489 extended stay pathway visa FROM OFFSHORE

WIandVAinWA

Hi guys,

we are on 475 regional state sponsored visa.

We already met the visa condition of 1 year work :biglaugh: and we need to live only 6 months to complete 2 years stay condition.

Some months ago we had to go back to our country for family reasons and we cannot move again to OZ shortly.

Our visa expires in Sept. 2015 and we would like to get an extension in order to have more time to arrange our next move.

Our questions are:

- can we apply from overseas for 1 year extension (489 visa extended stay pathway)?

- If it is possible, do we have to wait for 489 to be granted before going to OZ ? Or can we continue using our 475 visa before its expiry date ?

Thanks a lot in advance

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

yes you can apply off-sure (uk eg) and it costs around £200, to extend.

recommend doing it yourself - it's silly paying an agent to do it.

Just upload all your evidence and hit submit,

we had to redo the Medicals as it was 12 months over.

We heard back in about 3 weeks.

(If you miss something - the agent will let you know by email too.)

Honestly, don't pay an agent to do it if it costs so little to apply (minus the medicals! )

• 1 month later...

Yes you can apply offshore.

i think when you have lived in oz and have completed 12 months then you can apply for the 489

Double check coz things have might have changed, jus see how the new criteria States.

you have to prove you have survived that area.,! for that period of time!

Edited by Hotrod44

Can you apply on shore for this also? I heard you had to have fulfilled all conditions of 475 to to apply for this 489 extension which really does not make sense as in my case i am arriving a month late so will be 1 mth short on meeting the residency condition of 475.

How have you got on? PM me if your unsure x

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have been granted 489 visa with time frame (3rd April 2013 till 3rd April 2017). Earlier I spent 24 days in Adelaide on my initial entry in November 2013. I am planning to come by 1st June 2015 permanently.

Since my visa will expire on 3rd April 2017 and till that time even If I don't exit, my two years time frame (living in Adelaide) will not be completed to meet requirement for applying 887 visa from 489 visa. I have a job in hand and the 1 year work condition, I ll be able to meet.

Can you please advise me on this. I have seen on some forum that there are some bridge visa A & B available but not sure if they can help me and how can I apply for them and when should I apply.

thanks,

Izhar

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email addressed removed (use PM feature for privacy)

Bridging visas will allow you to remain in Australia if you apply for a new visa while in Australia. But time on the bridging visa won't help your eligibility for an 887 visa. You must complete the 2 years living in a regional area BEFORE you can apply for the 887.

Bridging visas will allow you to remain in Australia if you apply for a new visa while in Australia. But time on the bridging visa won't help your eligibility for an 887 visa. You must complete the 2 years living in a regional area BEFORE you can apply for the 887.

Hello MaggieMay,

what is the next best option in my case. I am facing shortage of a month to meet the requirement of 2 years on 489 visa.

Thanks,

Izhar

Hello MaggieMay,

what is the next best option in my case. I am facing shortage of a month to meet the requirement of 2 years on 489 visa.

Thanks,

Izhar

You need to start again and get a brand new 189, 190 or 489 visa. You have left it too late for this one, you could always move on this visa, but you are going to have to apply for another one before it expires. Do you know if you still qualify for skilled migration? You would have to do skills assessment again if it has expired.

You need to start again and get a brand new 189, 190 or 489 visa. You have left it too late for this one, you could always move on this visa, but you are going to have to apply for another one before it expires. Do you know if you still qualify for skilled migration? You would have to do skills assessment again if it has expired.

Hi,

thanks for the response.

if i apply for a new visa, will there be any benefit of having already a 489 visa and working in australia? Or i ll be considered as just a fresh visa applicant?

Edited by izharkazmi

Hi,

thanks for the response.

if i apply for a new visa, will there be any benefit of having already a 489 visa and working in australia? Or i ll be considered as just a fresh visa applicant?

It will be a brand new visa and nothing to do with the last one. In any case you need to get a wiggle on and will only have been in Australia for a few weeks/ couple of monhts maybe by that time I would assume?

It will be a brand new visa and nothing to do with the last one. In any case you need to get a wiggle on and will only have been in Australia for a few weeks/ couple of monhts maybe by that time I would assume?

No its not the case

i ll be moving to Aus in a couple of days and my visa is valid for 23 months. I am moving now with job so its only a month i am lagging to meet the 24 month visa condition.

No its not the case

i ll be moving to Aus in a couple of days and my visa is valid for 23 months. I am moving now with job so its only a month i am lagging to meet the 24 month visa condition.

Well it doesn't matter if you are only short a month, you are short and you need to apply for the new visa. You could do it after a year and get a few more points for Australian work experience, but what if your occupation comes off the list in that time? Then you are stuck, best get applying as soon as possible whilst you know you qualify.

Well it doesn't matter if you are only short a month, you are short and you need to apply for the new visa. You could do it after a year and get a few more points for Australian work experience, but what if your occupation comes off the list in that time? Then you are stuck, best get applying as soon as possible whilst you know you qualify.

Hi,

are you sure, there is no other way?

do u think i should consult with some mara consultant ?

Hello,

I have been granted 489 visa with time frame (3rd April 2013 till 3rd April 2017). Earlier I spent 24 days in Adelaide on my initial entry in November 2013. I am planning to come by 1st June 2015 permanently.

Since my visa will expire on 3rd April 2017 and till that time even If I don't exit, my two years time frame (living in Adelaide) will not be completed to meet requirement for applying 887 visa from 489 visa. I have a job in hand and the 1 year work condition, I ll be able to meet.

Can you please advise me on this. I have seen on some forum that there are some bridge visa A & B available but not sure if they can help me and how can I apply for them and when should I apply.

thanks,

Izhar

If you come to Australia as planned by 1 June 2015, and live and work in an eligible regional area (e.g. Adelaide), you will be able to apply early in 2017 for another 489 via the Extended Stay pathway which, if granted, will give you an extension of another year to 3 April 2018. If you apply for the extension in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging visa that will take effect when your original 489 expires if your 489 extension hasn't been granted by then. Bridging visas are only granted for onshore applications. The time spent on a Bridging visa that was granted because of an onshore application for a 489, can be counted in the 2 years residence (and the 1 year work) requirements for eligibility for an 887 permanent visa application.

If you come to Australia as planned by 1 June 2015, and live and work in an eligible regional area (e.g. Adelaide), you will be able to apply early in 2017 for another 489 via the Extended Stay pathway which, if granted, will give you an extension of another year to 3 April 2018. If you apply for the extension in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging visa that will take effect when your original 489 expires if your 489 extension hasn't been granted by then. Bridging visas are only granted for onshore applications. The time spent on a Bridging visa that was granted because of an onshore application for a 489, can be counted in the 2 years residence (and the 1 year work) requirements for eligibility for an 887 permanent visa application.

Hello Ozmaniac,

I dont think we can apply for another 489 visa as "EXTENDED STAY PATHWAY" because condition to apply same is to have one of the following visa. 489 is not in the list.

Did you or any of your known person adopted/suceeded in above scenario or its just your idea/thoughts? Please advise.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/489.aspx

Extended Stay Pathway

You can also apply for this visa if you hold a provisional visa in subclass 496, 495, 487 or 475.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++