MRT to 187 visa

sikku

No my mrt file hasn't open yet. But I have to leave country and can I come back?

You can come back if you have a visa? What visa are you on now?

Why are you appealing the 457 decision? Are you appealing because you think proper process was not followed, or are you just appealing because you want a visa and didn't get it?

You can make an onshore application for a 187 while holding a bridging visa A, B or C, provided that you are not prevented from making an application by section 48 of the Migration Act.

The reason you cannot make an onshore application in these specific circumstances is the combined effect of a) not holding a "substantive visa" (a visa other than a bridging visa) and b) the refusal of the 457. You are what is commonly referred to as "section 48 barred" from making a further onshore application for any visa other than a partner visa or protection visa.

This distinction is important, particularly if parts of this thread are read out of context by other users - if you held a bridging visa A (BVA) but had not had a refusal or cancellation then an onshore application would be possible.

It is possible to leave and make an offshore application for a 187 and then come back onshore - provided you are able to obtain a bridging visa B (BVB). However, you should carefully consider the reasons for the refusal of the 457 in the first place. If they relate to the suitability of your training and/or experience, these issues will inevitably arise again with a 187 application and you may be wasting the (at least) $3520 application fee.

If you leave without a BVB, you will have no visa to come back on. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of being granted a BVB. You need to have "substantial reasons" for travel. This provision may be interpreted more strictly if you are awaiting merits review (i.e. the MRT) than if you are waiting for a Departmental level decision. Wanting to make an offshore application for another visa in order to get around section 48 is unlikely to be seen as "substantial" by itself.

Edited by Visa Law