 (yes, One Million Aus Dollars) into Oz for the new Investor Retirement visa.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest taffy 62
Hi Taffy 62

The new figures are scary. Even a single Parent now has to be able to take not less than $1,000,0000 (yes, One Million Aus Dollars) into Oz for the new Investor Retirement visa.

Best wishes

Gill

:shocked: Oh my god! thats ridiculous wait till I tell my folks! They came out at the right time then, they have been here about 5 years now.

I feel so sorry for families here that want their parents to join them now. Who has that sort of money?

Guest Gollywobbler
:shocked: Oh my god! thats ridiculous wait till I tell my folks! They came out at the right time then, they have been here about 5 years now.

I feel so sorry for families here that want their parents to join them now. Who has that sort of money?

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

The above new visa became the only Retirement visa now available on 1st July 2005. Your Parents must have been two of the last of the lucky ones with the old subclass 410 Retirement visa.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived