Mildew

carlosK

Hi Folks

We are problems with mildew in our apartment, despite the window being opened 80% of the time and doing all the advised things we still keep getting it, out letting agent reckons its a common problem in Sydney!! Does anyone else have this problem? The apartment is under two years old! I have been experiencing some respiratory issues lately, my GP says its most likely due to the mildew!! We have signed our lease till next year!! Can we terminate this before hand due to this?

Any help or advice welcome.

Sorry I can't make a comment on your lease.if you are experiencing health issues due to the mould,I would start tackling the mould asap.Not sure if you can buy them in Oz,but in the UK you can buy these plastic boxes (small)that contain beads of something (Bi carb???)that absorb excess moisture,They sell for around £1 each here.Dilute some bleach,and start sponging this over the mould.Obviously air your apartment whilst doing this and use care!

As has been said get the damp things from the supermarket or Bunnings and put them around. Sydney is humid in summer and as the agent said it will be a problem. Its a problem anywhere north of Sydney on the coast. Leather shoes go green, weevils get in the flour etc. There is a secret live in Melbourne Adelaide or Perth lol

Already got the Damp rid things and bought a dehumidifier, didn't make a difference. Most of my friends in and around Sydney haven't had a problem. Thanks anyway!! Definitely no plans to move to another state!!

We have it badly too- we are in the dark corner of the block so get no natural sunlight and it is all over the ceilings and blinds. We bought damp rid and put it in each room and it's helping. We like you do all sorts of things like open windows, blinds etc. We are moving in a couple of weeks partly due to this and we have made sure we have a unit that faces the right way. I posted on the pio facebook forum and got told it is common. One thing that did come up is the lack of ventilation blocks in our unit- well certainly visible ones. I have viewed loads of places and they did all seem to have damp patches. Hope you get it sorted and that for my sake our move to a sunnier aspect is going to help!!