Where to go

Guest51810

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - it's one hell of a crazy place!!! We got chatting to some guy there one day who told us the village was formed after a festival in the 1960's - lot's of people were too high etc to leave and so the place is just full of hippies and as a result it's very free spirited - we were in the local park, which is next door to the police station, and we had people offering to sell us weed - it's crazy! Go for the experience because as far as I am aware there's nowhere else in the world like it!!

Yeah - it's one hell of a crazy place!!! We got chatting to some guy there one day who told us the village was formed after a festival in the 1960's - lot's of people were too high etc to leave and so the place is just full of hippies and as a result it's very free spirited - we were in the local park, which is next door to the police station, and we had people offering to sell us weed - it's crazy! Go for the experience because as far as I am aware there's nowhere else in the world like it!!

I went to Nimbin when we stayed in Byron around the Millennium. Although I only stayed an hour, got when i needed and headed back to Byron :) he he

Not sure if these places have been mentioned Stace but some of my favourite places near Alice Springs include:

- Kings Canyon, about 323 km southwest of the Alice

- Palm Valley, about 123 km southwest

- Serpentine Gorge, 100 km west

- Simpsons Gap, 18 km west

- Standley Chasm, 50 km west

- The Olgas, 365 km southwest

- Ayers Rock, 470 km southwest

Ayers Rock and The Olgas are virtually next door to each other and you can see The Olgas in the distance when you visit the Rock.

Also, a magical spot is Rainbow Valley just south of the Alice. At sunset the rocks look like they have turned to molten rock and the colours are amazing. Tourist buses arrive for sunset and then go again but we camp there and it is wonderful. Try to camp if you can as you will see stars like you have never seen before anywhere else. Be warned though there are no facilities (including no water) apart from a pit toilet.

Thanks! I've never camped before so that'll be a experience.. :laugh: on herm there was amazing view of the stars because we didn't have street lights or anything like that. I'd never quite noticed the stars as much as that before! So I think I'd really like Australia for that by the sounds of it. Cheers!

Nimbin!!!! You really ought to check it out - Australia's (and potentially the world's) most random but interesting little town - like a mini Amsterdam in the mountains!

I went to Nimbin awhile ago. Walked around, avoided eating any cakes, but was aware of a lot of smoke in the air.

went back to my cousins, felt very very tired, and slept for a couple of hours. Not sure it was because of the fresh air!?

I went to Nimbin awhile ago. Walked around, avoided eating any cakes, but was aware of a lot of smoke in the air.

went back to my cousins, felt very very tired, and slept for a couple of hours. Not sure it was because of the fresh air!?

Do they have brownies lol. That's the last thing I need - I'm a bit of a zombie at the best of times!

If you end up travelling north to Darwin from Alice Springs spend a night at the Daly Waters pub.

http://www.dalywaterspub.com/

@Bobj must know the place.

the night I was there in 04 the guy singing and on the guitar had chickens sitting on his hat. 2 European girls that worked in the bar that were about to move on we're singing as well, great night.

Not sure if these places have been mentioned Stace but some of my favourite places near Alice Springs include:

- Kings Canyon, about 323 km southwest of the Alice

- Palm Valley, about 123 km southwest

- Serpentine Gorge, 100 km west

- Simpsons Gap, 18 km west

- Standley Chasm, 50 km west

- The Olgas, 365 km southwest

- Ayers Rock, 470 km southwest

Ayers Rock and The Olgas are virtually next door to each other and you can see The Olgas in the distance when you visit the Rock.

Also, a magical spot is Rainbow Valley just south of the Alice. At sunset the rocks look like they have turned to molten rock and the colours are amazing. Tourist buses arrive for sunset and then go again but we camp there and it is wonderful. Try to camp if you can as you will see stars like you have never seen before anywhere else. Be warned though there are no facilities (including no water) apart from a pit toilet.

Some great places there big sis