Renting, break lease and house buying in Perth - advice please dilemmas

Sulac

Hi all

I have a dilemma - can anyone help? I have been paying a whopping $1K a week for a rental property in North Beach. The one year agreement is up and its time to decide what to do. Problem is we wanted to buy but the sale of our house in England hasn't reached exchange and completion even though sale was agreed mid July.

Unlike in England where you can just carry on renting and give a months notice we have to tie ourselves in to another contract. I really don't want to pay $1K a week and tie myself in for a year - especially as hopefully money should be here from sale of our house in 6 weeks or so. Likewise I don't want to pay for removals to go somewhere wlse which may be for relatively short term.

I have heard the rental market has dipped with lots around compared to this time last year and opportunity to negotiate leases. How easy is it to break lease if I tie myself in again and would it be preferable to do 6 months or 12 months - the owners will not agree to periodical have already asked. Would it be cheeky to try to get price reduced by 10 or 15%? If I break lease what are the costs incurred to me?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Sulac:nah:

Unlike in England where you can just carry on renting and give a months notice we have to tie ourselves in to another contract.

The first thing you need to do is pull out your tenancy agreement and read it. The most usual agreement provides for your tenancy to convert to a periodic tenancy at the end of the fixed term - exactly like England. So you just carry on renting and give a month's notice. Maybe your landlord didn't use that agreement but it's worth double-checking - maybe the agent is bluffing!

If you sign up for another 6 or 12 months, the rule is that you have to keep on paying the rent until you find someone else to take over the tenancy - plus the agent's advertising costs.

I know moving is a hassle, but why not try calling his bluff? It's going to be expensive for him to find another tenant, so he may back down if you say you simply can't re-sign. The worst that can happen is that you have to move out and sign a 6 month lease somewhere else - but it will probably be cheaper so apart from the hassle of moving, you could even be ahead!

Hi all

I have a dilemma - can anyone help? I have been paying a whopping $1K a week for a rental property in North Beach. The one year agreement is up and its time to decide what to do. Problem is we wanted to buy but the sale of our house in England hasn't reached exchange and completion even though sale was agreed mid July.

Unlike in England where you can just carry on renting and give a months notice we have to tie ourselves in to another contract. I really don't want to pay $1K a week and tie myself in for a year - especially as hopefully money should be here from sale of our house in 6 weeks or so. Likewise I don't want to pay for removals to go somewhere wlse which may be for relatively short term.

I have heard the rental market has dipped with lots around compared to this time last year and opportunity to negotiate leases. How easy is it to break lease if I tie myself in again and would it be preferable to do 6 months or 12 months - the owners will not agree to periodical have already asked. Would it be cheeky to try to get price reduced by 10 or 15%? If I break lease what are the costs incurred to me?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Sulac:nah:

being

Have you thought about putting your stuff in storage and moving into a furnished short term rental? This would give you flexibility of being able to move out whenever you want and may work out cheaper. We have some of our stuff with Storage King and they even provided a van free -of-charge to move our stuff.

The first thing you need to do is pull out your tenancy agreement and read it. The most usual agreement provides for your tenancy to convert to a periodic tenancy at the end of the fixed term - exactly like England. So you just carry on renting and give a month's notice. Maybe your landlord didn't use that agreement but it's worth double-checking - maybe the agent is bluffing!

If you sign up for another 6 or 12 months, the rule is that you have to keep on paying the rent until you find someone else to take over the tenancy - plus the agent's advertising costs.

I know moving is a hassle, but why not try calling his bluff? It's going to be expensive for him to find another tenant, so he may back down if you say you simply can't re-sign. The worst that can happen is that you have to move out and sign a 6 month lease somewhere else - but it will probably be cheaper so apart from the hassle of moving, you could even be ahead!

I've only rented through three agencies here, but none of them have had anything in the contract saying they convert to periodic, and one of them I asked for that (they said no). Maybe it's a state thing?

Hi!!

just my my thoughts but if you're going to be in a position to buy relatively soon I would find alternative accommodation with short term options. The market isn't as hot as it was, like you we rented in the hottest market at $1100 a week and when we left he dropped it to $800!! Having been a landlord and a renter I don't blame him! A landlord wants as long a term security as they can get, if you feel you will want to quit the tenancy sooner than he wants you need to look at options, as a migrant we have moved 4 times in 4 years, a pain in the ass to say the least but finally living in our own home, no longer renting and looking back it was worth it to get to where we are now. If you do sign up for another year then in reality you have to cover the rent until there is another tenant and the rental market is not what it was, I have a friend in the same dilemma.

Wish you all the best but sooo exciting you could be buying your own piece of OZ very soon!!

Xxx

My landlord insurance specifically forbids monthly or non-lease tenancy, so it may be out of the landlord's hands.

Try negotiating for a reduced rent, have a look around on the rental sites to see what the equivalent rental is and ask for that, it may be in the landlord's interest to drop rent to keep you rather than advertise and risk losing rent.

This is my first post.i am a retired single lady with family living Perth area and I am considering moving to Perth on a permanent basis. I have a house to sell here, but I am finding it difficult to a locate a static mobile home site to purchase a home. Does anyone know of a site i can search.thank you

This is my first post.i am a retired single lady with family living Perth area and I am considering moving to Perth on a permanent basis. I have a house to sell here, but I am finding it difficult to a locate a static mobile home site to purchase a home. Does anyone know of a site i can search.thank you

hi thanks for your comments. I think the word "greedy" springs to mind. We offered them $850 for six months but they declined but said we could have it for an extra three months at $1K a week ie an extension (!!!!) - no good to us though as we are away for five weeks over Christmas, so we are going to look elsewhere.

They are overseas in Canada so maybe they are unaware of the downturn in the rental market.

Maggie I am sorry I can't help you with this - best to start a new thread as you will pick up more interest and you will find you will receive more comments. Good luck in your search.