Gold Coast Suburbs

Aaronspark

Looking to move to the gold coast when we get our visas through, hopefully next year. Been looking at the different suburbs on the Gold Coast. Guessing we're going to be somewhere on the north side so we're nearer Brisbane for work (I'm an Electrician, hopefully can secure employment in the Gold Coast. OH works in Insurance)

does anyone have any recommendations of good suburbs, with decent schools, in North Gold Coast??

Hi

The Gold Coast http://www.visitgoldcoast.com/things-to-do/is a big area it would help if you could supply more information as to what you are looking for in a good suburb, do you want new houses or older , how many bed rooms , water views, play grounds, parks, what type of schools do you need .

We live in Oxenford near the theme parks, in a three bed two level house nice quite area, Helensvale mall http://www.westfield.com.au/helensvale/ 15 min drive away, all major supermarkets an easy drive, short drive onto the motorway, Movie World , Dream World and Wet and Wild water park all in the area. 15 to 20 minutes to Gold coast beaches, Southport and Surfers Paradise or go the other way into the hinterland and rain forests. The drive to and from Brisbane can be a real pain one road that can become a parking lot very quickly, also found when I was looking for work living in the Gold Coast worked against me when applying for jobs near Brisbane.

Anyway happy to try to answer any questions you have.

Do you have Facebook as there are a couple of Gold Coast expat groups on there.

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Would prefer a new (ish) house. We have 2 kids aged 6 and 15. A big for for us is getting them in a good school. So that would be 1 deciding factor in choosing an are to live in. Whether that would be state or private, not sure. In the long term would be looking at a 4 bed, but most probably renting for 1st year so 3 bed would probably suffice. Water views, parks and play grounds are all added bonus'.

So difficult knowing where to move to when your not there. If we didn't have kids, we could move around and get a feel for a place. But on arrival we will need to get them in a school, so can't be moving around all the time and as I understand need to be in a catchment area of a good school. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oxenford sound good for location. Have been looking at upper coomera. Mainly cos its nearer Brisabne and there appears to be a lot of new builds at a reasonable price. Hope island has also been looked at due to its location

I am on Facebook. What are the expat groups on there?

Cheers, Aaron

We too are in Oxenford but on the border of pacific pines , have friends in Coomera ,paradise point ,runaway bay , Helensvale , biggera waters and southport all what I class as northern Gold Coast and all have children in various state ,schools and all happy with them . I also have friends in what I class as the southern Gold Coast Ie robina , currumbin , mudgeerba ,worongary ,varsity lakes and equally happy with them .i guess what I'm trying to say is where ever you land in the Gold Coast you have the opportunity to make it work for you . work opportunities may depict however whether it is the north or south where you live but either way you will live on the Gold Coast and and enjoy all what is on offer

There is a brand new high school in Pimpama, and a brand new Pimpama primary State school opening in 2015, Also Coomera Rivers and Coomera Springs State primarys are good schools. Upper Coomera State College is one to give a miss. Pimpama, Ormeau areas are about 15-20 minuets further north of helensvale so closer to Brisbane, but the helensvale state high has quite a good name. You will find a good selection of near new homes for rent in the Pimpama, Ormeau, Coomera areas, http://www.realestate.com.au/rent. Lots of shops, medical centers and the like. There are 5 private schools in that area as well, but Coomera Anglican, St Stephens, and Assiss Catholic have wait lists. Livingstone College may have vacancies, but not one I would recommend. Lords the new Lutheran College is getting a very good name http://www.lords.qld.edu.au and has some vacancies, also in Ormeau they are currently prep to 10 but will be prep to 11 next year. Kings are also opening a new school in ormeau next year but at this stage only lower primary. Ormeau has a state primary but its a pretty old school, oh there is also Norfolk Village Primary again in Ormeau so you wont have a problem finding a school.

Hi. We've been here for three weeks now. We're living in Hope Island. So far we absolutely love it. It's very clean and modern. We're classed as 'Helensvale' and are just in the catchment area for the local primary & secondary which both have very good reputations. My OH is going to commute to Brissie by train. I tried it today for the 1st time, I know it's a Sunday so will be different to week day travel, but it was ok.

Some great info. Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get there once the visas come through and experience it first hand. Been looking into Hope island more recently, just wasn't sure on the commute if 1 if us did have to work in Brisbane. Thanks for that zk2102. What are the schools in Helensvale u mentioned?

Tina2 - do you live in Pimpama? How far is it to the beaches etc? Does it feel out of the way at all living there? Just going on where it's situated in the map.

Some great info. Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get there once the visas come through and experience it first hand. Been looking into Hope island more recently, just wasn't sure on the commute if 1 if us did have to work in Brisbane. Thanks for that zk2102. What are the schools in Helensvale u mentioned?

Tina2 - do you live in Pimpama? How far is it to the beaches etc? Does it feel out of the way at all living there? Just going on where it's situated in the map.

Not in Pimpama right now as down in Vic on contract, but family are there. Depends which beach you want to go to LOL there are plenty to choose from, but 15 to 20 mins will get you to a beach. Out of the way ? not at all, that's why there are so many schools there with an average of 2000 children in the high schools and not far off that in many of the primary schools. There is a train station at Ormeau direct to Brisbane it even has a gate direct into the Lords school grounds. Heaps of shops, medical centers, playgrounds and Helensvale is only 15 mins down the highway (if you want a target) with housing estates on both sides of the highway and more going up every day.To be honest the northern GC area is booming, Kings College have a large campus down at Ready Creek but the northern CG is growing so fast that is why they are now building a campus there. Was going to be prep to Gr 3 but now looking like Prep to Gr 5 in 2015 due to enquiries, so it may give you an idea of how many people are move into the area from Helensvale to Pimpama. You could even look at Pacific Pine another huge estate on the other side of the highway to Helensvale, again plenty of shops an schools. Of course the closer to the beach you are the more expencive the rent or buy price.

Guest Guest80482

Beddy is right no matter where you move to on the Gold Coast they are all good areas.

I'm in Helensvale myself and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I also work in Brisbane and drive in each day, takes about 45-50 mins at 5.45 in the morning, about an hour to get home. Train is 1 hour or thereabouts.

Plenty of schools, shops and easy for the beach.

Hi Aaron. The schools are Helensvale State Primary & Helensvale High School. My 10 year old starts on Monday. We had a tour around it today and got a really good vibe about it. I'll let you know how he gets on!

Hi zk2102,

just out out of interest, how long is the commute to Brissie from Hope island??

We've been living in/around Hope Island & working in Brisbane for 3.5 years now, early on we tried the train but rapidly got fed up with it, now we drive which is also a pain but usually quite a bit quicker. Train fares are not cheap but neither is parking in the CBD.

The train journey Helensvale->Central takes 1:05 to 1:10 and total commute depends on how far you live/work from the station at either end but from Hope Island to the Bris CBD was at least 1.5h each way for us, the peak hour trains get pretty full and often you're standing, especially on the way back. Driving is usually an hour(ish) sometimes a bit quicker/occasionally a lot longer (train can be delayed too).

Peak hour by car or train starts very early, we usually leave at 6:30 but I've done it at around 5AM and its still very, very crowded, not sure when peak hour ends, I've done it at 10AM also and by then its starting to quiet down, coming back its anytime after 3PM to well beyond 6PM. Our sleep patterns have totally changed, we are in bed by 9PM every night and up around 5:00, this is far from uncommon as its light early/dark early.

Sorry to be a bit of a voice of doom, its a lovely area but the commute is a fair commitment, however you do it.

Edited by freebo

We've been living in/around Hope Island & working in Brisbane for 3.5 years now, early on we tried the train but rapidly got fed up with it, now we drive which is also a pain but usually quite a bit quicker. Train fares are not cheap but neither is parking in the CBD.

The train journey Helensvale->Central takes 1:05 to 1:10 and total commute depends on how far you live/work from the station at either end but from Hope Island to the Bris CBD was at least 1.5h each way for us, the peak hour trains get pretty full and often you're standing, especially on the way back. Driving is usually an hour(ish) sometimes a bit quicker/occasionally a lot longer (train can be delayed too).

Peak hour by car or train starts very early, we usually leave at 6:30 but I've done it at around 5AM and its still very, very crowded, not sure when peak hour ends, I've done it at 10AM also and by then its starting to quiet down, coming back its anytime after 3PM to well beyond 6PM. Our sleep patterns have totally changed, we are in bed by 9PM every night and up around 5:00, this is far from uncommon as its light early/dark early.

Sorry to be a bit of a voice of doom, its a lovely area but the commute is a fair commitment, however you do it.

Yep, the commute doesn't look great. Where we lived in the UK we had to either drive or bus it to the station to get into London.That journey took about 1.5hr e/w. we've only got the one car right now so OH doesn't have a choice at the mo. We'll see how he gets on and hope that it's bareable.

Most of the work is in brisbane and that commute is crazy, id love to move there but its not worth 2 hours of my life stuck in traffic. Have you got a electrical licence? or have you just go your skills assessed because thats a whole world of pain doing that, anyway the firm I work for will be hiring in january if your still looking message me on here ill be able to give you a number.

I'm just in the process of getting my skills assessed now. Submitted all my docs for evidence and waiting for practical. Have you got your licence and did you get it in Queensland? Aiming to head out next August. Would be good to stay in contact if your firm are hiring around then thou? What kind of work you doing?

Hi Aaron. The schools are Helensvale State Primary & Helensvale High School. My 10 year old starts on Monday. We had a tour around it today and got a really good vibe about it. I'll let you know how he gets on!

Hi Zk. Yeah keep us updated and let me know how you get on with the school. Did you apply for the school before you arrived? How does it work with getting into schools before you arrive, in regards to the catchment zones?

Hi Zk. Yeah keep us updated and let me know how you get on with the school. Did you apply for the school before you arrived? How does it work with getting into schools before you arrive, in regards to the catchment zones?

Hi Aaron. With helensvale u have a catchment area which you can download from their website. You have to have an address before you apply. I was with a lady who sends her boy there and he loves it. She said that a lot of people rent in Helensvale for the first six months to get their kids in the school and then move to a different town. There aren't many rentals available around the catchment area. There were none available when we arrived!