887 Designated area vs Specified area

eageregan

Hi all,

Im hoping someone can help me.

I have lodged my application for the 887 visa after I contacted the department of immigration about a question, but im not sure they have given me the correct info. And now im thinking I need to alter my application.

I am currently on the 475 visa, sponsored by a relative which means I need to live and work in a designated area, which for me is Victoria. If you are sponsored by the state you need to live and work in a specified area which is typically low population areas. For the past two years I have lived and worked in Melbourne which falls under the designated area criteria.

On the application for the 887 it asks the question have you lived and worked in a specified area for 2 years and it provide a link to a definition of a specified area. The link brings you to a page that is the definition of a specified area if you are sponsored by a state, which does not include Melbourne. No mention of designated area at all.

When I rang the department they told me to answer no as I have not worked in this area as it was not a condition of my relative sponsored visa.

Is this correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Archived