IELTS - Hard of Hearing (long, but desparately need advise!)

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

I wrote the following question to Australia house:

I am hard of hearing, and have taken the IELTS test twice now. The results of the listening module were 6.5 the first time, 6.0 the second time around (special test for the hard of hearing). The results for the other three modules were between 7.5 and 9.0 on each of the tests. To obtain the 10 points we need to be able to apply for our visa, I need band 7 on EACH of the modules. However, it looks like that's never going to happen, as I can't hear every single word. Is there any way that I can get exemption from the listening part, and still obtain my 10 points at all? Can you refer me to somebody that can help me with this problem?

This was their reply: Unfortunately there are no provisions to receive an exemption.

So they are saying that because I am hard of hearing, NOT because I do not understand English, I cannot get the points I need for a visa, and will not be able to apply for a VISA??? Isn't that discrimination under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995?

I am a translator from English into Dutch, have received my TRA from NAATI as a translator, so there is plenty of evidence that my understanding of English is more than sufficient. I just can't hear very well!!

Isn't there anybody out there who can help me with this problem at all??? I am desperate and feel extremely frustrated because this is to do with my handicap, nothing else.:arghh:

Any advise is welcome!

Thanks,

Karin

Guest Tracey from Braintree

Hi Karin,

I know that this doesn't help with your frustration over the treatment you are receiving with regard your IELTS result but are you using an agent? There are ways of getting extra points other than the IELTS and a good agent could maybe help you.

We are using Go Matilda who have been great - I will put a link below, it's free for an initial consultation. There are other recommendations on this site too.

I hope you find a way, it certainly seems unfair that they can use your hearing disability against you.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

Good luck,

Tracey.

I wrote the following question to Australia house...

This was their reply: Unfortunately there are no provisions to receive an exemption.

I think you may be contacting the wrong people. Oz immigration needs you to pass the IELTS to get your extra points. They can't waive that. However, if you talk to your IELTS testing centre, or maybe the IELTS organisation themselves, they may have some provision for hard-of-hearing applicants.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Karin

I agree with Ben, I think you should contact your local IELTS centre for further advice.

Look at IELTS - English for International Opportunity to find your local centre.

I found this for you on the IELTS website. It gives some answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and it covers provisions for candidates with special requirements:

IELTS - English for International Opportunity

So it may be that they will be able to take consideration of your hearing difficulties if you contact them direct. I'm sure this kind of thing must have occurred with other would-be emigrants at some point.

Good luck!

Mrs Tyke x

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

Thanks for your reactions. Unfortunately, I am already aware of the provisions IELTS can make for people with disabilities. I did the test twice, and rather than sitting in with all other people and listen to the speakers, I sat in a different room, had the test read to me by someone sitting opposite me, was also allowed for it to be read twice, but am still unable to hear every single word, which you need to, when you want a band 7. Or I think I heard it right, but obviously must have been mistaken, as the results weren't what I needed. I went to the IELTS administration last week, and they sent me to the DIAC, as there is nothing IELTS can further do to help me.

I am at the end of my thether, and really don't know who to turn to anymore.....

Hi Karin,

Don't despair! You haven't said yet if you are using an agent? Please read my reply above, it may help.

Hope so anyway,

Tracey.

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn
Hi Karin,

Don't despair! You haven't said yet if you are using an agent? Please read my reply above, it may help.

Hope so anyway,

Tracey.

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your message. When we first started looking at getting a visa (now two years ago, still not even lodged!!!!), we thought it would be an excellent idea to get the help of an agent, and decided that Thinking Australia was going to help us. As it turns out, they did absolutely nothing to help us, I had to find out myself that our situation changed after the September changes last year, which is why I decided on doing the IELTS test (it's another long story).

We gave Thinking Australia a lot of money, and they did absolutely zip for us, so I am now extremely reluctant to give another agency a lot of money too, while I will not be too sure whether they can help us or not...:skeptical:

It seems like the odds have been against us to try and get this visa :wacko:

Karin,

You have nothing to lose by trying another agent. I would say either fill in the online questionnaire on the Go Matilda website or even PM Alan Collett who owns the company and is a frequent PIO visitor. They will not take any money from you until they think you are eligible, then you pay in installments at each stage of the application (if your application doesn't make the first stage you pay nothing!).

I cannot say I have read a single bad thing about them (unlike many other agents).

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

Alan Collett

I hope I have done the links right but I'm sure you will work it out if not. Go for it, don't give up without exploring the possibilities.

Tracey.

Guest leanneandmark

I would definately give Go Matilda a call. We spoke to 2 other agencies that said we could only go on a student visa!!

Go Matilda listened to what we were telling with regards to OH career history and between us found the right option. It took 4 months of to and foing but we got there in the end .

Now just gotta get the visa.

Thanks for your reactions. Unfortunately, I am already aware of the provisions IELTS can make for people with disabilities. I did the test twice, and rather than sitting in with all other people and listen to the speakers, I sat in a different room, had the test read to me by someone sitting opposite me, was also allowed for it to be read twice, but am still unable to hear every single word, which you need to, when you want a band 7. Or I think I heard it right, but obviously must have been mistaken, as the results weren't what I needed. I went to the IELTS administration last week, and they sent me to the DIAC, as there is nothing IELTS can further do to help me.

I am at the end of my thether, and really don't know who to turn to anymore.....

Karin,

I would consider having an initial free chat with my colleague Lorraine Beaumont. You can reach Lorraine on Southampton number 023 80 30 2525.

Best regards.

Archived