Where to go

Guest51810

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you get to SA then Kangaroo island for some work should be on your list. The island itself is stunning and I know a few people who picked up casual work for their second yeah WHV (time of year research is needed as to what the seasonal work is).

Of course, you've got the Nullarbor to trek across. Worth a trip on one of those tour bus things. Takes about 10 days, I'd go from Perth to Adelaide if Perth is an early stop or Adelaide to Perth if Perth is your last stop.

Adelaide could be a decent place to spend some time in for casual work and just to see it all. Its not massive, has some lovely things and sees plenty of people on WHV's stopping for a while.

Feel free to share suggestions on places in Australia that are must see! I'm trying to make a list. So far it's just obvious ones like Fraser Island, Sydney etc :)

My goodness. How fricken long has this travel idea been going on!? :laugh: Just get here already!!!

1) Sydney

2) Lord Howe Island

3) Heron Island

4) Fraser Island

5) The Whitsundays

6) The Great Barrier Reef

7) Atherton Tablelands

8) The Daintree

9) Cape Tribulation

10) Cape York

11) Ayres Rock and The Olgas

12) Mataranka Springs

13) The Top End National Parks - Litchfield and Kakadu and Kings Canyon

14) Darwin

15) The Bungle Bungles

17) The Wild Flower West Coast

18) King Sound

19) Broome

20) Many more but not sure I can go on!........

21) B.F.E!

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Would be amazing if I could stay there for a little while. There's a helpx placement in a hostel in katoomba. 4 hours work for work and food etc. It says people often find work.

Haha jellybean, I always drag out my threads :laugh: can't come any earlier than november unfortunately! Still not sure what I'll do after my 2 weeks in sydney

Would be amazing if I could stay there for a little while. There's a helpx placement in a hostel in katoomba. 4 hours work for work and food etc. It says people often find work.

Still not sure what I'll do after my 2 weeks in sydney

probably stay there a while longer ;)

probably stay there a while longer ;)

I'm sitting here thinking that I wont want to stay for my 2nd year but the reality will probably be that I wont want to leave after my first year lol. My mums still winding me up that i'll end up meeting someone over there. Is that how you met your husband if you don't mind me asking?

@dxboz A few people have told me that, I'm definitely visiting there x

• 2 weeks later...
Im starting to think maybe Sydney wouldn't be the best place to settle down to save. Obviously it's expensive and maybe too many distractions?

My niece started her WHV in Sydney and never left! She eventually went on a whirlwind three week tour of Australia before she went home. So yes, if you get too into the Sydney backpacker lifestyle you may not want to move on. However, she did have auntie to stay with, so she wasn't paying expensive rent.

If your main goal is to save money to travel, then I'd recommend Brisbane as a starting point. Your rent will be very much cheaper, and you can go to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast on weekends very easily. You'll also be within easier reach of the Barrier Reef, rainforest etc.

Yeah I don't really want to end up stuck somewhere. If only I had the money to travel around without having to stop to work lol. I'm finding all of this really hard - between picking a stupid bag to deciding what I should do once I'm there and where's the best place to find jobs and deal with the weather as best possible. At the moment I've got 2 weeks in Sydney booked. If I don't stay on then I'm thinking maybe head to Melbourne?

Sydney can be ok for saving money if you don't mind room sharing. I work with a girl who is in a flat with 3 other backpackers, 2 to a bedroom. She pays $200/wk in surry hills. Probably get your own room in most other cities for that but if you're sharing with the right person may be a small sacrifice to live in sydney for a bit.