Canberra - what is is really like??

aconcannon

Yes, all of the above so trying to just repeat everything, here's a few personal snapshots:

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT LIVING IN CANBERRA:

1. Really, really easy to get around. I've forgotten what a traffic jam is.

2. Everything is new and well maintained - and the rest of Australia pays to keep it that way.

3. Great schools.

4. Easy access to all the National museums, galleries, memorials etc.

5. It's the national capital so all the really important things do happen here e.g. Royal and presidential visits, political controversies etc.

6. It's still got a country town feel to it; being a 'long and thin' town if you head east or west you can be in the bush in 10 minutes

7. The hills. It's surrounded by stunning hills and mountains and you can see them from anywhere in the city.

8. The sky. Odd thing to say I know but with a dry climate we generally have clear skies and incredible views of the stars at night.

9. Spring and autumn; cool nights, warm days.

10. Being able to get to coast in 2-3 hrs (I go via Cooma and Bega) or the ski fields in 2.5 hrs (or Sydney in 3 hrs)

11. Driving to Sydney is boring but at least it's stress-free. There are very few cars on the road and even fewer heavy lorries.

12. Very little crime or drugs (or potential terrorists); Canberra is safe.

13. Very family-friendly with very few opportunities for even teenagers to get into trouble. A great place to bring up kids.

14. No-one has even been eaten by a shark or crocodile in Canberra.

15. Being the national capital it does have much more than its fair share of schools, libraries and hospitals.

16. The population is predominantly white, middle-class so no racial/cultural frictions.

17. Some great markets at Fyshwick, Hall and the bus-depot.

18. There is an increasing recognition of the need for more cafe culture such as the Kingston Foreshore development.

19. Plenty of riding stables around town. It was for my daughter but now even I ride!

20. Clean fresh air all the time and easy access to some great bush walks and climbs.

21. Occasionally having to slow down for kangaroos bouncing through the streets or across the field in front of my horse.

22. The birds; cockatoos, kookaburras and rosellas abound.

23. Good neighbours once you get to know them.

24. Free council-provided barbecue cookers in every park, camp site or outdoor attraction.

25. Favourite hang-outs: breakfast at the deep-space tracking centre cafe, Tidbindilla or coffee at the museum overlooking the lake.

26. Balloon festivals and seeing them inevitably come down in the lake!

27. Being able to walk over the top of the parliament building and rolling the kids from the top all the way to the bottom.

THINGS I DONT LIKE ABOUT LIVING IN CANBERRA:

1. Winter: Its cold and the houses aren't designed to cope so it can be freezing. Bring lots of insulating tape and dressing gowns.

2. Lack of decent pubs. For some historic/legal reason entertainment is dominated by clubs (but membership is only $5-10 per year)

3. Too few local villages to escape to for Sunday lunch or a mooch around.

4. Lack of jobs as you need to be citizen to work for the Public Service. I frequently end up travelling to Sydney on jobs.

5. It can be insular, you have to work to establish a social circle but it can be great once you're established.

6. The population is predominantly white, middle-class so if you want a bit of diversity you have to go to an embassy open-day.

7. Yes it can feel a bit like living in Stepford at times. No murders, no riots, no drugs busts. There was a spy scandal once.

8. Everyone obeying the speed limit so cars frequently drive side by side for miles 'blocking' the dual-carriageways.

9. Higher rental prices and petrol prices (but we still pay under $1.50 a litre for petrol).

10. No international flights, you always have to go via Sydney or Melbourne.

THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO ADAPT TO IN CANBERRA:

1. There's definitely less entertainment in bars/restaurants/cafes and more of making your own fun by visiting friends etc.

2. Make use of all the local outdoor facilities such as Cotter Dam, Tidbinbilla, Namadgi Park or just the local reserves.

3. Get into camping with friends on the coast.

4. Get the kids into sports teams as that's a good way to make friends too.

5. Very low-level street lighting at night - it's dark! (Apparently to help the observatory at Mount Stromlo)

6. Low-speed limits rigorously enforced by the police (they really don't have much else to do).

7. Fewer high-end shops, you'll need to arrange a shopping weekend in Sydney for designer brands.

8. Many of the best restaurants are hidden away in the 'burbs in the little 1960s style local shopping areas.

9. Book tables well in advance of going out for any holidays. You may need to book a table even to eat in a bar.

Overall probably many more likes than dislikes.

Guest Saldana
There are murders and drug busts though, just not as many as other places. I agree with most of what you said except my top don't like is Summer... haha

What's not to like about it?

For me...anything above 30 degrees is unpleasant, 35 positively unpleasant and 40 unbearable.....

I'd rather have Winter days any day of the week....gorgeous blue skies, it may be cold at night and early morning but Canberra winter days are beautiful on the most part.

For me...anything above 30 degrees is unpleasant, 35 positively unpleasant and 40 unbearable.....

I'd rather have Winter days any day of the week....gorgeous blue skies, it may be cold at night and early morning but Canberra winter days are beautiful on the most part.

Winter days are great until the gas bill comes in :wink:

Winter days are great until the gas bill comes in :wink:

Too true although we halved our winter quarter bill this year by the judicious application of insulating tape around the doors and buying flannel pyjamas and thick dressing gowns from the UK!

• 6 months later...

Me & my wife have been here coming up 4 years now & have an almost 2 year old girl. Like has been said before, Canberra to you depends what you want from living, buzzing culture, nights out & sparkle it aint, but if you like the countryside, clean air, big skies & can live with a small city mentality rather than the big buzz of Sydney or Melbourne then you'll maybe enjoy it. Wouldn't want to be here if I was in my twenties at it can be a bit 'dull' but as a retired Geordie weekend party guy it suits me fine...I think I have accepted my transition into adult life & Canberra is the place to be for that! That's not to say it doesn't have a nightlife, but not the pub / nightclub lifestyle I have grown up with...all good though! & a very good place for kids to grow up.

I have written about Canberra in the past on this forum to see how I felt at different stages of living here.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/act/155711-been-canberra-9-months-low-down.html#post1935886187

• 4 months later...

I found Canberra great for couples and families. Singles new to Canberra perhaps might find it a bit tougher. Having distinct seasons was also really nice - being able to wrap up and have a fire on in winter, colours of autumn etc. Summer can get pretty hot but it IS Australia after all. Floriade in Springtime is just beautiful. Within a couple of hours drive you can be at safe, sandy beaches for kids, in the country or in Sydney within 3 hours. Great walking/cycle tracks and a relatively low crime rate.

I spent most of my time living close to Civic but have also lived in Tuggeranong and Belconnen. There seems to be a crazy amount of new suburbs being built just now. It's sometimes easier to make friends and get to know folk when you are all new to a neighbourhood. Although I found Canberra to have a very transient population, I don't regret any of the years I spent there.