Are all Aussie Landlords discriminating ?

ausHWC

Hey Peeps,

Tell me something guys and girls, what is it with Aussie landlords ? we have applied for a few rental properties online (using that 1form through estate agents) and on blind good faith of just seeing online photos we have applied, but always the landlord has gone with other application and no doubt they have chosen domestic applicants. Are we just wasting our time here? are Aussie landlords so blind to UK applicants and never consider them?

Has anyone had experience of successfully securing a rental from abroad in the UK? I would be grateful to hear of your experience and how you did it, many thanks in advance.

And oh in case you comment, yes we are considered as perfect renters:

- our combined salary is over $200,000 and this is secured sponsored with letter of support as evidence, so no worries there on rental payment.

- we are qualified medical professionals

- We are clean and tidy freaks! so will maintain any property very well.

So where are we going wrong here?

That would be really tricky. They tend to want to see the applicant in person. You might be able to secure a holiday rental for an extended period.

I don't think it's discrimination. For all they know you might not have a visa or turn up. When you're actually here with cash in your hand, it's a different story. So crack on and get your first weeks temporary accommodation sorted.

Besides which, the photos online can be very different from reality. And how can you get a feel for a suburb without at least driving through?

I don't want to be completely negative but I would say you are wasting your time - unless it has changed dramatically in the last year securing a rental is a cut-throat business. You need to be at the home open, had the forms and documentation (& often a hefty deposit) on the spot. You will be in competition with several others so you need to be sure your application is the best and that often means offering a rent higher than asked or offering more up front.

Any property that is 'easy' to get I would suggest you wouldn't want and i personally wouldn't trust the on-line photos - the house you are renting may be 'as described' but what about the neighbours?

It is probably not even the landlord dismissing you - there is a lot of referencing work that's done and quite frankly why would the agent both with overseas calls etc. when they have someone local interested.

I'm not saying it isn't possible but almost everyone takes a short-term furnished rental (holiday type rental) for the first month, that way you are there to make your application and assess the house properly.

The rental market moves very fast so if you are accepted for a property this week, you are expected to move in the next (or at least start paying) - how long is it until you move over?

And oh in case you comment, yes we are considered as perfect renters:

- our combined salary is over $200,000 and this is secured sponsored with letter of support as evidence, so no worries there on rental payment.

- we are qualified medical professionals

- We are clean and tidy freaks! so will maintain any property very well.

So where are we going wrong here?

You are going wrong by applying on the basis of online pictures alone. You need to go and see the property, I believe it is the law in most states in Australia that you have to see the property. All of us that have moved to Australia are Poms and we all found somewhere to live..

Just a note - one of the references you will need is from a previous landlord so if possible take that with you. That's sometimes hard if like us you haven't rented for years - in which case take a mortgage statement showing your regular payments and we also provided a current bank statement showing the funds available in our Australian account.

And to back-up what has been said, although it is stressful everyone does get accepted for a rental and usually within the first month!

We took a holiday rental for two months as we landed a month before Christmas - we collect keys on the 7th Jan - the good thing was we didn't have to move in until the container arrived.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Totally agree with the above, its not discrimination,it is their rules and for your own security. You have to view a property before they will consider you, if you are not in the country then you will need to find and pay a relocation agent who is here to view it on your behalf, even then its risky due to everyone's standards being different.

Cal x

Having just trawled through a number of properties that looked amazing online, you need to see the places before you rent!! We saw some right holes whereby the photos were either really old, or had been taken at strategic angles.

We got a holiday let for a few weeks and that has given us plenty of time to get a rental sorted. I would definitely recommend it.

To be fair to the OP, unless its changed here in Perth, you could rent unseen from the UK. We did it a couple of years ago.

We saw the property online, liked the look of it, contacted the agents via email, applied online sending through all the required docs.

we were a bit amazed we got it, this was at the height of the renting boom and apparently loads turned up for the home open.

we were v happy with that house, we even signed for a 2nd year.

It did save us a fortune over what we would have paid for a holiday or short term let.

i think we got lucky though, although rented through agents, the landlord was nice and accommodating, any issues we had were sorted in no time.

We knew nothing about the area or Perth before moving, google street view showed us the streets we would be moving too, some kind people on here provided a few links etc etc.

Like I said, I think we got lucky, knowing now how the rental market works here its not something I would recommend in general.

Pictures of advertised properties can be way off the mark when seen in real life...

Well I stand corrected I'm sure someone on here advised us that it was illegal. Was it furnished?

Err no...unless you count the boxes we had to use as coffee tables, lamp stands, bedside tables :laugh:

ahhh, the joys of being a new migrant arriving with only a suitcase each:swoon:

Thank you for the tips and info, all very useful and balances my view of Aussie landlords abit more evenly now, however as you all can appreciate every one's situation is unique and different.

In our circumstance, because of our sponsored job we are fixed to a specific location and coupled with our kids schooling tied to that area, we are restricted to a very defined locality as we do not want to have to commute long distances. And basically in that locality there are only ever a few house property that ever fits the bill or comes up at the premium level we want (eg: yes there are plenty of standard 3 bed houses available, but only rarely do premium 4-5 bed house with a good kitchen pops up for rentals in our area), so to a certain extent by default we have a limited choice to a house that fits the bill, hence we are happy to offer on a rental application from abroad going by online photos (I know, I know it is risky, but if there is only ever 1-2 that fits our requirements, hence why we want to secure these properties from abroad, because they go fast).

Oh well, just a shame that the rental process in Oz is not Pommie friendly, I guess I have to accept that this is the way it is. :frown:

Thank you for the tips and info, all very useful and balances my view of Aussie landlords abit more evenly now, however as you all can appreciate every one's situation is unique and different.

In our circumstance, because of our sponsored job we are fixed to a specific location and coupled with our kids schooling tied to that area, we are restricted to a very defined locality as we do not want to have to commute long distances. And basically in that locality there are only ever a few house property that ever fits the bill or comes up at the premium level we want (eg: yes there are plenty of standard 3 bed houses available, but only rarely do premium 4-5 bed house with a good kitchen pops up for rentals in our area), so to a certain extent by default we have a limited choice to a house that fits the bill, hence we are happy to offer on a rental application from abroad going by online photos (I know, I know it is risky, but if there is only ever 1-2 that fits our requirements, hence why we want to secure these properties from abroad, because they go fast).

Oh well, just a shame that the rental process in Oz is not Pommie friendly, I guess I have to accept that this is the way it is. :frown:

Pommie friendly? There are many Aussies looking for rentals, it's a competitive market. Landlords are neither Aussie or Pommie friendly, they just want to rent their property to the most suitable, usually local applicant.

Get a short term rental and then start looking. Otherwise, hire an international property locator who can view it for you. Most agents will not rent to an unseen client.

What's being a Pom got to do with anything? It's a competitive market and one's nationality should have little to do with it. Expecting a bending of the rules to accommodate one potential client over others because of their place of origin would be discriminatory indeed. They're obliged to ensure you've seen a place you hope to rent.

A few options then,

As you are sponsored, can't you get in touch with the company sponsoring you and see if someone will view on you behalf.

We did this for friends moving over, they too got the house while still n the UK, they just had to write and sign on the application that they were renting unseen.

use the services of a locator, or one of you come before the other and sort things for the rest of the family

Guest The Pom Queen

I was a relocation agent in Melbourne and the agents wouldn't even deal with us. They wanted to see the applicants personally, and come on you can't blame them.

Not only that but they found that people who hadn't viewed the property themselves were the most likely to break the contract once they arrived. I don't know the rental situation in WA but in Melbourne there would be 20 applicants going for the same property, depending on the location and schools.

You will also find agents don't run after you over here, you have to chase them and that goes for the Aussies as well. They have enough applicants for a property without doing anything and if an agent does chase you be very concerned as it usually means no one else wants the property

To be honest like others have said please DO NOT go off photos. Agents are very good at manipulating photos.

It's nothing to do with being a Pom. We've been here a week and a half. Spent a week in a holiday home on a camp site. Viewed about 15 properties in three days and secured a perfect rental in a week. We had looked at loads online from the UK and as others have posted. Most are years out of date inside ( like 1950's style lol) so you'd be very unwise to try and rent without seeing them. Out of 15 we looked at only 2 were suitable. Hopefully that gives you an idea of how it works. It's nothing to do with being a Pom or Chinese or anything else. And for the record we are in Adelaide and have had the most friendly welcome from everyone we've met.

Photos are often many many years old - often before the property was ever rented out even if it was 10 years previously.

Tiny gardens look massive etc.

I would echo everything that everyone else had said and not even consider renting a property that I haven't seen.

I mentioned in a post before, a few months back, how surprised I was when our old rental was re marketed .

they just used the old photos that they had used when it was posted online 2 years back.

those photos had been taken when it had all been repainted, no furniture, lovely enticing photo of the pool etc.

fair enough we Didnt wreck the place or anything, but there was 2 years wear n tear that someone new Wouldnt know about from looking at photos