Uluru & Alice Springs

jacktar

Uluru is a four hour drive from Alice Springs. If you do not want to drive then there are daily coach trips and/or overnight stays tailored to what you need.

Just be aware that it is a long drive to Alice Springs from wherever you start. Not all car hire companies will be willing to allow for such mileage. If you are planning to fly out to Alice that is of course different.

Uluru is a four hour drive from Alice Springs. If you do not want to drive then there are daily coach trips and/or overnight stays tailored to what you need.

Just be aware that it is a long drive to Alice Springs from wherever you start. Not all car hire companies will be willing to allow for such mileage. If you are planning to fly out to Alice that is of course different.

No fear: we weren't thinking of driving. [emoji8]

We r flying into Brisbane, visiting friends in Syd and near Adelaide + looking to drive the coast road Syd-Mel. We hv 28-30 days.

So apart form the Uluru trip you will be driving the rest between Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide ? Where are you leaving from ? Is it your first time to Australia ? Are you trying to find out about the best driving routes, order to do cities in etc, or is all that part settled and you just need Uluru advice ?

Edited by fish.01

So apart form the Uluru trip you will be driving the rest between Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide ? Where are you leaving from ? Is it your first time to Australia ? Are you trying to find out about the best driving routes, order to do cities in etc, or is all that part settled and you just need Uluru advice ?

It was abt Uluru and Alice. I was in Aus in 1962 - Perth and 1968 - Sydney when in the RN.

Just to let everyone know: we have made travel arrangements for our trip to Urulu; The Ghan from Adelaide 9th November arriving Alice the next day. A tour to Uluru is also booked and paid and a hotel room also organized. We will be flying with QA from Alice to Adelaide as one 20 odd hour train journey is enough. All in all it took around 30 mins. online to organise and book.

Edited by jacktar

• 2 years later...
On 9/13/2014 at 20:10, Sammy1 said:

My friends and I will visit Uluru this November, not sure which is the most transportation to travel around the area.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Did an organised group trip in 2012, flew into Uluru and out of Alice.  Did Uluru, Olgas one day, camped overnight and then drove to Kings Canyon another night, camped  lot and then to Alice for a night before flying to Sydney.

Alice is dodgy and you need to be careful at nighttime (we were advised to get cabs everywhere after dark).  TBH - I thought it was a bit of a dump and nothing there.  I'm in no rush back.

If I was to do it again, I would fly into and out of Uluru (covers the Olgas as well - can't remember the Aboriginal name) .  It may mean skipping Kings Canyon (which was good bit was it worth the 4 hour drive? I don't know).

Edited by Collie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Collie said:

Did an organised group trip in 2012, flew into Uluru and out of Alice.  Did Uluru, Olgas one day, camped overnight and then drove to Kings Canyon another night, camped  lot and then to Alice for a night before flying to Sydney.

Alice is dodgy and you need to be careful at nighttime (we were advised to get cabs everywhere after dark).  TBH - I thought it was a bit of a dump and not a there.  I'm in no rush back.

If I was to do it again, I would fly into and out of Uluru (covers the Olgas as well - can't remember the Aboriginal name) .  It may mean skipping Kings Canyon (which was good bit was it worth the 4 hour drive? I don't know).

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

3 hours ago, Loki Grundy said:

My friends and I will visit Uluru this November, not sure which is the most transportation to travel around the area.

Any ideas?

Please be very careful whilst you are there, DO NOT walk around at night on your own or even in a small group. It has got a lot worse since I left, I lived there for a few years. Alice still has something to offer to tourists, but you must be careful.
Most people go on a coach from Alice to Uluru or hire a car.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Sammy1 said:

Please be very careful whilst you are there, DO NOT walk around at night on your own or even in a small group. It has got a lot worse since I left, I lived there for a few years. Alice still has something to offer to tourists, but you must be careful.
Most people go on a coach from Alice to Uluru or hire a car.

Thank you for your advice.

Will do :)